The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #21
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

One of your option codes will tell which rear you have. It will start with a G. I expect you have the base diff, but I don't know what that is on a C6. On a C5 A5 it's a 2.73, which is pretty lazy.

A quick review of the C6 forum on CF reveals that I am out of my depth regarding C6 diffs...and apparently lots of other folks are too. Much disagreement and misinformation. Call Phil at Dynotech, and ask him what you have and what your options are. They *know*, because they work on the things every day.

The Corsa is a catback. That is, it's just the rear portion of the exhaust, and does not include the "x-pipe" (a misnomer). That's fine, changing an x-pipe is not cost-effective. If you get longtube headers it will come with a new x-pipe, but other than that leave it alone.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #22
Gannet

Name :

I finally found the info on A6 gearing. Forget my comments on changing the rear gear, that's right out.

The A6 comes with these ratios, 1-6: 4.02, 2.36, 1.53, 1.15, 0.85, 0.67, and a 2.56 rear axle. That yields overall ratios of: 10.29 6.04 3.92 2.94 2.18 1.72
Compare that to a C5 M6, which has overall ratios of: 10.91 7.30 5.33 4.10 3.03 2.05

The A6 is an exceptionally wide-ratio transmission. You really can't change the rear gears without making the top or bottom impractical. If you ever mod the engine, you're going to have to shoot for a very wide power band. It would work slick with a big-inch engine. It wouldn't work well at all with a peaky head/cam setup.

Best bet would be to put a catback on and wait a year or so for the mod scene to settle out. It's too new; let someone else bleed on that edge.
Unread 01-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #23
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

So Dave, Do I just place the Corsa Sport onto my current X pipe or is it better to connect to Corsa long tubes and attach it to the current manifold? If I understand you correctly, the factory could have made a better gear package for that extra torgue and WOW factor. Mark
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #24
Gannet

Name :

Looking at the Corsa catalog page here, it looks like you don't have any choice. You have to buy a "full" system with pipes and mufflers, as apparently there is something special about the A6 setup. For the Sport exhaust, get PN 14167.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with GM's gearing choices, per se. I'd have chosen differently, but then that's part of why I got an M6.
Unread 01-21-2007, 12:01 AM   #25
THOR

Name :

I see what you mean Dave. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I wish I could have gotten a M6 but due to a left leg injury, I am unable to handle a clutch with my left foot. So I had to settle for an A6. It's still alot of fun and I don't regret it one bit.
If you ever get down this way, let me know and my wife and I will treat you and your wife to lunch. Anna Maria Island is kind of old Florida and Funky. We can wake up the Island with your B&Bs. Mark
Unread 01-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #26
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Mark,

I guess I did not realize that you are on Anna Maria island. We have good friends that retired there a few years ago. They have a '67 silver and a '00 red and both are verts. Anna Maria is not that large, I am sure you will bump into them at some point.

Rich
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #27
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default WOW...

Awesome thread and great posts!!! Lots of info to be had here!
Unread 01-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #28
Gannet

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427
Mark,

I guess I did not realize that you are on Anna Maria island. We have good friends that retired there a few years ago. They have a '67 silver and a '00 red and both are verts. Anna Maria is not that large, I am sure you will bump into them at some point.

Rich
So are they CorvetteFlorida members yet?
Unread 01-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #29
Gannet

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mte.smiles
I see what you mean Dave. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I wish I could have gotten a M6 but due to a left leg injury, I am unable to handle a clutch with my left foot. So I had to settle for an A6. It's still alot of fun and I don't regret it one bit.
Sorry to hear about the injury. Got a couple of those myself.

Nothing to regret on the A6. I drove a couple when we were shopping and I thought they were very cool, one of the best features of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mte.smiles
If you ever get down this way, let me know and my wife and I will treat you and your wife to lunch. Anna Maria Island is kind of old Florida and Funky. We can wake up the Island with your B&Bs. Mark
Waddya mean, "if we ever"? It's not far, and we drive a lot.

If we can get Rich to get his friends online, maybe we could get a little mini-cruise going here. I've been wanting to do some smaller things with just a few other cars (like 1-4) down around that way. I envisioned something like cruise + meal + some attraction, not necessarily in that order. "Attraction" might be something like Mote Marine Aquarium, Selby Gardens, Caspersen Beach, etc. Some of these are great Corvette destinations, but it gets unwieldy trying to take a bunch of cars there.

As to lunch, ever been to Snook River Grill?
Unread 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #30
THOR

Name :

I haven't tried the Snook River Grill yet. I do want to take you to Bones-really FUNKY. I haven't met any fellow vettes here yet but a little cruise with 4-5 cars would be fun. It would be a great excuse for me to pick that brain of your! HMMMMMMM.