The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Tech and How-To Articles

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Tech and How-To Articles This is an RSS feed from Corvette Fever's website to bring in links to tech articles and How To writeups.

Unread 03-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road
Default **** MGW shifter Install******

Ok guys, here's the pics and install write-up as promised. Sorry for the long wait I had this posted up in another thread in Vette Tech/Perf, but it was on the 5th page, and people were skipping over and not seeing it, so here are the goods.

Here is everything you get with the kit minus the shift knob. The knob is an option and can be ordered at the same time. Notice how complete the kit is with its T-Handle allens and RTV Silicone. :thumbs:

The shifter body is very heavy duty. Construction is top notch!

This it the shifter shaft. It is interchangable, and MGW is going to be offering different thread sizes for using the stock knob as well as other aftermarket types. Again constuction is top notch. The cool thing about it's design is, to change it out to a different size shaft, removal of the console is not needed, simply remove the knob, pull the shifter boot up and remove the interchangable shaft:thumbs:

This is the shift knob that I elected to go with....I love it! F##Kin Fast!

Ok, I am picking up the install after the center console has been removed since I've had mine off for weeks waiting to install the shifter.
Here's a couple shots of the console and stock shifter removed from its body.

Here the MGW shifter body is installed with the 4 supplied mounting allen bolts and lock washers. Line the shifter housing with the sealant before installing the MGW shifter body down onto it.

Next, reinstall the stock rubber shift boot assembly and then the MGW suppled boot on top. I want to check with George about re-using the stock piece since his shifter comes with it's own boot, but I figured I'd install both for the added insulation and possible sound deadening.

Next re-install the yellow rubber insulation sheet over the shifter assembly. Then, install the shifter shaft onto the shifter body by sliding it onto the base and tightening down the 2 allen bolts. (Sorry the pic for this step didn't come out). Then slide the stock leather shifter boot over the entire assembly and thread the shifter knob onto the shaft. This knob has a set screw that is to be tightened when at your desired position.

You're pretty much done. Re-install the console and thats it. Real easy job. 1st Gear

Ok, now for my impressions of the shifter......All I can say is WOW!!!! This thing is absolutely awesome. It is by far the best shifter available for the C5 and C6 Corvette hands down!. The construction and durability of this thing is obsolutely outstanding. My issue with the other shifters I have tried is the poor construction and weak overall feeling of them. I am very hard on my shifters and the MGW feels like there is no way in hell you are ever going to pull on it too hard. It feels like a tree trunk sprouting from the console. The throws are short and precise. I can't see ever missing a 2-3 shift again. The centering action is perfect. The best part for us Vette owners is......NO SHIFTER RATTLE WHAT-SO-EVER!!!!!!!!
I can't urge you guys enough to get this shifter. It is the best on the market.....Sorry Callaway guys.
George, Thanks for a great product. You'd better get to work making a crap load more of these cause they are going to sell like hot cakes :thumbs:
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Qman

Name :
Qman is on a distinguished road
Default shifter

thanks for writeup im getting 1 soon.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Man, that DOES look like a nicely made shifter..... Price and source URL?
Unread 05-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Qman

Name :
Default shifter

www.mgwltd.com
try this link
Unread 05-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
www.mgwltd.com
try this link
Thanks!

Man, the more I look at this shifter, the better I like it. I checked the site and it appears that they have modified it a bit from the pics Robert shows for the install.

I like my current Six-Shooter shifter fine, but this one just LOOKS much more SOLID and robust. Darn, I can feel my credit card squirming in my pocket....
Attached Images

Unread 05-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Qman

Name :
Default shifter

as soon as i get some cash im getting 1 also.
Unread 05-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
Rich Z

Robert, so how about a followup with this shifter? How do you like it after living with it for a couple of months?
Unread 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
meatpony

Name :
meatpony has disabled reputation

hmmm maybe my next mod...any problems with it
meatpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
reaktionar

Name :
reaktionar is on a distinguished road

This was definitely an excellent choice, I also went with this shifter.
reaktionar is offline   Reply With Quote