The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 12-18-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road
Default Long freakin story

We weren’t planning this one, we need to get another car by March, We don’t want to spend more than 30, I would rather spend it on a fun car instead of a have to have car but this is for my wife and she is more of a practical sedan type. I started to look on the Internet for a used CTS-V

There just aren’t any . New ones are way over what we want to spend. I’m afraid we will get another Toyota. My wife bought an 05 Camry (it’s in Florida since we didn’t think we needed it up here ) and loves it. I think it a great car too but it’s a Toyota, not the most exciting thing on 4 wheels.

I don’t like any European cars (cost too much to maintain).

Our current stable:

01 Buick Century (teenage daughter’s car )
04 Lexus RX330 (my work car…boooooring…never again )
05 Camry (in Florida, real nice car but it’s still a Camry )
03 Corvette AE Vert (thank God for this one or I’d be a lump of clay )

Also an 01 Saab wife’s company car (not being replaced, hence we need to buy our own) This Saab is a POS, I would never spend my own money on one.

So, long story…any ideas???
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default No Brainer!

TX MOMMA was recently in the market for another car also. We looked at Nissan, Toyota, Mustangs, Bmw's, Volvo's etc...
We talked, or at least I did and she listened, About another Vette. We checked some out, she test drove a C5 and Badda Bing!
Now, we're having a GREAT time going places together in separate Vettes!
Only problem is, she gets all of the compliments!
Just the other day, my wife and daughter were in Orlando when a Porche pulls up to them, and shot a picture of the vette and them. Now if I were a jealous man, and I am, I think i'd have to the guy in the Porche!

Anyway, a 2nd Vette is an awesome thing!!!IMO.

Good Luck!

~Ray
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Oh, I forgot to post a pic...

Unread 12-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal
We weren’t planning this one, we need to get another car by March, We don’t want to spend more than 30, I would rather spend it on a fun car instead of a have to have car but this is for my wife and she is more of a practical sedan type. I started to look on the Internet for a used CTS-V

There just aren’t any . New ones are way over what we want to spend. I’m afraid we will get another Toyota. My wife bought an 05 Camry (it’s in Florida since we didn’t think we needed it up here ) and loves it. I think it a great car too but it’s a Toyota, not the most exciting thing on 4 wheels.

I don’t like any European cars (cost too much to maintain).

Our current stable:

01 Buick Century (teenage daughter’s car )
04 Lexus RX330 (my work car…boooooring…never again )
05 Camry (in Florida, real nice car but it’s still a Camry )
03 Corvette AE Vert (thank God for this one or I’d be a lump of clay )

Also an 01 Saab wife’s company car (not being replaced, hence we need to buy our own) This Saab is a POS, I would never spend my own money on one.

So, long story…any ideas???
A cool sedan with a lot of motor. The Cadillac DTS and Deville Touring Sedans are surprisingly good cars. Drive one before you write them off. It's not your daddy's Caddyac.

Trans Ams are surprsingly practical. For that matter, so are C5 coupes

Mercury Marauder. Thin on the ground, but very cool.

Let's face it, if you don't like foreign (me too), then there aren't that many choices out of Detroit. "Performance"-model full-size Ford/Mercury, or Cadillac. The Chrysler 300/Charger/Magnum cars are also a possibility, but they're slugs unless you get the STS-8 and those are $$$. Or move to a "practical" sporty car like a Mustang, F-body, or C5 coupe. That's pretty much it from Detroit.

Or spend $30 large for boredom.

Me, I either spend the bucks on something fast and cool, or I drive something really cheap. A used $30k sedan isn't any more reliable or long-lasting (imo) than a properly-chosen $5k one.

Maybe a Suburban? Great for hauling parts or towing a race car.

Have the Camry shipped? Less than the taxes on a $30k car.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

For a practical car thats still fun, we bought a 2001 Volvo S80 for the wife.

Very reliable, plenty of room, a trunk large enough you can store a body...uh, never mind on that last part...and not a bad looking car either. All the bells and whistles and a sunroof too

Real good gas mileage and if you want to spice things up a little, get the turbo edition

We have the NA version and got it at 21k before trade in, discounts, etc.

You should be able to get into a turbo version for slightly higher.

