The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 07-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #21
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road

Awesome Thank you Junkie. That doesn't look to hard.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #22
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Awesome Thank you Junkie. That doesn't look to hard.
No,it's not hard!! Now if you don't mind I'm going to go and clean this back up before I put it back together!!!!

PS No thanks is Necessary!!!! But when your ready to Up Grade to a Newer Model,Before you Buy,Give the gmjunkie a try!!! www.gmjunkie.com
gmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
sandman

Name :

No problem Thank you. p.s. I like your website. Got some real nice cars. Maybe I can trade mine in some day!
Unread 07-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #24
sandman

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie
No,it's not hard!! Now if you don't mind I'm going to go and clean this back up before I put it back together!!!!

PS No thanks is Necessary!!!! But when your ready to Up Grade to a Newer Model,Before you Buy,Give the gmjunkie a try!!! www.gmjunkie.com
I will!!!!!!!!!
Unread 07-19-2007, 06:47 AM   #25
sandman

Name :

Hey Junkie
Well I cleaned the contacts on the key and tumbler and this morning my car did the same thing. It just would crank and crank. I ordered a new door switch from GM for 25 dollars. It is to be here today. I am going to have the fuel filter changed today and have them hook up the code reader and see what fault codes they get on it. I will bet a paycheck I will go home today and it will fire right up. I have4n't checked for spark yet but I think if it were not getting spark that that would not be intermittent. It would never start. I am wondering if it is getting any gas. Or maybe it is temp. related. During the day I never have a problem. Fires right up every time. But in the mornings It just won't start most of the time.
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #26
sandman

Name :

Is there a handheld decoder I can hook up when this happens again that will tell me what it might be wrong?
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:36 AM   #27
gmjunkie

Quote:
Hey Junkie
Well I cleaned the contacts on the key and tumbler and this morning my car did the same thing. It just would crank and crank. I ordered a new door switch from GM for 25 dollars. It is to be here today. I am going to have the fuel filter changed today and have them hook up the code reader and see what fault codes they get on it. I will bet a paycheck I will go home today and it will fire right up. I have4n't checked for spark yet but I think if it were not getting spark that that would not be intermittent. It would never start. I am wondering if it is getting any gas. Or maybe it is temp. related. During the day I never have a problem. Fires right up every time. But in the mornings It just won't start most of the time.
The Vats shuts down the fuel pump 1st,and if you get that By passed then it will shut down the Ignition!! Some of the later ones shut down Starter,then Fuel,then Ignition!! Thats why I said it's a good system,a thief will be there All Day!!
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:39 AM   #28
sandman

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie
The Vats shuts down the fuel pump 1st,and if you get that By passed then it will shut down the Ignition!! Some of the later ones shut down Starter,then Fuel,then Ignition!! Thats why I said it's a good system,a thief will be there All Day!!
Mine could be shutting down the fuel system. Shouldn't it reset after 10-15 minutes? I waited ten to 15 minutes this morning. Should I be able to hear the fuel pumps waking up when I turn the key?
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #29
gmjunkie

Quote:
Is there a handheld decoder I can hook up when this happens again that will tell me what it might be wrong?
I don't think it will tell you anything unless there is something not right with the Vats mogul itself,it may if it is something other than the VATS!! You can by pass the Vats,buy measuring the resistance in the pellet and getting 1/4 watt resisters at radio shack to make the right resistance!!! The wire is under the knee pad by steering column!! It's a small 2 wire plug,just unplug it and stick the leads of the resister or resisters in the Car side of the plug!! Inside this the heat shrink is 3 resisters on this one that is by-passed!! But Remember This car will start then Hot Wiring or by breaking the lock out of the column and a screwdriver !!! PS This is a very common problem on older GM!!

Last edited by gmjunkie; 05-13-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #30
sandman

Name :

Thanks Junkie. I will try that. I won't leave it permanently like this. I just thought that if it won't start then I can bypass the vats just to see if it will start. If it does then I can trouble shoot what part in the vats system is not working properly. With this in mind I believe it is my wore out door switches which will come in today. eventually I will get it. I don't give up that easy. I read a thread about a DIC. What is that a code reader? Just curious. I am going to get mine read today because I have an engine service light on.