The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 01-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation
Default Cruise destinations

As a "new" (6 months) Corvette owner and a part-time (emphasis on the PART) Florida visitor, I'd like some opinions on places that my wife and I can cruise to within a couple hours of Clearwater. I get to Florida about once every 6-8 weeks for a 5 or 6 day long weekend, and would like to know about some of the destinations that you get to on your cruises. Good restaurants to visit????? We were told about Anna Maria Island, and have gone there twice to eat at the City Pier Restaurant. Nice ride, nice destination! I would like to know a few more like that one. Thanks for any suggestions that you would care to provide.
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

5 Bridges Run and end at Landry's for great grub.
Make the Saturday Night Cruise: Andreh's, Setzer's, Quaker Steak, Biff Burger.
Thursday night cruise in Brooksville.
Caspersen Beach down at Venice for shark's teeth. Amazing beach, best in Florida imo.
Back roads in south Hillsborough/east Manatee counties, swing by Snook River Grill in Bradenton on the way home.
For a freeway burn South, head to Everglades City and take the boat ride.
For a freeway burn North, up the Veteran's Xway all the way to the end, then swing west to Homosassa Springs. Say Hi to the manatees. The Veteran's may be a toll road, but it's very pretty, especially at the northern end.
Head up the Veteran's again to the end and meander around the back roads up there, gorgeous. Head northeast to the Garlits Museum in Ocala.
Head up the Veteran's yet again (do you get the idea I like the Veteran's?) and then continue up 19 to Cedar Key. A fascinating place. Go drive on the airport! And see the museum there, very cool. This one makes for a long day.
Do a coast-to-coast run. Drop down the Skyway, East across 64/66/98/70, dip your toes in the Atlantic, come back on 70, go to Fort Desoto or Pass-a-Grille and do the same. "Coast to coast" in a day!
Go up around Ocala Nat'l Forest and run around. Go find Howey-in-the-Hills.

That's just for starters. We like to drive. If you want to go on a Sunday and want some company, give us a shout!

Big group going to Garlits' this Sunday. You coming?
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
krash721

Name :
krash721 has disabled reputation
Default cruise idea

Lake Louisa State Park...semi-hilly terrain, an actual occasional curve, great picnic area on a lake, and nice cabins U can rent overlooking another lake. Been going there for years. Shows U the Florida of old.
krash721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Navy2k,

Since you and I are in similar situations, I also have been searching out places to cruise as well and here is what I would recommend. There are a great bunch of people on this site that will go out of their way to welcome you to the Florida family and will cruise with you and introduce you to some great areas. Hook up with some of them and they will be able to show you some sites in your area of Florida.

Down in the Ft. Myers area I have had some great experiences with the help of members of this board, specifically 2Vettes, Electra, and als2052. They have bent over backwards to welcome me and help me become acquainted with the SW side.

But you asked for some recommendations within 2 hours from Clearwater and here is one that I stumbled on during my last trip down over the holidays. I would like to recommend that you drive down to Punta Gorda. There is a place called "Fisherman's Village" and it is right on the harbor. In essence it is a large covered pier with some neat shops that will probably please the wife and at the end of the pier there is a restaurant called Harpoon Harry's (I think) It is an open air restaurant with a great view of the harbor. I would think you can do Fisherman's Village in 2 hours from Clearwater.

Good luck with your excursions!

Rich
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Fisherman's Wharf

Rich427 is right on! Our club caravans down there at least twice a year. The gals love it and that restaurant is right on the river. Great food and a better view! This year some of us will be going to Corvettes of Charlotte County's Vette & Chevy Show. It's being held in Gilchrist Park which is not very far from the Wharf. The show is Feb. 25th and is from 10 - 3. We will probably leave the show and head on over to the Wharf for an early dinner/late lunch? See ya there?
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Gannet, I'd love to go to Garlits' this sunday, but un-fortunately I'm back in Boston. Thank God the car ain't here! It's so d*#% cold here that I think the car would just crack apart. B-back down there in March, and can't wait.
Gonna try some of the cruises mentioned above (and by the way.......Thanks to all who chimed in!!) and have a little "fun-in-the-sun".
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

What they said

the Lee County coast (Ft. Myers/Sanibel/Captiva/Estero) all are great destinations and have fantastic scenery, heritage/history and great places to eat. Go to the bubble Room on Captiva or the Green Flash. the Castaways is good as well.

Longboat key, Midnight Pass, Ana Maria Island and Bradenton/Holmes beach all offer fantastic scenery, good food and a relaxing atmosphere. I go there about 2-4 times a month and stop at the beach whenever i can.

Micanopy has/had some antique shops as does Myakka, Bradenton and areas east of town.

I'm working now but I'll get with you on some others when i get to a real computer!

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

"Cruise" over to your nearest Barnes & Noble and order "Best Backroads of Florida" by D. Waitley. The book comes in 3 editons depending on which area of the State you are interested in....I have all 3 (paperbacks). The author describes many scenic backroads and historic points of interest normally overlooked when traveling the major arteries. I belong to a very cruise oriented club and this is the "bible" we use in planning most of our in-state activities.
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Excellent suggestion

You'll find in the same section, many other books on Florida, restaurants, "old Florida" and much more that can make a real difference in your travels.

There's always the "1 tank trip" book as well. Not the best out there but certainly not bad
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
krash721

Name :
krash721 has disabled reputation
Default cruise idea

There is also an excellent book out called:
'Florida Bed and Breakfast' (or sumpin' like dat) that covers an amazing amount of out of the way spots.
krash721 is offline   Reply With Quote