I love the car and after bouncing around in the 87 Vette, the Landcruiser and the Z28, so does my back!!!!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Coastal

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
For a practical car thats still fun, we bought a 2001 Volvo S80 for the wife.

Very reliable, plenty of room, a trunk large enough you can store a body...uh, never mind on that last part...and not a bad looking car either. All the bells and whistles and a sunroof too

Real good gas mileage and if you want to spice things up a little, get the turbo edition

We have the NA version and got it at 21k before trade in, discounts, etc.

You should be able to get into a turbo version for slightly higher.

I love the car and after bouncing around in the 87 Vette, the Landcruiser and the Z28, so does my back!!!!
We bought a 2001 S80 T6 new. We loved the ride and finish of that car, the size was just right.

Problem was it was the biggest POS we had since our Audi. That car would stop without warning in the middle of the street and we'd have to get it towed away. Can't remember what that problem was but it cost us dearly to fix it...several times. Every time we brought it in for service it was a minimum $1000 bill. The last time we brought it in for service, the rack went. Long story but the bill for that was going to be about $3000. We had had enough and took it from the dealer and dropped it off at a local repair shop that put in a used one without a guarantee. Took this beautiful 4 year old car without a scratch on it with about 36k miles on it to Carmax and gave it to them for $11,000. We were not happy to walk away from such a nice car but mechanically it was a pig and we couldn't keep pouring money down it. After doing some internet research, I found that we were not alone with the problems we were having.

We bought the 05 Camry after that and the quality so much better. It is not as nice as the S80 but at least we're not paying $3000 a year in repair bills either.

This is why I don't want another European cars. They look and feel great but I can't afford to repair them.

I really hope you have much better luck than we did, it really is a nice car.
Unread 12-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...e=search&fgtp=

I see several in the $30.000+/- range ............Tom
Unread 12-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
We bought a 2001 S80 T6 new. We loved the ride and finish of that car, the size was just right.

Problem was it was the biggest POS we had since our Audi. That car would stop without warning in the middle of the street and we'd have to get it towed away. Can't remember what that problem was but it cost us dearly to fix it...several times. Every time we brought it in for service it was a minimum $1000 bill. The last time we brought it in for service, the rack went. Long story but the bill for that was going to be about $3000. We had had enough and took it from the dealer and dropped it off at a local repair shop that put in a used one without a guarantee. Took this beautiful 4 year old car without a scratch on it with about 36k miles on it to Carmax and gave it to them for $11,000. We were not happy to walk away from such a nice car but mechanically it was a pig and we couldn't keep pouring money down it. After doing some internet research, I found that we were not alone with the problems we were having.

We bought the 05 Camry after that and the quality so much better. It is not as nice as the S80 but at least we're not paying $3000 a year in repair bills either.

This is why I don't want another European cars. They look and feel great but I can't afford to repair them.

I really hope you have much better luck than we did, it really is a nice car.
Sorry you had such bad luck

We have 2 Volvos, a 98 S70 and the 2001 S80. Both are great cars! I have the extended warranty on the 01 and the few little problems we've had have been taken care of without a lot of $$ outlay.

We recently had an issue with the steering column lock. The piece that locks it into place is made of plastic and routinely breaks (usually gets hit by peoples knees getting in and out). They didn't want to repair it under warranty because they considered it a "cosmetic" item???

My wife (she can be a ball buster sometimes ) called the GM at Volvo and after she got through with them (I walked her through the operations safety related issues), hey fixed it for no charge!

Never, and I mean NEVER...f**k with my 'ole lady!!!

Other than that, fortunately we haven't had any real issues with it

The 98 seems pretty tight too but time will tell...
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Coastal

Name :

Thanks exile, I never thought of ebay. I don't buy over ebay because of all the scams but if it's a dealership or I can go see the car I will.

I especially like this one although I would have to convince my wife to take my RX and I'll drive this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks shadow, I can't tell you how much we liked our T6. I'm glad yours is doing well. We just got the one of the ones that was built Jan 2nd. first shift
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
...Thanks shadow, I can't tell you how much we liked our T6. I'm glad yours is doing well. We just got the one of the ones that was built Jan 2nd. first shift