The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 07-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #21
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Guess it depends on the type of show. I don't do "shows" where you place and compete for points unless it's just to hang out. At Setzers here in Tampa, if you show up you get a trophy. I have a shelf full of them. Looks cool but means absolutely nothing

I go for the comaraderie Hanging out with fellow gearheads and vette lovers...and friends.

I think the original post was regarding the old school "drive in" type shows. They weren't really "shows" as much as they were meeting spots.

We would all get to Big Boy or Steak & Shake around 7:30-8pm and come and go all night....just like the American Graffitti cruise in

It was great. You bench raced, looked at each others mods, ate, had some drinks (soft drinks) and then headed out for whatever...racing, movies, a little....well we won't go there...then you always came back at the end of the night for 1 last pass.....

I'd love to see this type of cruise in happen again

Instead of the static lets all sit around and you can't leave until the trophies are passed out type

Just my $.02

Gordon

I agree!! I have not been to any "cruises" in years. When I was growing up in the 70's, Tallahassee was the place to cruise on Friday and Saturday nights. A little stop light street racing banter on W. Tennessee, hangin out at the What-a-Burger on Thomasville Road, checkin' out the Babes at Big Daddy's. But after being stationed in the San Jose/San Francisco area of California in the late 70's, it became apparent that we didn't know Jack about Cruising! Man, I have never seen so many cool cars on a street at one time! Just like American Grafitti, up and down El Camino Real. There was usually around 2500-3000 cars on "the strip", which was about four-five miles long. I'm talking classic, hot rods, Vettes, you name it (but no low-riders, they stayed down in San Jose). One time they posted flyers in Oakland, San Mateo, and all over the San Fran area. They estimated 10,000 cars showed up that weekend....bumper to bumper. It was awesome! From what I hear now, they have closed that portion of El Camino Real between the hours of 9:30 pm and 5:00 am except for emergency vehicles to try to discourage the cruising. I'm sure it still goes on though! If I ever have an excuse to go back out there, I'll arrange to stay on a Friday/Saturday evening and check it out again. (I hope the "tuners" haven't taken over!)
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Thats what really pisses me off about our local governments!!!!

Clearwater did the same thing to the beach. They closed it and made making more than one pass an offense???? Crusing is a crime now

We (HCSO) used to be instructed to run the car out of the parking lots when they began to gather. I guess we'd rather have them all on the street racing and raising hell, than in one place where we can find them and keep an eye on them??? Well, that certainly made sense

I'm trying to organize a real "cruise in" at a local spot where crusing was big when I was a kid. So far they have been very receptive, but frankly, I put it on hold after our F-body group caved in on itself

Hopefully I can regenerate it (the spot) and we can relive some of the spirit of crusing once again?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #23
Hardball

Name :
Hardball is on a distinguished road

Thats what I'm talkin about. Cruizen from the Krystal to the Mcdonalds. Stop, have a burger talk to some people, look at the cars, and show what you brought. Then continue the loop. Before long there's a whole new group of people to see and talk to.
Now, the business owners complain about the parking and congestion.

Oh well, us old timers just long for the good old days...
Hardball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #24
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default Cruzin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Thats what really pisses me off about our local governments!!!!

Clearwater did the same thing to the beach. They closed it and made making more than one pass an offense???? Crusing is a crime now

We (HCSO) used to be instructed to run the car out of the parking lots when they began to gather. I guess we'd rather have them all on the street racing and raising hell, than in one place where we can find them and keep an eye on them??? Well, that certainly made sense

I'm trying to organize a real "cruise in" at a local spot where crusing was big when I was a kid. So far they have been very receptive, but frankly, I put it on hold after our F-body group caved in on itself

Hopefully I can regenerate it (the spot) and we can relive some of the spirit of crusing once again?
Shadow...
If you get a cruise going, like in the time of the "muscle cars", let me know. I am down south in Bradenton but Deb and I will bring our vettes up for a nice cruise night.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #25
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail
Shadow...
If you get a cruise going, like in the time of the "muscle cars", let me know. I am down south in Bradenton but Deb and I will bring our vettes up for a nice cruise night.

Joe B.

You got it Joe!
Unread 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #26
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Count me in my ninja turtle brother. Mark
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #27
gauSZ06

Name :
gauSZ06 is on a distinguished road

I have not even looked into it with the Z.

Several years ago I joined the local fbody club since I own a 35th SS LE. I envisioned 30-40 well cared for fbodies actually cruising somewhere, but all we did was meet at various places, park the cars, then hang out and just look at them after some fast food. Just didn't do it for me.

I once attended an event in VA with the SS where about 100 or more fbodies cruised through the Shenandoah Nat'l park on Skyline Drive and that was nearbouts a religious experience. To look back in the rearview mirror and see nothin' but fbodies draped over the hills in a huge line was just plain awesome and to see everyone's jaws drop when we went by.

I guess that spoiled me for cruise ins.

ordered:08/03/06
born:09/12/06
delivered:10/06/06

"people on 'ludes should not drive!"--Jeff Spicoli
gauSZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #28
repodude43

Name :
repodude43 has disabled reputation

I go to about 4 to 5 per month. If yall want to come to a good one we have first friday ever month probaly at least 200+ cars we take over the whole downtown panama city.Prob at least 50 vettes. Live music all kinds of booths put up its fun .Sure some of the tallahassee crew has been. You will have more people talk to you than you want.Just look for the best looking 93 torch red vette and you will find me .Looking at it wishing mine look that good
repodude43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 12:34 AM   #29
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by repodude43
I go to about 4 to 5 per month. If yall want to come to a good one we have first friday ever month probaly at least 200+ cars we take over the whole downtown panama city.Prob at least 50 vettes. Live music all kinds of booths put up its fun .Sure some of the tallahassee crew has been. You will have more people talk to you than you want.Just look for the best looking 93 torch red vette and you will find me .Looking at it wishing mine look that good
How about taking some pics and posting them so we can get a feel for that cruise? Probably be a while before I can get away from here, but it sounds interesting....
Unread 07-31-2007, 04:49 AM   #30
Shadow

Name :

Pics would definately be nice.

PCB would be a cool place for a CorvetteFlorida gathering one day. Great scenery, beaches, hotels, and hit the cruise in

Mabye a small, 2-3 day deal?