The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 01-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
GentleBen

Name :
GentleBen has disabled reputation
Default Oh this is going to hurt!

I went for a little joy ride in the vette today but it didn't end so joyous. I just got a ticket for 92mph in a 45! I guess its such a large infraction just sending in your money isn't enough, I have to go to court. Please don't think I was just tooling down the highway that fast, ( I would never endanger my life or others driving that crazy) I had a left turn to make about a 1/4 mile up the road and simply put her in third and gave it some gas. The road ahead was clear so what the heck. Just as I was letting off the gas a trooper with radar on passed in the other direction, BUSTED! You got to love the timing. First time I've ever cursed the fact the a vette has such quick acceleration.

Does anyone out there know what I can expect in the way of a fine. I have 0 points on my license by the way, and a very clean driving record.
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

I wouldn't care to guess at the fine but twice the legal limit won't be cheap. In some areas it means losing your license. I doubt that'll be the case here but expect a big fine and points.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Every jurisdiction sets their own fines, but speeding 30 mph over the posted speed is a mandatory court appearance now. I would guess the fine would be in the $300.00-$400.00 range unless you were in a school or construction zone. If that's the case, the fines are doubled.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Hmm, I'm ordering my Valentine 1 right now.............
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
coolassbrad

Name :
coolassbrad is on a distinguished road

wow thats gonna hurt,consider a second job.Florida is killing everyone with fines.30 over on a sport bike is a trip to jail and impound of bike.now they are trying to pass a law that lets the state can take your motorcycle license for 10 years if you pull a wheelie stoppie or any other stunt.
coolassbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolassbrad View Post
wow thats gonna hurt,consider a second job.Florida is killing everyone with fines.30 over on a sport bike is a trip to jail and impound of bike.now they are trying to pass a law that lets the state can take your motorcycle license for 10 years if you pull a wheelie stoppie or any other stunt.
Yep

Unfortunately under the guise fo "public Safety" the local jurisdictions are making up the deficits caused by the legislative decrease.

I'm all for public safety (go figure huh?) and traffic enforcement (again.DUH!) but someone, somewhere HAS to put a stop to the rediculous fines enhancements we're seeing

Penalties for wheelies, put it up on the front wheel stopping and such I have no problem with. But speeding fines outside a school or construction zone? we need to get a grip on the legislature!

I can even support enhanced fines/penalties for X over the limit in heavy residental areas, but again, there has to be a limit.

Sorry about your luck bro....I guess if we want to play, we have to pay

Get an attorney, request driving school and a with hold of points and adjudication.

1st offense, and with a local attorney, you'll probably get it
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, wait until traffic violations become felonies and you lose your right to own firearms because of a speeding ticket or failure to stop at a stop sign. Think it can't happen? It can happen if you tresspass on a construction site. It can also happen if you take a fire extinguisher from a motel. Felonies are no longer reserved for the SERIOUS crimes they used to be reserved for. And becoming a felon, regardless of WHY takes away your right to own or even touch a firearm.

I've attached a PDF file of all arrestable offenses in the state of Florida (which obviously do not include federal crimes.

The chart is interpreted with the following field entries:

Each listing in the statute table contains:
  1. The Florida Statute Number.
  2. The Florida Statute Subsection (if any).
  3. The appropriate four digit AON/FCIC
    uniform offense numeric code.
  4. The Level (Misdemeanor/Felony)
    of the offense.
  5. The Degree ([b]F</b>irst/Second/Third/Capital/Life) of the offense.
  6. A Juvenile indicator code. J -- A juvenile who is charged with one of these offenses must be fingerprinted and the fingerprints sent to FDLE. These offenses include all felonies and a
    number of misdemeanors specified by the Florida Statutes. N -- This
    identifies those misdemeanors for which
    a juvenile may be fingerprinted. These fingerprints may
    be forwarded to FDLE and become part of the
    Computerized Criminal History database.
  7. The AON/FCIC standard charge description.
  8. An expanded description of the
    statute offense.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fl_arrest.pdf (403.8 KB, 936 views)
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #8
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default Sh...t happens Ben, and w/ a vette you bet the law

Lawmen aren't real passive about us owner's.
Take Shadow's advise.get yourself a REALLY good attorney. This ain't nothing to take lightly.
A good attorney, one local with that court district is your best bet. At least he'll be able to save your driving licence. As most all have said, 1 st timer you'll not get the book thrown at you. Most all court's are seeing street tuner kid's before the judge.
Age, the length of time you've owned a hi performance car, and especially WHY you used poor judgement are the consideration's. But, DO NOT plead guilty....and Do have an attorney w/ you.
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

You don't need an attorney with you. Just plead no contest (not guilty and not innocent just not contesting the ticket) ask for leniency and ask to have "adjudication withheld" with drivers school. If it's your first offense they won't take your license and the extra expense of having a lawyer speak for you in an infraction hearing is a waste of money in my opinion. If you had a really bad record, or were hit with a reckless (criminal) charge then a lawyer would be a good idea.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

In todays courtroom environment and with the "enhancements" the state and counties have levied on tickets, I'd have to disagree.

You are totally correct in your advise however, that he doesn't "need" an attorney and could well do what you stated all by himself.

If the Trooper fails to appear (unlikely) or doesn't have an objection to the request, in many cases the courts will grant it.

That said, if the Trooper is one of these lets make it sound worse than it is types or God forbid, he gave him/her any reason to "remember him" (ie: some lip) then I'd make sure I had an attorney with me at court.

As mentioned before, with a local attorney, the odds of skating out of this unscathed as a first offense are greatly enhanced
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote