The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlanke
Rick if you do want one my partner and I have a shop here in town that does service and mods on vettes. We put a magnacharger on a SSR with a LS2 a couple of months ago.
Hmm, maybe we need to talk about this.......

As for the video, what does that whine sound like inside the vehicle? I would think it would get on my nerves if it is constant driving down the highway.
Unread 08-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
KBlanke

Name : Kenny Blankenship
KBlanke is on a distinguished road

With the magnacharger it was not much of a noise at all until you got into it.
KBlanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #13
EZ GOIN
Gold Member

Name :
EZ GOIN is on a distinguished road

OK, I'll be the first to go against the gain.

I've never seen a maggie car that impressed me (at the track) and two of the three I've seen at the track where done by Lingenfelter. They look nice polished and sound AWSOME at WOT but I've yet to see one really perform up to the standards I think a "SUPERCHARGED" vette should live up to.JMHO

Its been awhile since I've looked into superchargers, but if it where me I'd have to go with the Vortech and I believe it was a SQ trim, very quite, almost no whine and performed absolutely awsome. It will also fit underneath your stock hood, which is a plus for me.

Who was it that said STS TT?
EZ GOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #14
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Hmm, maybe we need to talk about this.......

As for the video, what does that whine sound like inside the vehicle? I would think it would get on my nerves if it is constant driving down the highway.

Rich,

Get with Robert (Pewter99). He has one on his 99. Looks and sounds absolutely awesome!!!

FWIW, although certainly there are more efficient ways of making huge amounts of power, (TT/NOS, etc), NOTHING....and I mean NOTHING (IMHO of course) beats the look (polished), sound and SOTP feel of a Maggie supercharged vette for a daily driver
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Rich,

Get with Robert (Pewter99). He has one on his 99. Looks and sounds absolutely awesome!!!

FWIW, although certainly there are more efficient ways of making huge amounts of power, (TT/NOS, etc), NOTHING....and I mean NOTHING (IMHO of course) beats the look (polished), sound and SOTP feel of a Maggie supercharged vette for a daily driver
Well if I decide to go with something like this, one of the prime limitations is that I do not want to exceed the safety margins of the lower end of the engine nor the rest of the drive train. I don't expect the engine to last forever, but I don't want to dramatically shorten it's likely lifespan by asking too much of it. And yeah, the Maggie certainly does have a certain BLING! factor to it. But I don't know if an extra grand for polishing it is really worth it to me.

As for Robert, heck I haven't seen him around here lately. I thought I read a post somewhere that he has a Maggie himself, so yeah, I guess I would value his input.

But I will tell you, reading about the Kenne-Bell unit sure sounds interesting. And I believe price is comparable as well.
Unread 08-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well if I decide to go with something like this, one of the prime limitations is that I do not want to exceed the safety margins of the lower end of the engine nor the rest of the drive train. I don't expect the engine to last forever, but I don't want to dramatically shorten it's likely lifespan by asking too much of it. And yeah, the Maggie certainly does have a certain BLING! factor to it. But I don't know if an extra grand for polishing it is really worth it to me.

As for Robert, heck I haven't seen him around here lately. I thought I read a post somewhere that he has a Maggie himself, so yeah, I guess I would value his input.

But I will tell you, reading about the Kenne-Bell unit sure sounds interesting. And I believe price is comparable as well.
I know he's been busy and what have you. Haven't even seen him around brand X recently.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #17
Rich Z

I was just over on z06vette and found a video clip of a Z06 with a Kenne bell install......... http://www.rockreadytj.com/KB/Z06vid.wmv

Sounds virtually SILENT to me! No whine at all like the Maggie produces.
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Yea but if your not driving it 100 plus miles a day for work, then the whine is part of the novelty (like the bling-bling polished unit). You have a Jeep if you want a quiet ride. Also I would figure that the occasional jump on it from a rolling start like most of us would do, wouldn't be THAT hard on your motor. If you go drag race it every weekend, and turn it way up to get every pound of pressure out of it then you may have trouble.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #19
Rich Z

Well, there appears to be a wrinkle in this idea. Apparently there are some overheating issues some people are running up against with these power adder systems. There is a thread over on cf I was reading the other night that was digging into the problem a bit. The impression I was getting reading that thread is that these systems are all more prototypes or beta test units, rather than production "tried and true" systems.

Pewter99 was on that thread as well mentioning overheating problems with his maggie....

I'll have to read up more on this. Not really interested in spending this kind of money in order to buy into a major headache. The extra power isn't a good tradeoff for having an overheating engine because of it during normal driving.
Unread 08-30-2006, 03:54 AM   #20
Rich Z

Well, I'm even looking at the centrifugal units now. Got price quotes from ECS and A&A that don't sound bad at all. They both recommended Mike Norris in Altamonte Springs to do the install. On the other hand, IvoZ06 got my interest when he was talking about selling his c5r 427, but he changed his mind about that plan. It would have been more expensive then a s/c but I think it would have been a more interesting route to take.

Been reading a lot of talk about the TTix twin turbo system that seems to be getting rave reviews. Looks like a nice setup, but the drawback there for me would be I would have to discard the LGM Pro headers I just had put on recently. Way too much money for me to just throw away!

I've tried contacting Kenne-Bell a few times now to find out some details, but none of my requests have been responded to.

Engine overheating is still a concern, however. Not sure what to do about that as some seem to have problems and others don't. Sure would hate to spend the $$ and find out I am one of those with a problem.