The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 03-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking 97 and 03

My 1997 locked up in the driveway and Ferman came over and fixed it.

When I got the new 2003 "Zee", it was the first thing I did to the car, was to install the by-pass. It good advice to all "C5" owner's to have the CLB installed today.

THEN GET INTO THE SERIOUS MODS!!!!

JIM
Unread 03-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I actually bought a CLB a while back and when changing out my shifter, looked to tackle the install of this thing. Looked like a real pain in the butt to me, as I just couldn't figure out how to get my fingers to that plug. So I just held onto it and took it down to AntiVenom to let Greg do it.

I figured he could do it in 10 minutes, taking time to drink a coke at the same time. But he couldn't get it to work and figured it was defective. Tried another one he had at the shop, and that one wouldn't work either.

So I'm still waiting for the opportunity to have Greg put one in when I happen to be down that way and he has one in stock. Hopefully my steering wheel won't lock up on me in the meantime.....

I wasn't willing to do the GM mod because the first one needed to reflash the PCM and all that really did was to cut fuel delivery if the signal said the column was still locked and the car was moving more than 2 miles per hour. Thanks GM! That really helped! I believe the latest recall actually removes the lock plate from the steering column, but I haven't had that done. Guess I was waiting for feedback from others who had it done first. Not really a good idea being the first on your block with some things......
Unread 03-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #13
Yellow

Name :
Yellow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
Needless to say, mine's on the way (CLB) . Damn if this isn't a scary thing to have happened. LMAO. Just glad my other C5 doesn't have this problem.
(very late 2001) Wife say's she'll change mine out for me......yea right!!!

My 02 locked several times (with the GM fix-computer was never touched)....so I would not be too sure. I now have the CLB.
I think all C5's and some C6's have this issue
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default Thanks Yellow,.....you've just changed my mind

As so far as the wife's 2001.
My CLP just came via UPS. will keep ya all advised how the install goes.
But for sure will change out the the 2001 as well.
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default NO GO folk's

Installed the by pass CLP and steering column still locked.
Went to 97vette.com for further instruction's, nothing worked.
Pulled fuse 25, cancelled the Service Locked Column, and the Remove Key 10 seconds. But Column still locked.
Pulled fuse 25 and 29............waited a couple minutes, reinserted fuses put key in started the car, column still locked.
Started car, while running pulled fuse 25 let electric pump run out gas. Turned ignition off, reinserted fuse 25, turned ignition back to ON position..........Column still locked.
Ran all codes, cleared computer banks..........disconnected Battery for 5 minutes...............reconnected battery............turned ignition to ON, column still locked.
Haven't given up yet.....will disconnect BCM and report back.
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 01:59 AM   #16
Rich Z

I don't think the CLB fixes a locked column, only prevents it from happening.

I've heard that people have been successful getting it free by jerking the wheel violently left and right to free up the mechanism. Do that with the key OUT. I believe they were probably pissed at the time, and surprised when that worked......

But evidently it HAS worked for a number of people.

Also, in some cases the battery being weak has caused the problem, and replacing the battery fixed the problem.
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

Also, in some cases the battery being weak has caused the problem, and replacing the battery fixed the problem.
Worked on mine about 30,000 miles ago!! Had the recall done at about 18,000 miles,Column Locked at about 23,000 with a bad battery!!!Replaced the battery and All was well!! 52,500 miles now,haven't had any problems!!
Unread 03-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #18
Rich Z

I've had a number of battery problems lately and so far (knock on wood) have not had the column lock problem. Generally, what I do is to not even touch the steering wheel after I pull the ignition key or before I start the car. Not sure if that helps, but my thinking is that it would help PREVENT a jammed mechanism if I don't move the steering wheel while it is engaged.

I use an aftermarket steering wheel lock which I always engage before I shut off the ignition, then unlock after the car is started.
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I don't think the CLB fixes a locked column, only prevents it from happening.

I've heard that people have been successful getting it free by jerking the wheel violently left and right to free up the mechanism. Do that with the key OUT. I believe they were probably pissed at the time, and surprised when that worked......

But evidently it HAS worked for a number of people.

actually it will unlock a locked column....and it will never lock up again.....8 years on my 99 since the install and no issues since. Did the 02 last year and a week later I got the Sevice Column Lock message...without the CLB I am sure it would have locked up.
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
Installed the by pass CLP and steering column still locked.
Went to 97vette.com for further instruction's, nothing worked.
Pulled fuse 25, cancelled the Service Locked Column, and the Remove Key 10 seconds. But Column still locked.
Pulled fuse 25 and 29............waited a couple minutes, reinserted fuses put key in started the car, column still locked.
Started car, while running pulled fuse 25 let electric pump run out gas. Turned ignition off, reinserted fuse 25, turned ignition back to ON position..........Column still locked.
Ran all codes, cleared computer banks..........disconnected Battery for 5 minutes...............reconnected battery............turned ignition to ON, column still locked.
Haven't given up yet.....will disconnect BCM and report back.

did you use the adaptor to power the column lock and unlock it?? You must unlock it first by applying power. I know if you don't follow procedure it won't work. I have an adaptor if you didn't get one. If all else fails there is tons of info on the other board but I have never heard of anyone NOT getting their column unlocked with a CLB....but there is always a first.
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote