Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Welcome Room Member introductions

Unread 03-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
banter
Saving for it...

Name :
banter has disabled reputation
Default Hello everyone...

I guess I should start out by saying that I don't own a Corvette (yet). I fell in love with Corvettes ever since I found out what they were and the love hasn't faltered a bit since. I'm planning on getting a Corvette within the next year (or two depending on how the economy effects my job), but I've got my mind set on it so I'm going to do it. I've got a pretty good knowledge of cars in general. I've owned 3 cars so far in my short life (I'm only 22): a '91 eclipse (worst car ever), '99 camaro v6, and my current '07 cobalt.

The eclipse was $600 and I bought it off of my brother just so that I would have a car to get to my job. I told myself that my next car would be an f-body and 6 months later the eclipse died. I soon discovered that being 17 years old and wanting an f-body didn't go together very well. The v8 was out of the question as state farm wanted to charge me $475 a month for insurance. So I found a nice 5 speed '99 camaro v6 and that was my car knowledge learning tool. Today, I'm glad that I got a v6 then and not a v8 as I probably would be dead right now. Anyways, I modded the crap out of that camaro; everything from headers, 4.10 gears, and eventually a relatively large camshaft (all of which I installed myself with some friends). I was always ridiculed for modding a v6 camaro but I have no regrets. The car was pretty quick when it was all said in done, and I managed to get it in a forum's yearly calendar. I was young and stupid at the time (well, I'm still young just not as stupid) and street racing a bit and managed to beat a few LS1 camaros after the cam was installed. A few months later, I had quit racing altogether (legal or not) and got a job that had a 30 mile one way trip. Needless to say, a cammed v6 doesn't quite get the 32mpg on the highway like it did before the cam. So I ended up selling the camaro and buying a 2007 cobalt a little over 2 years ago. It's not a bad car, gets amazing gas mileage (I average 36mpg mixed), but it certainly has no power. I'm still very into cars and miss modding them like crazy.

Sorry for the long intro, but I figured I'd share a little of my car history. I'm signing up here because I am determined to get a Corvette as my next car. The way things look now (financially) I'll be looking for a c5 z06 or an ls2 C6, but I'm basically here to learn a bit more about Corvettes so that I won't be completely clueless by the time I do own one. Also, I'm hoping you guys will be able to give me some things to look out for when it does come time to buy one as well. I tend to ramble (like right now) and I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to car stuff, and I look forward to hanging around this forum.

-Corey
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

I have to stick with f-bodies because I have 2 kiddos, or I would have a vette too...lol quite a few of our customers are under 25, Its not uncommon to see.

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Hey Corey, Welcome to the forum! Enjoy all that goes with looking for your perfect ride. The more you look, the more you'll learn, and don't be afraid to pass one up that isn't EXACTLY what you want. Whenever you do pull the trigger, post some pictures........all of us are looking forward to seeing what you get.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. AntiVenom View Post
I have to stick with f-bodies because I have 2 kiddos, or I would have a vette too...lol quite a few of our customers are under 25, Its not uncommon to see.
Cmon now if I can fit the big brake kit and system in the back of my hatch, Im sure some kids will fit in the back as well haha.

Owning a Corvette is like smoking crack...youll always be needing that fix(mods). I dont think theres to many stock GM parts left on my car anymore.

Welcome to the forum, and way to go stealing my name
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Hey! That's my son's name (without the "e")

aboard.

I don't own a vette either any more. Will get one again someday but other priorities took precedent.

The thing you'll find here is although we're a vette forum, we really don't care what you drive.

I drool at the other vettes pictured here in expectation of my next one.

Enjoy the comaraderie, come on out and socalize and have a good time here

BTW, my last F-body was a 2000 Z28 convertible....nice rides

Again

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
banter
Saving for it...

Name :
banter has disabled reputation

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I'm glad you guys don't hate on people for not having the car that the forum is centered on. I'm also glad I didn't get pounced on for talking about my modded v6 camaro. So many people pull the "why mod a v6" thing and it's annoying... Anyway, with the way work is going, it's going to be a while before I get myself in my own corvette, though I have driven a couple in the past. I used to work at a performance shop and the owner has an 04 Z06 comm. edition. I got to drive it to a few shows that we had cars in and I love that car! I also drove an '05 w/z51 package back when GM held the "auto show in motion". Th z06 now has 150 shot of nitrous, but I haven't driven it since they installed it :-/.

I figured I'd get ahead of the game and join a few Corvette forums and hopefully meet some people who have Corvettes (because other than my the owner of that shop I know ZERO, and there are TONS in my area) that could help me in the future. Like they always say, it's not always what you know... but who you know. I also have a bit of experience modding cars even in the few 22 years of my life so I may be able to hand out a bit of advice myself.
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Don't sweat it Corey. We all love modding our vettes. In fact most of us (except me) are addicted!! . Anyway, to the gang and we'll help you out as much as possible.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Heck, I really didn't know anything about vettes when I bought my C5Z. I just knew I wanted one, so I bought it. Made some mistakes along the way, but nothing fatal. And things worked out pretty well anyway. Nothing on a vette that can't be fixed, so if you have to shoot a little low to get your foot in the door, so what? You can always fix what's wrong at your leisure, and even mod it up at the same time.

Oh yeah, I can't ever recall hearing anyone say that they regret buying a vette. Most, like me, will say they wish they had bought one much sooner in life.

Anyway, welcome to the club. You don't have to have a vette in order to love them.........
Unread 03-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #10
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

I also am an owner of a Z06 CE, and that car is awesome in bone stock configuration. If I was to give you any recommendation is to don't buy the very first Vette you see. Look around, there are some real bargains on the street right now do to the economy. I have seen some very nice C5Zs on the market for reasonable prices. Good luck in your search!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote