The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > Movie Reviews

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Movie Reviews As requested! This forum might save us some $$ on movies that should have been left on the cutting room floor...

Unread 08-26-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default HD DVD or Blu-Ray players [off topic, kind of]

Been thinking about going to a high definition DVD player and figured I would throw this topic out for discussion here.

I am currently using an up-converting Panasonic DVD player to a 50 inch 1080i Panasonic plasma flat screen. Results are pretty good, but I'm thinking maybe the new high definition movies might be even better.

But it appears to be a war going on between the two competing formats (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) with no clear leader at the moment that I can tell. Seems to be about the same number of movies available from each, but apparently some movie producers are backing one format, and others backing the competition, EXCLUSIVELY. So this could be a real pain in the butt if a particular movie is in the format other than what you have a player for.

I've heard of dual format players, but apparently that is still in it's infancy. Generally I have found a jack of all trades is a master of none, as well, so I'm guessing such a player would not be exceptional in either one of those two formats.

So, anyone else out there following this situation as well and able to provide any input as to their own opinions or experiences?

Going back and replacing all my current SD DVDs with the new format is out. Just did that recently (not completely, yet) going from VHS tape to DVD, so trying to convince Connie that I need to do that will likely get me killed. So I would need to ease into this gradually.......
Unread 08-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

They played the same game with video tapes and VHS won, not saying it was best. Right now unless you can buy both I would wait a while longer.
Unread 08-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Just remember,some programs on tv come in High Def.nothing comes in the Blue ray.
High Def is a better picture on all tv's,Blue Ray is too new and only availble on dvd's.Also what ever you install use high quilty wire's,you get what you pay for.
I install these sytems in new homes I wire.From basic cable or Sat.to 20k home theathers.Shop around and just remember in a year from now the system you have will be old.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

The LG Super Blu is probably the best unit out there and will play both high def discs and Blu-Ray discs. Also Toshiba has a new unit out with almost all the bells and whistles at less than half the price of the LG unit. The Lg unit is the granddaddy of them all and use to retail for 1200.00+. Now they are around 1000.00. Go to www.BestBuy.com and look at their inventory under DVD players. You can also do a comparison within ther site of their dvd players or other electronics. Hope this helps. Mark
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Here is another slant on this, both of the new game platforms play HD disks. The PSIII plays Blue Ray while the XBOX360 plays HDDVD. So now you can get a new game console and watch HD movies.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Rich Z

Yeah, I believe just waiting it out is in order. I really don't want to have to deal with two different formats, and deciding on one will prove to be frustrating when I find some titles not in the format I have selected.

Not sure about the dual format players. Supposed to be a new one coming out around the end of October, but we're talking about a grand or so for it. By then single format players are going to be hitting around $200 as it gets closer to the Christmas buying season.

Kind of wish now I had waiting to get a 1080p screen rather than the 1080i....
Unread 08-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Looks like HD- DVD will win out. I have thousands in high end video gear, and i am also waiting out the hi def DVD war.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Yeah, I believe just waiting it out is in order. I really don't want to have to deal with two different formats, and deciding on one will prove to be frustrating when I find some titles not in the format I have selected.

Not sure about the dual format players. Supposed to be a new one coming out around the end of October, but we're talking about a grand or so for it. By then single format players are going to be hitting around $200 as it gets closer to the Christmas buying season.

Kind of wish now I had waiting to get a 1080p screen rather than the 1080i....
My Sony has either (i)interlaced or (p)progressive . You might want to check the "menu" option on your set to see if yours is selectable also.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Rich Z

My Panasonic screen was bought before 1080p was available. I've been all through the menus and don't remember seeing such a selection. And I seriously doubt I would be so lucky............
Unread 09-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Rich Z

Still thinking hard about this. Without a doubt, whichever format I pick will be the one which becomes obsolete overnight. Never fails....