The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #1211
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Unread 12-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #1212
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Cats strata will break it hammered on or banged around. Can only be slipped on and clamped or the next ones will break as well. Dosent take alot to break the ceramic strata.
Unread 12-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #1213
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1 View Post
Cats strata will break it hammered on or banged around. Can only be slipped on and clamped or the next ones will break as well. Dosent take alot to break the ceramic strata.
Yeah, I think I was living on borrowed time with them. All it would take is for one to break up and the turbo on that side would be history.
Unread 12-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #1214
Rich Z

Well, I will say that I'm darn glad I got that lift. I'm sure this would all be a major pain in the butt trying to do it laying on the floor underneath the car on stands.

Anyway, the cat delete pipes came in today. But I'm still cleaning up the mating surfaces of the pipes so they will go together easier. Probably won't get the exhaust system back together today. I sure am glad I have that pipe end spreader thingie I bought. Will make it much easier putting this back together with those female ends a little looser.

Are there any negatives to using something like anti-seize compound at the exhaust pipe joints to make the joining and positioning them easier?

I did find that missing bolt in the tunnel plate. It was just sitting in a box of hardware that had been in my trunk when I brought the car home. Lucky thing, too, I guess, because I checked ALL the tunnel plate bolts and every one was at least a half turn too loose.

BTW, got a question for anyone who would care to hazard an opinion.

Would it be better to have the X-pipe directly after the headers, or have the cat delete pipes inbetween the two? Since I have unused plugged bungs on the X-pipe, I'll be able to use that when I get my wideband figured out. So there are two variables to consider: (1) In respect to the wideband, would it be better closer to the headers? And (2), does it make any difference performance wise where the X-pipe actually is located in the exhaust?

Oh yeah, I noticed that the pipe on the driver's side of the X-pipe is 1 inch longer than the other side. Is that normal?

Thanks...
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #1215
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Nice work Rich...so why did you ever drop this car off at a shop? You could have done all the work yourself!
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #1216
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
Nice work Rich...so why did you ever drop this car off at a shop? You could have done all the work yourself!
No, I couldn't have done this all myself. I didn't have a garage and lift when I decided to do this. Even now, I don't have the capability, nor desire, to pull out an engine and drivetrain. I thought I could trust people to do this work for me, and I am quite disappointed in the quality of workmanship I have received from them. That, and the fact that I have now paid TWICE to have this sort of work done, and really don't wish to pay yet a THIRD time for it.

Both Chris Harwood and Aaron Scott knew that I was doing this mostly as a way to promote this site with this build, and I was going to be making it as public as possible. And look what I STILL got from them..... I guess people just no longer have any pride in their workmanship, and don't give a damn about what people think about them.
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #1217
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Man, that is crazy. You do think with someone documenting your work to broadcast it for free to possibly get them more work, they'd taken top notch care of you. Pretty amazing what people will do to each other these days. Everyone wants something for nothing. Man do I love a hard days work for our clients...I not only want them to come back to us, but to tell their friends. Why has that changed for so many people?

Whoa, I'll get off the soap box. :P
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #1218
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
Man, that is crazy. You do think with someone documenting your work to broadcast it for free to possibly get them more work, they'd taken top notch care of you. Pretty amazing what people will do to each other these days. Everyone wants something for nothing. Man do I love a hard days work for our clients...I not only want them to come back to us, but to tell their friends. Why has that changed for so many people?

Whoa, I'll get off the soap box. :P
Maybe I just expected too much out of people.

With Chris Harwood, he did quite a few small jobs on my vehicles and did very good work. Went above and beyond in many instances, plus he was a sponsor here, and certainly knew he would be in the spotlight with my build. But it still went sour.

With Aaron Scott, he is well known in this area and is very well respected. No one had a bad word to say about him that I could find anywhere. To say I was shocked and highly disappointed with the condition of my car when I got it home and inspected it is quite an understatement. In a phone conversation with Aaron he said "Rich, your car was a piece of sh!t when it came in here, and it was a piece of sh!t when it left." So why did the guy have my car for 14 months and not be able to make it NOT be a "piece of sh!t" when he said it was ready for me to drive it home? Why did he TREAT my car like a "piece of sh!t" instead of making it RIGHT? Did he seriously think I would want to take my car BACK to someone who would say something like that?

Yeah, trusting people is for the frickin' birds.

So I am forced to try to do everything I can myself on my car.

Speaking of which, that guy Charlie Stumpp from Panama City came over here, what, a couple of weekends ago to help me with the fuel leak and took a look at the idle tuning. I paid him $100 for his work and asked him to look over the car, take note of what needs to yet be done (including replacing that screwy fuel system that Harwood put in there), and get back to me with a price. Haven't heard a peep out of him. So he's out. I am certainly not going to chase anyone to take my money and I am NOT going to ignore even the smallest red flag any longer.
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #1219
ironhorse
Road Warrior

Name :
ironhorse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Maybe I just expected too much out of people.

With Chris Harwood, he did quite a few small jobs on my vehicles and did very good work. Went above and beyond in many instances, plus he was a sponsor here, and certainly knew he would be in the spotlight with my build. But it still went sour.

With Aaron Scott, he is well known in this area and is very well respected. No one had a bad word to say about him that I could find anywhere. To say I was shocked and highly disappointed with the condition of my car when I got it home and inspected it is quite an understatement. In a phone conversation with Aaron he said "Rich, your car was a piece of sh!t when it came in here, and it was a piece of sh!t when it left." So why did the guy have my car for 14 months and not be able to make it NOT be a "piece of sh!t" when he said it was ready for me to drive it home? Why did he TREAT my car like a "piece of sh!t" instead of making it RIGHT? Did he seriously think I would want to take my car BACK to someone who would say something like that?
Rich, the money you spent with these two guys, you could have had Kateck or LPE build a killer motor, and had money left?...Hang in there, you will get all of the Sh*t sorted out...
ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #1220
Rich Z

Rats..... Still got some exhaust leaks at the header collector/X-pipe junction. Not sure why, but maybe there is a lip on one of the pipes I didn't notice when I had it apart. And got condensation leaking out of the cat-back flanges. I forgot to put permatex sealant there, so that's likely why. Guess I'll be pulling it back apart again. Damn... I'd rather do 10 things once than 1 thing again....

I'll put the cat deletes at the headers this time, however.

I've got to figure out some way to may that spring hanger easier to hook back up this time. Maybe wrap it up with wire ties to keep it where I need it to be.

Oh well, Connie is working Friday and Saturday anyway, so that will keep me off the streets..... Supposed to rain, and I guess there will be worse places to be than playing in the garage.

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports