The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 11-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
stormin9mm

Name :
stormin9mm has disabled reputation
Default Red LCD on dash

I purchased my 1999 C5 a few months back and never really paid allot of attention to a red LED just to the left of the CD slot in the dash. Seems to have been put there for a purpose, but not sure what. Person I purchased the car from went to the UK in the military, so I can't ask him. Never has lit up. Any ideas?
stormin9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road

I got this info from my Owners Manual.

Theft-Deterrent Feature
THEFTLOCK@ is designed to discourage theft of your radio. It works by using a secret code to disable all radio functions whenever battery power is interrupted. The THEFTLOCK feature for the radio may be used or ignored. If ignored, the system plays normally and the radio is not protected by the feature. If THEFTLOCK is activated, your radio will not operate if stolen.
When THEFTLOCK is activated, the radio will display LOC to indicate a locked condition anytime battery power has been interrupted. If your battery loses power for any reason, you must unlock the radio with the secret code before it will operate.

Activating the Theft-Deterrent Feature
The instructions which follow explain how to enter your secret code to activate the THEFTLOCK system. Read through all nine steps before starting the procedure. If you allow more then 15 seconds to elapse between any steps, the radio automatically reverts to time and you must start the procedure over at Step 4.
1. Write down any three or four-digit number from 000 to 1999 and keep it in a safe place separate from the vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Turn the radio off.
4. Press the 1 and 4 pushbuttons at the same time.
Hold them down until --- shows on the display.
Next you will use the secret code number which you have written down.
5. Press MN and 000 will appear on the display.
6. Press MN again to make the last two digits agree with your code.
7. Press HR to make the first one or two digits agree with your code.
8. Press AM FM after you have confirmed that the code matches the secret code you have written down. The display will show REP to let you know
that you need to repeat Steps 5 through 7 to confirm your secret code.
9. Press AM FM and this time the display will show SEC to let you know that your radio is secure.

Unlocking the Theft-Deterrent Feature After a Power Loss
Enter your secret code as follows; pause no more than 15 seconds between steps:
1. Turn the ignition on. LOC will appear on the display.
2. Press MN and 000 will appear on the display.
3. Press MN again to make the last two digits agree with your code.
4. Press HR to make the first one or two digits agree with your code.
5. Press AM FM after you have confirmed that the code matches the secret code you have written down. The display will show SEC, indicating the radio is now operable and secure.
If you enter the wrong code eight times, INOP will appear on the display. You will have to wait an hour with the ignition on before you can try again. When you try again, you will only have three chances to enter the correct code before INOP appears. If you lose or forget your code, contact your dealer.

Disabling the Theft-Deterrent Feature
Enter your secret code as follows; pause no more than 15 seconds between steps:
1. Turn the ignition on.
2. Turn the radio off.
3. Press the 1 and 4 pushbuttons at the same time.
Hold them down until SEC shows on the display.
4. Press MN and 000 will appear on the display.
5. Press MN again to make the last two digits agree with your code.
6. Press HR to make the first one or two digits agree with your code.
7. Press AM FM after you have confirmed that the code matches the secret code you have written down. The display will show ---, indicating that the
radio is no longer secured. If the code entered is incorrect, SEC will appear on the display. The radio will remain secured until the correct code is entered.
When battery power is removed and later applied to a secured radio, the radio won’t turn on and LOC will appear on the display. To unlock a secured radio, see “Unlocking the Theft-Deterrent Feature After a Power Loss” earlier in this section.

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Good question. My '02 Z has no red led next to the cd slot, nor could I find any mention (or picture) of it in my owners manual. Maybe an aftermarket alarm system the previous owner had installed? I had an alarm system installed in my '98 T/A and they put in a red led so I could tell from outside the car that the system was activated. Just a guess.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Please post a pic of the LED so we can better try to figure out what it may be and help you.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curacao View Post
I got this info from my Owners Manual.

Theft-Deterrent Feature

Activating the Theft-Deterrent Feature

Unlocking the Theft-Deterrent Feature After a Power Loss

Disabling the Theft-Deterrent Feature
Oh Boy. These instructions bring back bad memories. I owned a 2005 Buick Park Ave that had this feature. I forgot the secret code and the only way I could get the radio to work was to drop the car off at the dealer. They had to take the radio out of the dash in order to fix the problem.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote