The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 06-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough
Default Do you remember?

Does everyone remember their first ride in a Corvette? Of course you do! I'm sure everyone has a story. Here's mine.
In 1976 I was stationed in Naval Air Station Moffett Field, Ca. I was a new recruit and was lucky enough to get orders to a P-3C squadron (submarine hunters).Being a 19 year old kid from a small town in north Florida, I was quite overwhelmed with California, AND my new introduction to the U.S. Navy.
When I got to my permanant squadron I made many aquaintances and met new friends. One such friendship has lasted my whole life. Dan Fraley and I hit it off right from the start. We both had a common interest.Cars... fast cars. We were both airframe hydraulic mechanics (AMH) in the Navy, but that was just what we were classified as. One thing I learned about the Navy, You do pretty much everything that needs to be done, regardless of NEC (Navy enlistment code) or rank. It teaches you never to feel like you're truly above anyone. I've swabbed decks with an E-8 (senior chief petty officer) before.
Anyway, getting back to the story, Dan and I pretty much lived and breathed cars from the time I met him. He had a 1970 Chevy Nova at the time and I had a 1972 Rally Nova. When he got his it had a well worn 283 that someone before him had put in it, mine had a 30 over 350 with a street cam, quadrajet, Mallory dual point, and dual exhaust. Dan got a line on a 396 out of a wrecked 1970 Chevelle SS and promptly had it on an engine stand at the base garage. (I think we spent more time here than anywhere else on base.) I don't remember what all parts he installed on that 396, but let's just say I had never been in a car with that much power! His Nova still had the factory gearing from the original 250 inline six, probably 2.50's. Anyway, that car was scary. Another guy in our squadron had a Yamaha 1100 motorcycle that was hands down the fastest motorcycle in production that year. He was bragging about how fast that thing would run one day and Dan told him that he was pretty sure his Nova would outrun it on the top-end. That night, after we got off work, around 11:30 or so, we left the base and we're coming off the ramp going onto 101.... here comes the guy on the 1100! Dan drops it down to first (we were already going 45-50mph). The Yamaha's front wheel left the ground and here we go! We stayed with the motorcycle through the first three gears, but right after Dan shifted to fourth, the bike slowed abruptly. We saw the guy at work the next day and he told us that he got out of it at 150 mph, that was way too fast for him!
One of the Chief Petty Officers in admin had a 1963 split window coupe and he approached us about rebuilding the engine in it. Dan gave him a price that was acceptable and we started on it at the base garage. It still had the original 327 engine, but the factory fuel injection had been replaced with a Holley. It had wide fender flares and 50 series tires on the back. The flip-over headlights had the seams filled and four sealed beam headlights were mounted in a tube grill below. A true California custom if I've ever seen one, this one was tastefully done. The paint was recent, a metallic maroon that went well with the original black interior. It still had the Wonderbar radio. Back then we had NO idea how much these cars would one day be worth! We got the engine rebuilt and told the Chief we wanted to drive it for a week or so to seat the rings and make sure there were no leaks or anything, and he was OK with that. So there we are, tooling around San Jose, Palo Alto, and the Santa Cruz area, just havin a blast driving this awesome Vette! Talk about turning heads, wow! We went up to Santa Cruz on those mountains roads, I had never ridden in a car that was so awesome! From that moment on, I was hooked. One day I would have one of these! We gave the Vette back to it's owner and he was quite pleased.
At the time I had just bought a four wheel drive truck and on a salary of about $400.00 a month I was barely making it. A month later the Chief with the Vette asked us if we know anyone that might want to buy the vette. (he had a 59 that he drove all the time and a 68 that his wife drove) He was retiring and didn't want to ship the car home to Michagan. He told us that if one of us wanted it, he'd let it go for $4500.00.
I immediatly put for sale signs on my truck, but, no takers. I don't know what ever happened to that Vette. I often wonder if it is still in existance. Dan and I built several more cars in the next few years until I came back to Florida in 1980, but I'll always remember that Vette!
And then there was the 1970 Plymouth Superbird.....
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Wink 2Vettes

In 1957 I was a freshman at Ohio State and pledged to Phi Delta Theta. Two of my pledge brothers had '57's one a stick and the other a Powerglide. I had a 1951 4-door Mercury (lake pipes, smitty mufflers, pinstriped, etc.) with a backseat you could do anything in! Every weekend these two guys would fight over who would trade me cars for the weekend. Like all of us 18 year olds our hormones were raging and they wanted that back seat! I really didn't care as I had my pick of Vette's for the weekend! That fall quarter was one I will never forget! Thanks guys!!! I rode in a few more until 10 years later when I bought my first '67. Haven't been without one since.
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Name : Larry Broga
larrybroga is on a distinguished road

It was 1953 when my father, the ultimate motorhead and hot rodder, took me to a Chevrolet dealership in Akron, Ohio that a friend of his worked at. They let my father and me take a new Corvette for a drive and the rest is history. I bought my first one, a '62 Honduras Maroon / black interior / white top, 327/250 hp, 4 spd, in November of 1961 and have had them ever since (now on #13).

Growing old is inevitable !
Growing up is optional !!!!
larrybroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

September '06 was the First time I had Ever driven, let alone been in a Vette.
I shopped around looking for a C3, but when I finally found one I liked...I discovered that I was too big for it. I looked at C4's and again, too big. For some reason, I just stopped looking. Guess I gave Up . So, I bought a Mustang
Then one day shortly after buying the stang, I had to go to the Chevy dealership for some maitenance on another vehicle. It was then I had the chance to Sit in a '05 C6. I took it for a spin and Badda Bing...I'm still driving it.
Great stories!!!
Unread 06-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

In 1960 my oldest brother bought a '57 that was Arctic Blue with Silver coves. I was 8 at the time and when he took me for a ride I was hooked. Have been a Corvette person ever since. It took me until the late 80's to get my first one which is the '69 that I still own. But ever since that first ride I have always had a soft spot for an Arctic Blue and Silver 57.
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

My first ride was in 1981, my father bought a 69 427 vert, for a fixer upper.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation
Default My first time

The first time I fell in love with a corvette was when I lost my first drag race to one,It was a 71 bb 454 ls6,I was running my 70 nova with my 454,running 11: 05 without slicks,It beat me by half of a car lenth.Aftr the race I went to driver and asked what he had under the hood,He told my of the engine and the only mods. he had was long headers and a bigger cam.His engine was spotless and was a daily driver,as was my nova,We talk for a while about cars,racing and girls.That night I went out to the book store and bought every book they had on corvettes..I asked him if I could race him again and if I won,I could drive his Vette.I change to straight slicks and bet him by a fender.I knew my car was faster then his with the slicks.He didn't know I changed tires until after the race.When he found out,he just laughed and said that he didn't push his car that day due to a bad oil pump,and even If I would have lost he would of still let my drive the vette.After that day everytime I even seen a vette,I thought of how great of a sport that guy was and how friendly the vette owners were.I told myself if I was ever lucky enough to buy one , I would be like that guy who first introduced my to the greastest car ever made.Power,Speed,Beauty and the feeling of driving a street legal rocket ship. Ever since that day of the race I always ask myself,Could I ever beat his vette?But in the long run I did win.I got the Corvette bug.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Good post
My first ride came later in life. Back in 1991 my husband, Robert bought a '91 turquois coupe. We joined the local corvette club and went with them on a trip to Key West. Well, riding in the passenger seat all the way to Key West in a caravan of 23 other vettes was more than I could bear. We got back to Fort Myers Sunday evening and Monday I was at the Chevy dealership and came home with my '92 black coupe which I kept as a driver until I sold it for the '04 I now own. I'm hooked Robert has owned 4 vettes since then. Neither of us wants to be the passenger. We've taken vacations up north and driven both vettes for the fun of it. We use walkie talkies to communicate and have a great time! We have a mini caravan
Unread 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

My first ride came back in about 1982. I flew here to Florida from Mass to look for a mid-year. On the next to last day I found my 66. I was preparing to drive it back to Mass and I stopped in for an oil change at a Firestone dealer in prep for the trip. I grabbed hold of the left rear tire and it was loose at the wheel bearing, so was the right side. I figured what the hell and started off on my trip home. Now this thing had side exhaust and was very loud. The latches that secure the panel for the convertable top were missing so once I got up to 60 mph the wind blowing in the car was lifting the hardtop and the body panel up about three inches. The upper weatherstrips were missing and there was no way to stop the wind from blowing in. Eventually I opened the vent windows and that helped a little. It started to rain and naturally the front weatherstrip on the top leaked, naturally right in my line of view and dripped directly on my leg and crotch, nuff said. In N. Carolina I stopped for gas and the alternator seized, I had to cut the belt as the motor wouldn't crank over, found a parts store and replaced the alternator and belt. Fast foward to the next nite around dusk, just got into Connecticut, I turned on the lights and the dimmer switch on the floor sparked and the lights went out. I just happen to be in front of a Chevy dealer and went inside just as parts was closing. The parts manager hooked me up with a dimmer switch for something and a couple of electrical connectors and I was on my way. Four hours later I pulled in my driveway, then into my garage and went to bed. That was my first ride in a Corvette. The side exhaust were so loud my ears were ringing for two days.

Just a footnote, I sold my 66 back in February and I miss it every day. Second biggest mistake of my life selling it.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
sglfladad

Name :
sglfladad is on a distinguished road

Of Course I remember my first ride..I actually got to drive one the first time!

A buddy of mine bought a 90 coupe. One night he had a party at his house. Before we got too ...ummm... inebriated, he offered to let me drive it. WOW!.. Yes, I know..only 245 bhp and such...but WOW oh WOW! I was in love...and I was 40 years old. Long time to wait for a ride/drive in a vette, but worth it. Luckily not married...the affair would have started.

Fast forward two years...no other ride or drive in a vette. Buddy fell upon hard times. I bought it! Woohoo!

Fast forward to more years. Sold it ( to a neighbor ..his first vette) and bought an 01 ZO6.. YAHOO! Zoom Zoom!
sglfladad is offline   Reply With Quote