The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #2051
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Rich, you definitely need to post a few "how to" threads. This experience with your car could be gold for DIY,s everywhere.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2052
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
With the thin oils, after a test drive my oil pressure would be hovering around 22 to 24 psi when idling in front of the garage door. This is OK, according to the experts, but I want to see what this thicker oil will do for the pressure.
Just a note that with this Joe Gibbs 15w-50 oil in the crankcase now, with the oil hot after a test drive, the oil pressure at idle is now sitting at 35 to 36 psi. So the heavier weight oil seems to have made a substantial difference in pressure. There is no discernible difference in anything else that I can determine.
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #2053
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

Were do you get that oil. My 122K 93 only has 15# idle and 30 hot at road speed. It might be interesting the next oil change to see if it would improve my old engine oil pressure.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #2054
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteJohn View Post
Were do you get that oil. My 122K 93 only has 15# idle and 30 hot at road speed. It might be interesting the next oil change to see if it would improve my old engine oil pressure.
I found a case on Ebay from a seller called "bryansracingent". The 12 quart case was $120, so it's a bit pricey. That was back in August, so perhaps the price has changed by now.
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #2055
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Go to the Joe Gibbs site before you switch. here is an excerpt that pertains to the LS engines:

As street applications featuring the LS engine are not typically warmed up before driving, the heavy weight oil (such as 20W-50) is slower in flowing to the hydraulic roller lifters. The result is a lack of adequate lubrication. The LS platform pump and oiling system is designed for 5W-30 viscosity grade oil, so using heavier weight oil actually reduces lubrication and often leads to rapid valve train failure.

I was trying to find a technical bulletin that warned about the effect 40 and 50 weight oil had on the rings of GM engines when I found this site.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/g...lic-roller-cam

copy and paste the above link
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #2056
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Go to the Joe Gibbs site before you switch. Here is an excerpt that pertains to the LS engines:

As street applications featuring the LS engine are not typically warmed up before driving, the heavy weight oil (such as 20W-50) is slower in flowing to the hydraulic roller lifters. The result is a lack of adequate lubrication. The LS platform pump and oiling system is designed for 5W-30 viscosity grade oil, so using heavier weight oil actually reduces lubrication and often leads to rapid valve train failure.

I was trying to find a technical bulletin that warned about the effect 40 and 50 weight oil had on the rings of GM engines when I found this site.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/g...lic-roller-cam

I can't get the link to go through but if you copy and paste the above link it works.
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #2057
Rich Z

Perhaps this link will work -> http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/g...-tech-bulletin

Bear in mind that my engine is not a stock engine. It was custom built from the ground up using a RHS block and all aftermarket internal components, including the oil pump. The Joe Gibbs 15W-50 oil I am now using was recommended by the engine builder (LME), and based on the fact that several people commented with concerns over the 5W-30 oil producing relatively low oil pressures at run time. So be careful of comparing apples to oranges in comparing what I am doing to what you might want to do. Your mileage may vary as to what might work best for you.

If there is a problem with the lifters pumping up, I believe it would be rather obvious at startup, so certainly it would be something to keep in mind. I also believe that the issue with heavier weight oils would be much more of a problem in the colder areas of the country than would be the case in Florida, since starting the engine on a very cold morning up north could be a real problem with thicker oil being much more a problem at cold temps. In my case, it is extremely doubtful that the oil temps will ever be below 50 degrees when I start the car. If the morning temps are colder than that, then quite likely I will just stay in bed till it warms up anyway.....
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #2058
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

All good points and yes I agree the heavy weight oil in the winter with 0 and below temp at start up would not flow fast enough. I think I will look into putting an oil cooler on the car and then top off the oil with something like Lucas Synthetic booster. Thanks for all the good information and research it is much appreciated.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #2059
craig04c5

Name :
craig04c5 has disabled reputation

Oh, and I've got to find someone to put that Tigershark front bumper fascia on for me and paint it. I'm pretty pleased with the work I did on the paint job, and can live with the flaws remaining for a while. And I may actually be able to fix many of them myself as well. Just because I've never done something before doesn't mean that I CAN'T do it.[/quote]

Which Tigershark manufacturer did you go with Rich, Starcraft?
craig04c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #2060
craig04c5

Name :
craig04c5 has disabled reputation

Oh, and I've got to find someone to put that Tigershark front bumper fascia on for me and paint it. I'm pretty pleased with the work I did on the paint job, and can live with the flaws remaining for a while. And I may actually be able to fix many of them myself as well. Just because I've never done something before doesn't mean that I CAN'T do it.[/quote]

Which Tigershark manufacturer did you go with Rich, Starcraft? Will you post on the install?
craig04c5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports