The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I notice that GM got rid of those air dam spoilers underneath the front end on this new model. Good riddance to them!
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Flacorvette

Name :
Flacorvette has disabled reputation
Default Do not like it at all

Looks like a cormero hack job.
Glad I got the 427 60th instead.
Flacorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Their marketing plan is to try and reach the younger generations. They are no longer happy with just "our" money, they want our kids money, and their kids money too. Thus the design that is before you. And Rich, they don't want you to change the spark plugs. They want you to bring it to the dealer so they can change them for you and get MORE money. I have noticed, having worked with high school aged kids and young adults, that there are just not many "car guys" out there anymore. No replacements for us old guys. When you go to the cruise-ins on saturday afternoon you see mostly older guys. Maybe a few in there late twentys, but mostly over 50. Sad but true. When I was a teenager I was living the dream! My first car was a 1973 Roadrunner 440! I have actually forgotten how many cars I have owned in my life and I'm only 56. Times have changed.
But this car is still a Vette. May look a little strange to you right now but we'll get used to it. We always have!
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
Hameister

Name :
Hameister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
.....Rich, they don't want you to change the spark plugs. They want you to bring it to the dealer so they can change them for you....there are just not many "car guys" out there anymore. No replacements for us old guys....Times have changed....
I couldn't agree more. When I was in my teens and early 20s, every guy I knew was into cars. At 17 my first car was an old '51 Plymouth Belvedere flat head six, then a 57 Olds J2, then a '61 Impala 283, and finally a 1970 GTX 440+6. After those cars I became civilized, with family, and children, work, etc.

Everyone rebuilt their own carbs, changed manifolds themselves, installed Hurst shifters, did their own maintenance, etc. Within my circle of friends, owning a Corvette was an unattainable dream. Today the average young guy is more interested in texting on his cell phone, and checking his Facebook page every 6 minutes.

There was never a time in my life, that I didn't see a 'vette, and think to myself,..."some day, some day". Finally, at age 69, I ordered, and am waiting to take delivery of my life long dream. Members of my family, and neighbors, think I'm going through some kind of mid-life crisis, but not my friends, they understand, and two of them, already own a Corvette.

I attended the "SuperCar Show" in West Palm Beach, just last Sunday, the 13th. I should not have been so surprised, when I found that literally every guy I met with a Corvette, or muscle car, and every member of the local Corvette club was in their late 50s to mid 70s. I guess it takes most of us a long time before owning a 'vette is both feasible, and affordable.

Things sure have changed over the years. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep my Corvette before age, or financial issues arise. However, even if I have to sell it 6 months from now, I'll have the photos, and the memories, and I'll be able to say, "I did it, I owned a Corvette".

I won't say I'm old, but I will admit to waiting 53 years for my first Corvette!
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #15
Ghost

Name :
Ghost is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I like it. The C5's taillights were oval, and the 1990 ZR-1 had squarish taillights.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
LEJ ZO6
LEJ ZO6

Name :
LEJ ZO6 has disabled reputation

After seeing all the concept photos/drawings leading up to introduction my expectations for the C7 were set pretty low.

All the tech info released with the introduction sounds pretty good. CF parts on the base car, aluminum frame on the base car, 6.2 L and 450 Hp on the base car, direct injection, high compression and variable valve timing, Michelin tires, all sound really good.

Cylinder de-activation, not so much.

Styling is still up for debate until I can see the various colors in the flesh.

I don't think I'll be trading in my ZO6 for one anytime soon.
LEJ ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Ghost

Name :
Ghost is on a distinguished road

Folks were probably annoyed with the first coupe Corvette, and I'm sure the world was ending when the general installed the first factory A/C!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister View Post

Everyone rebuilt their own carbs, changed manifolds themselves, installed Hurst shifters, did their own maintenance, etc.
I remember when the first "10 minute oil change" shops started opening, back around 1980 or so. I was living in Jacksonville, Florida at the time and had just gotten out of the Navy. Me and some friends were laughing about it, wondering who was goning to spend $12.99 to have someone change your oil for you when we could do it ourselves for 6 bucks! Now I pay nearly $100.00 to get the oil changed in my diesel truck....
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
Hameister

Name :
Hameister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
....Now I pay nearly $100.00 to get the oil changed in my diesel truck....

I don't even want to think about what it will cost for an oil change in the new GS I ordered. I think the dry sump system takes just under 12 quarts, and it requires Mobil One which is about $10.00 per quart, that's $120.00 if I bought it myself.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if my dealer charges about $13.00 per quart, which would be $156.00, + filter, + labor + disposal fees, + Corvette Tax, etc. I'm guessing an oil change will cost me about $200.00. Am I in the ball park?

I won't say I'm old, but I will admit to waiting 53 years for my first Corvette!
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

There are some elements of the new design that I like and some that I am not sure of just yet. As far as the rice burner comment, I don't see that in this design either. In fact, I think this design has a lot of styling ques similar to the Ferrari F12berlinetta, more Italian influence not Japanese. Or, maybe I just misunderstood the earlier comment.

The area that gives me the most pause is the design of the rear. It certainly did not jump off the page to me as a winner design. But, to be honest, when the C5 first came out I was not happy with the massive rear end design and I remember a lot of people had voiced similar concerns. I guess over time it eventually grew on me because I now own two C5s. So, does that mean that this rear design will grow on me? Who knows, I will just have to wait and see.

There was another comment about the rear quarter windows. I am ok with that design element. Anything that might help reduce potential blind spots on Corvettes (we all can point to those in almost every design generation) makes sense to me as long as the design flows with the rest of the car. BTW, rear quarter windows are not new to Corvettes. The first generation Corvettes had lift off hardtops and these hardtops also had rear quarter windows.

So, I kinda like the front and side design but I am not sure about the rear on this car. I guess I am just going to have to hold judgement until I can see one in the flesh, how it will look in other colors, and most important to me, how it will look as a convertible. Not sure how long it will be before they come out with a convertible C7.

Just my opinion!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote