The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
16again

Name : Bob Mancuso
16again is on a distinguished road
Default Clear Tail Light Lens Mod

How's this for different? AMBER LED's just need to be changed to RED. Also i'll change out the 3rd. brake light.

16again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
FourG63 97GST

Name :
FourG63 97GST is on a distinguished road

wow, that looks really good, goes with the silver well
Unread 05-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Do they allow amber to be used for brake lights? Check out these conflicting statutes!

316.221 Taillamps.--

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in s. 316.217, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and pickup trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, which were originally equipped with only one taillamp shall have at least one taillamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one taillamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable. An object, material, or covering that alters the taillamp's visibility from 1,000 feet may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a taillamp.

316.224 Color of clearance lamps, identification lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, reflectors, and deceleration lights.--

(1) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

(2) Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop light or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber. Deceleration lights as authorized by s. 316.235(5) shall display an amber color.

316.234 Signal lamps and signal devices.--

(1) Any vehicle may be equipped and, when required under this chapter, shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake, and which may but need not be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps. An object, material, or covering that alters the stop lamp's visibility from 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a stop lamp.

Am I reading these right? Two say red or amber and one says only red?

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
MADN3SS

Name :

Whether right or wrong, I do like them. They look damn cool on silver!

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
Unread 05-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
16again

Thanks for the props. As for legal, I only put the AMBER LEDs (car is parked in garage) in as the red have not arrived yet and a buddy had the ambers. So they will be RED on Tuesday and very legal at that. My concern is the led lights tend to bleed (or fade) in the sunlight. I'm hoping the red led's won't do that. I have tried the colored standard bulbs which work very well, however with a clear lens you see them I don't want to see any color through the lens unless the bulb is lit. Hopefully when the red ones get here it they work well and are bright enough during the day to be safe.
Unread 05-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
MADN3SS

Name :

BTW, what color did you paint the part of the rear fascia about the tail pipes?

Unread 05-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
16again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADN3SS
BTW, what color did you paint the part of the rear fascia about the tail pipes?
That's DUPLICOLR Black Bumper Coating. Worked very well, worst part was masking everything off. I applied 4 total coats and it looks great.
Unread 05-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
MADN3SS

Name :

I don't have clear lenses, but I do have the l.e.d. tail lights. They are pretty damn bright.

BTW, I just noticed in your original post that you said you were changing them to red.....

Unread 05-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
16again

I really like the lights that you have. I just want to be different. It's possible that I might have to drill small holes in the light housing and install mutiple seperate led's. I'm hoping it does not come to that but I need to be comfortable that in bright sunlight the vehicles behind me will be able to see the light. I want to be different, but I also want to be safe.
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADN3SS
Do they allow amber to be used for brake lights? Check out these conflicting statutes!

Am I reading these right? Two say red or amber and one says only red?
The way I see it red is required, but if you choose to run a european set up with 2 red and 2 yellow or amber lights it would be legal as long as the red was in there somewhere.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote