The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 11-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Questions regarding exhaust.

Sorry, but I tried for the last couple of hours to post this in the Mods, Maint, Tips area , but it wouldn't let me (I kept getting timed out when I clicked on post new thread).?

I'd like to upgrade my exhaust system. I'm looking for better hp, fuel economy (or atleast not making it suffer), A WOW sound without the drone,
also would like to be able to hear the radio, and conversations at cruising speed.
I've read up on different systems, and found out that there's alot of "ours is the best" systems out there.
I've concluded that picking the brains of people who've already done these mods, and getting their feedback is the best way to go. I know everyone here may think their system is the Best, and that's ok, just provide me with the WHY'S please.
I'm a shade tree mechanic, so please don't hesitate to be explicit. YOU WONT BORE ME!!!
Cat back, X-pipe vs H-pipe, headers vs w/out headers??? Did I miss anything?
I know this is going to be a mouthful of explaining, but it'll be much appreciated.
ALSO:
Anyone have the K&N CAI? is it as good as they claim?

THANKS!!!

Ray
ynkedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Unread 11-10-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
legion21

Name :
legion21 has disabled reputation

I have a Magnaflow system on my 96. The exhaust note is agressive and had a slight drone at 1800 rpm but wasn't annoying, at wide open throttle it screamed. I then added Hooker LT 1 3/4 headers, the cats fell off, and installed a 3" x-pipe, and 3" all the way back and it got a little louder but to my surprise was still not obnoxious. Then when I did the head/cam swap it got really loud (It's hard to order fast food through a drive through because I cant hear the speaker). But I'm not complaining because I get at least 5 people a week walk up to me and make a comment about how good my car sounds (it doesn't hurt that it has a nasty lope to it from the cam!!!!) Hope this helps, but check out the Magnaflow systems.

Greg
legion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

A lot of what follows in based on my own research into this, but not experience, so take this fwiw.

The general consensus is that all systems other than the Z06 Ti and the Corsas will drone. How bad, and whether that's objectionable, is very much a matter of the individual combination and the owner's tastes/sensitivity. Drone is considered a much more serious problem on automatic cars because you can't "shift around it".

I went from stock to the Z06 Ti, partly because they get great reviews, and partly because they are amazingly cheap - $450 or so used mint. Considering that the discount new price from GM is almost $2k, that's a deal. They are a little louder than stock, and have a better tone, but you aren't going to notice the difference inside the car except when getting on it pretty hard - then there is a noticeable improvement.

I've come to the conclusion that I want louder. If those Harley guys can get away with it, so can I. I rarely listen to music in the car, as I much prefer to listen to the engine. I have a set of American Racing headers on order, with cats and also an off-road pipe. I'll probably try it with cats first and then the off-road pipe (assuming I can find someone who will install it). A fair number of folks have told me that they thought the Tis with headers was the best overall sound. We'll see.

I asked this question on Corvette Forum: "Just how much louder are headers?" Responses varied a lot (go figure), with some saying it made a big difference, and some saying not much at all.

There are some straight-through and near-straight-through catback systems. If you just want a considerable increase in volume but aren't going for a hotrod engine build, these are perhaps a better way to go than headers. Candidates include B&B Bullets, Corsa Stingers, the Stainless Works chambered sets, and the Borla XR-1 and straight pipe systems. However, if you do plan to go to headers later, reports are that these systems can be very loud with headers.

It's quite common for guys to go through several sets of catbacks looking for the right tone. Yes, that can get expensive. Thankfully, they are easy to sell used, and it's often the case that a guy with a quiet (not stock) set that wants to go louder can arrange a swap with a guy with a loud set who is tired of listening to it. It's also common that when you make a major change to your combination, like adding headers, a stroker, or a big cam, that it can change the sound enough that a catback change is in order.

There are various sites that have sound and video clips, but they are only so-so accurate. Two to try are ls1sounds.com and the video section at ls1tech.com. The manufacturers also often have sound clips.

Another thing to do is to attend Corvette shows and runs, where you can hear different sets in action. This can be a little time-consuming, but may be the best way to see what suits you without buyin' & tryin'.

Corsa will be at the upcoming UVP on the 18th. They often have pretty sweet deals at shows and may offer onsite installation (or may not - I haven't heard). Corsas do have the reputation of OEM quality and no drone - they are the only aftermarket exhaust that is sold and used by GM. Point is, they can be a good place to start as they are easy to sell later. They come in two sound flavors, Touring (about the same as stock), and Indy or Pace Car (louder). If you want a major step-up in volume, neither is likely to be enough.

Get out there and dig for videos. There aren't a ton of really good ones, but you can find some that are great and give a good feel for what an exhaust is like.

Good luck & have fun!
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

Unread 11-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THING!

I HAVE BILLY BOATS "BB"'S ON MY RIDE....THEY ARE NASTY....

BUT IF YOU ARE COMING TO THE "UCP".......ASK THE GUYS TO LITE THEM UP FOR YOU AND HEAR FOR YOURSELF.....CORSA WILL BE AT SHOW ALSO....IT'S ALL A MATTER OF TASTE!!!..........

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-02-2008 at 08:46 AM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Ray, you are more than welcome to go for a ride and hear my exhaust at the UCP on the 18th. I have LG LT headers with hi-flow cats and a Corsa Touring exhaust.

At cruising speeds, the Corsa's are supposed to be about 2db quieter than the stock Z06 Ti's. Even after I added the headers, it's still fairly quiet at cruising speed. When I get on it, you will definitely hear it. I get compliments on them all the time. They obviously sound different when you rev it compared to actually driving it.

Here is a link to my Putfile site that has 6 runs that I did at the Z06 Fest in July. It will give you an idea of what it sounds like. Of course there is nothing like the sound of being behind it, or in it. And videos don't really do it justice.
http://www.putfile.com/madn3ss/media

Sometimes I wish it was louder. Not SLP loudmouth loud, but maybe B&B Triflo's, GHL or the Borla Stingers. One of the reasons I went with Corsa was that I loved the Tiger Shark tips. I would love to have the Tiger Shark rear and front fascia. Have you seen it before?

So if you want to go for a ride at the show, let me know. We can always meet up a little earlier. Assuming we are going to meet at the McDonalds near the show. We'll have to start a thread to see how many people we can get. It would be cool to park together like other clubs do.

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Talking THESE ARE BB'S

THESE ARE BB'S...HUGH TIPS!!!!

http://www.bbexhaust.com/

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-02-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Unread 11-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default I want an exhaust system NOW!!!

I'm really anxious to see / hear the different exhaust systems while there. I'll be sure to try and find you, so that I can listen to yours.
Being that this is MY first show experience, I Just didn't want to be the "Pest", bothering others while they're trying to have THEIR fun at the UCP. Even though it is a place to Show Your Stuff.

Today I had a Cobra in the lane next to me (several cars back), but didn't know it until he got on it, and I mean to tell ya, It sounded awesome!!! I think I inked!

Ray
Unread 11-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Talking OTHER CONSIDERATIONS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
I'm really anxious to see / hear the different exhaust systems while there. I'll be sure to try and find you, so that I can listen to yours.
Being that this is MY first show experience, I Just didn't want to be the "Pest", bothering others while they're trying to have THEIR fun at the UCP. Even though it is a place to Show Your Stuff.

Today I had a Cobra in the lane next to me (several cars back), but didn't know it until he got on it, and I mean to tell ya, It sounded awesome!!! I think I inked!

Ray
WE FORGOT TO TELL YOU SOMETHING OR AT LEAST I DID ABOUT EXHAUST SYSTEMS.

NOT ALL WIVES LIKE LOUD AND "NASTY" EXHAUST SYSTEMS.

THE MANAGEMENT ("WIFE") REFUSES TO GO ANYWHERE MORE THAN 20 MILES WITH ME IN THE CAR.

SO IF YOU ARE MARRIED, YOU HAD BETTER GET MANAGEMENT APPROVAL PRIOR TO ANY MODIFICATIONS.

"YOU WERE WARNED"

MY BB'S WILL KEEP UP WITH ANY "COBRA" EXHAUST AS FAR A LOUD GOES!!

LOOK ME UP AT SHOW..WOULD BE PLEASED TO ASSIST YOU IN YOUR NEW HEARING AIDS!!!