The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default I though you already had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hmm, I'm ordering my Valentine 1 right now.............

And NEVER leave home without it (on)!!!
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Got it on order. I guess it will show up on Thursday.

Hmm, can private parties buy their own radar gun?
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Well if ya get jail time i'll come visit.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default Radar Gun

Quote:
Got it on order. I guess it will show up on Thursday.

Hmm, can private parties buy their own radar gun?
I saw a "radar" gun at some toy store we were in before the holidays. It boasted real radar technology, accurate to within something like 0.5mph.

I wish I could remember where it was....I try to keep the holiday shopping as somewhat of a blur.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 01:44 AM   #15
Rich Z

I mean one using the same frequencies that the police use. But I guess that would be construed as being a radar jammer......
Unread 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I mean one using the same frequencies that the police use. But I guess that would be construed as being a radar jammer......
Not sure if I understand, but the radar units will not interfere with each other's operation. Each one is calibrated to it's own frequency.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Not sure if I understand, but the radar units will not interfere with each other's operation. Each one is calibrated to it's own frequency.
Interesting.... So a radar detector detects signals over a wide bandwidth and not just a specific frequency? I would have thought it would be a very narrow range....
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
I went for a little joy ride in the vette today but it didn't end so joyous. I just got a ticket for 92mph in a 45! I guess its such a large infraction just sending in your money isn't enough, I have to go to court. Please don't think I was just tooling down the highway that fast, ( I would never endanger my life or others driving that crazy) I had a left turn to make about a 1/4 mile up the road and simply put her in third and gave it some gas. The road ahead was clear so what the heck. Just as I was letting off the gas a trooper with radar on passed in the other direction, BUSTED! You got to love the timing. First time I've ever cursed the fact the a vette has such quick acceleration.

Does anyone out there know what I can expect in the way of a fine. I have 0 points on my license by the way, and a very clean driving record.
Dude, hire and attorney and forget all about it! Not worth the aggrevation you will put up with if you go at it alone.

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Hot BluZ

Name :
Hot BluZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Interesting.... So a radar detector detects signals over a wide bandwidth and not just a specific frequency? I would have thought it would be a very narrow range....
Here's what looks like a fairly comprehensive site on radars and radar detector operation. I didn't read through it all.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/radar-detector1.htm

The radars do operate on a fairly narrow bandwidth, but it doesn't take much of a shift to prevent interference. Detectors read these signals with varying degrees of sensitivity and only when the radar is turned on.

The ones that will really get you without any warning from your detector until it's too late are when the officer is stopped and pointing at specific vehicles. They turn the radar on so by the time your detector goes off, it's too late.

When the troopers are driving their radar is on all the time, so the detectors will work pretty well in these circumstances and probably would have saved the OP.

The laser/lidar units are a whole different animal, so if you're buying a detector, make sure it reads that too.

As far as court, I don't have much experience in Florida, just California. So as far as an attorney, if it was California I'd say don't spend the money because you're only facing an infraction, most traffic courts will accept the request to attend traffic school for a first offense infraction. It'll still cost you in court fees and for the school, but you won't have any points on your record.

Most attorneys are going to charge you several hundred dollars for their appearance time, and that's over and above any court costs. However, they may be able to make the appearance for you so you don't miss a day of work. So you have to way the pros and cons and you comfort with handling this issue.

If you go it along, you should try to talk to the DA or bailiff before the court starts to make your request to attend traffic school. They might have literature available at the court traffic office regarding this process. Try calling the court clerk's office before your court date to see if they have any information on this, or they can probably advise you on the process.

2004 Z06/Z16 #4 Born on July 26, 2004 - Sold Aug 07

1969 Coupe - White - Sold 1976
Hot BluZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
lefoy84
Exalted Member

Name :
lefoy84 is on a distinguished road

92 in a 45???? You give all Vette owners a bad name. Grow up and drive like a responsible adult!! You should lose your license.
lefoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote