The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 10-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road
Default C5 head/cam owners in Pinellas area - help a fella out?

Do you have a C5 with a head/cam swap? Do you live in or near Pinellas? Maybe you could help me out.

I'm getting ready to start the engine mod program on my '02. I've been reading and reading on Corvette Forum and LS1Tech. Trouble is, it's hard putting this stuff into perspective. What does (for example) a cam with so-and-so spec really sound like and act like in real life? Not having the experience, I don't know.

Everyone has their own opinion as to what is "streetable". Some guys think if they can drive it from their house to the strip, fill it up there on race gas, and drive back, it's streetable. Me, I want a fun car but I also need to put a *lot* of miles on it without fuss, and yeah, since I live in Tampa Bay, sometimes I get stuck in bumper-to-bumper idle-jams.

One day I think I want an "Old Man" hotrod, stock manifolds and all. Then I go to a speed shop and hear some car with loud headers and a big cam and go Wow! is that Cool!

So what I'd like to do is meet up with some local owners, hear your car, talk to you about what your combo is like to live with, maybe get a ride. I'll buy beer/dinner/gas, whatever. I'm not a "show" guy so I don't much go to shows, but if there's some informal gathering or another I could attend where I could get exposed to different cars, that would be great. Or we could meet one on one, I'm flexible.

Any volunteers or suggestions?

TIA!
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
IVOZ06
CRAZYME

Name :
IVOZ06 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a cam only Z16 done by AntiVenom

Cam Specs:

AV Cam 224/228 581/588 113

412rwhp

This cam has a nice lope and is extremely streetable

Let me know if you want to here it sometime.

Ivo

ivoz06@tampabay.rr.com
813-468-8776

"When I'm good I'm very good but when I'm bad I'm better."
CLICK FOR MY PICS
2001 Z06 TR/Mod Red 400 rwhp
LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN, NO REGRETS
IVOZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Actually going to a show just might be EXACTLY what you need to do. The big one next month in Tampa might be well worth the trip.

Sorry I can't help you myself, as I didn't go the H/C route with my Z. I did such things with my GTO many moons ago, but back then, the choices were limited and rather simple for cams. Pick a brand name (Isky, for instance) then tell the salesman if you wanted "one half", "three quarter", or a "full race" cam. That was IT. It is MUCH more complex now.
Unread 10-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVOZ06
I just bought a cam only Z16 done by AntiVenom

Cam Specs:

AV Cam 224/228 581/588 113

412rwhp

This cam has a nice lope and is extremely streetable

Let me know if you want to here it sometime.

Ivo

ivoz06@tampabay.rr.com
813-468-8776
I'm looking forward to hearing yours at the show Ivo. That will really give me an idea of what a cam only would sound like.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Stop in at RevXtreme.com and we can show you several combo's in person to listen to!
RevXtreme 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
MADN3SS

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1
Stop in at RevXtreme.com and we can show you several combo's in person to listen to!
A buddy of mine and I plan to stop in at your Tampa location. I heard that there is an indoor dyno.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

We will give you the grand tour! Totally enclosed chassis dyno sunk in the ground & climate controlled for better tuning with changing air. Ask for Tracy or Dino.
RevXtreme 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was there yesterday. Silver coupe that did a lousy dyno pull (note to self: arrive at least 1 hr early for dyno appoinment for cool-down). Really enjoyed meeting you all.

That blue 408 convertible was KILLER! I LOVED the sound and smell of that car! Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

In fact, being around that car was what convinced me that I needed to get out in the real world and meet some of these cars in person, and hence this thread.

I don't know what that thing would be like to live with in traffic, but it was one bad-ass Corvette. Someone told me the cam was like a 242 or something. Do you happen to know?
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
IVOZ06
CRAZYME

Name :
IVOZ06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We will give you the grand tour! Totally enclosed chassis dyno sunk in the ground & climate controlled for better tuning with changing air. Ask for Tracy or Dino.
Grand Tour....

I went to check out your new shop as the new dyno was being installed.

I walked in the showroom no one was in there, I walked around and down the ramp, walked to the back and came back out the front.

No one even looked at me or even said hello

"When I'm good I'm very good but when I'm bad I'm better."
CLICK FOR MY PICS
2001 Z06 TR/Mod Red 400 rwhp
LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN, NO REGRETS
IVOZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
MADN3SS

Name :

One thing I know I don't need...a tune. Z is tuned by master tuner FRC TOM.
I'm working on finding an exhaust leak before I bring it in.

Scott