The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > The Police Blotter

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Police Blotter This forum is for the purpose of alerting our readers of thefts and robberies. The idea is that WE can all keep our eyes peeled for the stuff and maybe catch those creeps.

Unread 09-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
It's getting that way everywhere We've watered down and hamstrung law enforcement (some out of necessity) to the point where you're purely reactive vs. pro-active

A lot of it too has to do with tactics. We're just not stressing the points we once did

I have a close friend who has been providing me info on the recent shootings in S. Fla. He's close with the "powers that be" and the tactical units. Unfortunately, several of these incidents could have been prevented or at least minimized by the implementation of better tactics

If you have a chance to look at the FBI Uniform Crime Report kept since about 86 (or so) you'll find that the largest number of officers killed as ALWAYS been in the south.
Unread 09-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142
If you have a chance to look at the FBI Uniform Crime Report kept since about 86 (or so) you'll find that the largest number of officers killed as ALWAYS been in the south.

Absolutely correct my friend

Certainly not a good thing is it
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Heck, law enforcement has to be so afraid of litigation with every move they make, it's a darn wonder that laws get enforced at all. Every move is scrutinized to such an extent that an officer has to be basically psychic to KNOW what is the best move to make when everything happening NOW with split second decisions will be scrutinized after the fact in slow motion with 20-20 hindsight. In a stress filled incident where your life may be on the line, you are expected to be omniscient and absolutely 100 percent correct with every decision made under those circumstances. Or you get sued, lose your job, or even your own dignity from being humiliated because you made a decision that some attorney somewhere might think you should have made differently with the benefit of hindsight and an objective view.

I sure as hell wouldn't want that kind of a job. And probably more and more people think the same way, making it harder and harder to get good quality people willing to take it on.
Unread 09-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Heck, law enforcement has to be so afraid of litigation with every move they make, it's a darn wonder that laws get enforced at all. Every move is scrutinized to such an extent that an officer has to be basically psychic to KNOW what is the best move to make when everything happening NOW with split second decisions will be scrutinized after the fact in slow motion with 20-20 hindsight. In a stress filled incident where your life may be on the line, you are expected to be omniscient and absolutely 100 percent correct with every decision made under those circumstances. Or you get sued, lose your job, or even your own dignity from being humiliated because you made a decision that some attorney somewhere might think you should have made differently with the benefit of hindsight and an objective view.

I sure as hell wouldn't want that kind of a job. And probably more and more people think the same way, making it harder and harder to get good quality people willing to take it on.
You'd thinkg so regarding your last paragraph, but the line forms at the door.... People (young un's and former military types) are standing in line, putting themselves through acadamies, and such, waiting fot the "opportunity" to serve and protect

TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING!!!....

I can't stress it enough!!!
It'll save your azz every time

you do something repetitively enough, hear something reptitively enough, say something repetitively enought, and it becomes second nature. You respond automatically with little thought, which is necessary in a critical incident on the street. A SWAT team has time to think, plan, support thier movements and actions. A patrol or street officer (narc, etc), doesn't It's all right here, right now! Deal with it!

Your training, along with a modicum of common sense (which is what gets most cops-you can't train that) will get you through most matters relatively unscathed.

Fact is, if you don't act malisciously (as with the officer in the cops gone wild Youtube event) then you're pretty well in good shape. Sure, you'll go through an IA or SAO invest, and maybe an FBI review. If you did what you're supposed to do, regardless of the 2nd guessing, you'll be ok

Hind sight is 20/20 ad we can monday morning quarterback all day long.

An example of what NOT to do is what I understand happened in Miami (actually Broward) the other day "IF" what I understand is correct (froim the departments own information), then they did something I can't support, regardless of the circumstances

I'm still hoping there's more to it than what I've gotten so far.

Beign a cop, even today, is not that difficult. It's as you mention, the administration, the politics that will drive you nuts!!!!
Unread 09-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
jcb_njb

Name : Jim Brackett
jcb_njb is on a distinguished road
Default Cruise-In for Fallen Officer

The Speed Style and Performance (SSP) Car Club of Florida is looking to put together a benefit cruise-in for Officer Jose Somohano. Officer Somohano fell in the line of duty on Thursday, September 13th. Below are the links to the thread on the Corvette Forum and SSP forum.

http://www.speedstyleandperformance....opic.php?t=551

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561946310

Date has yet to be determined.
jcb_njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb_njb
The Speed Style and Performance (SSP) Car Club of Florida is looking to put together a benefit cruise-in for Officer Jose Somohano. Officer Somohano fell in the line of duty on Thursday, September 13th. Below are the links to the thread on the Corvette Forum and SSP forum.

I like the idea Very kind of you to think of the officer and his family and great that your club appearsa to support it

If I'm not working or out of town, I'll do my darndest to be there.

What date?
Unread 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #17
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb_njb

JCB_NJB : You may want to post this under a separate post for more exposure...Will mention at our club meeting tomorrow...Maybe some interest can be generated in the West Coast and a caravan can go over for this important event...
als2052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052
JCB_NJB : You may want to post this under a separate post for more exposure...Will mention at our club meeting tomorrow...Maybe some interest can be generated in the West Coast and a caravan can go over for this important event...
Taken care of