The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Correct, but to replace the liners cost WAY more than a good used block like Rich's LS6.
Unread 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

I went to the machine shop today. I don't need to go any bigger on the bore.The bore size as it is right now will accept stock bore forged pistons. So the block will be back tomorrow after a slight crosshatch is done.I will be going to pick up my LS6 heads shortly.Gee maybe I will have my car back for Christmas.Not going to hold my breath on that happening. The biggest problem will be the EF Live tune.Nobody does that in Panama City.
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #23
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy61 View Post
I went to the machine shop today. I don't need to go any bigger on the bore.The bore size as it is right now will accept stock bore forged pistons. So the block will be back tomorrow after a slight crosshatch is done.I will be going to pick up my LS6 heads shortly.Gee maybe I will have my car back for Christmas.Not going to hold my breath on that happening. The biggest problem will be the EF Live tune.Nobody does that in Panama City.
Why does it have to be EFI Mike? Maybe you can send Phil a PM but I think any tune can be downloaded. I use HP Tuners. I think Tracy knows also.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #24
vetteguy61

the tune from the first 383 build was tuned with EF live.I just as soon stay with that since it's already in my computer.It may need some slight adjustments for me to be able to dive it for the break-in period.After 1000 miles I'll take it and have it dyno tuned.It should be pushing 500rwhp when tuned correctly.
Unread 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #25
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
the tune from the first 383 build was tuned with EF live.I just as soon stay with that since it's already in my computer.It may need some slight adjustments for me to be able to dive it for the break-in period.After 1000 miles I'll take it and have it dyno tuned.It should be pushing 500rwhp when tuned correctly.
I can't even imagine 500 HP. Mine seems pretty fast at 350.
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #26
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It doesn't work that way, Mike. EFI is just a programmed METHOD of tuning the data in your computer much like different web browsers view the data that comes from web servers. The program used to do the tuning is basically a preference thing of the tuner. For instance, Jim Smith is using some GM specialty programmer to do my car, but when he is done, I can use either EFI Live or HPtuners to capture the tune in my car afterwards. And so can any other tuner. The data really doesn't care which program is being used to view and manipulate it.

So when someone says they are an EFI Live tuner, that's because they have spent the money on the software and licenses and have learned to use that particular tool. It has nothing at all to do with what programming tool the previous tuner used on the car.

But what is IMPORTANT, is that the person using whatever tool they choose to in order to do the programing be proficient in that particular method of tuning.
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #27
vetteguy61

Well the tune was done by Mr.Harwood when the stroker motor was first done.
So maybe I better go with something else.
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
Tampa Tuning
Tampa Tuner

Name : Phil
Tampa Tuning is on a distinguished road

You the owner of the car shouldnt care to much about which tuning software the tuners uses, but you should get a feel for his ablity to use the software.

I use HP Tuners. Back when I got into tuning, the better choices were
HP Tuners, LS1edit, and EFI. Its a leap of faith whichever program you use, then learn how to use it properly. I couldnt jump from HPT to EFI, because it would be completely new for me.

As far as your build, if your current tune is set up for a 383, I would not start or drive it if your new build is something differant than a 383 ie 346 or 427 CI. Id get a start up tune for your current build so your investment doesnt go up in smoke.

If its still a 383 and you have differant heads, or a slightly differant cam, your car will still run ok, but crappy.

I hope that helps

www.TAMPATUNING.com
813-727-8720

Corvette Camaro GTO CTS-v Dyno Charger and Challenger DYNO Tuning in Tampa, Brandon, St. Petersburg, Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #29
vetteguy61

The only change to the motor was a set of LS6 heads.It's still a 383 with the same cam that was put in for the first build.It ran crappy before so that wouldn't be anything new to me.Since I won't be running it at high rpm's or speeds for the first 1000 miles just a good drivable tune would be fine.
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #30
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Why does it have to be EFI Mike? Maybe you can send Phil a PM but I think any tune can be downloaded. I use HP Tuners. I think Tracy knows also.
Quote:
The only change to the motor was a set of LS6 heads.It's still a 383 with the same cam that was put in for the first build.It ran crappy before so that wouldn't be anything new to me.Since I won't be running it at high rpm's or speeds for the first 1000 miles just a good drivable tune would be fine.
That's why I asked the question Mike. I asked Phil to reply to this thread so he could explain it better than I. Thanks Phil.

The important thing is to find a good tuner and don't worry about the program he uses unless you plan on tweaking the tune yourself. I'm like Phil and use HP Tuners. I also have a friend that is a tuner in N.C. and he uses HP Tuners. That allows me to exchange files from these guys because we all use the same program. If I wasn't tweaking, it wouldn't matter to me what program the tuner used.