The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 12-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road
Default Driving from Ft. Myers to Orlando?

Google map is telling us to go up SR 29. Is this a better way than going up 75 to 4? It seems a more direct route but I'm not sure if it's a bad road to travel on. What the best way?
Unread 12-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
naples

Name :
naples is on a distinguished road

It's rural. A nice drive. Not nearly as insane a drive up 75 and on I-4. Which IMO are two of the worst roads in the country. Go for it.
Unread 12-23-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I've sorta been fond of route 17 myself. But been a while since I've traveled that route. When the wife and I lived in Maryland and would go to Englewood on vacations, we would always catch 17 out of Orlando for that final leg of the trip south....
Unread 12-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal
Google map is telling us to go up SR 29. Is this a better way than going up 75 to 4? It seems a more direct route but I'm not sure if it's a bad road to travel on. What the best way?
29 takes you to 27, no? We live in Lehigh and always go over to Labelle on 80 then 29 to 27 to I-4 then into Orlanda. We usually are just going to Old Town or Disney and that works out great. 27 takes you through Sebring and Avon Park with lots of traffic lights, but I still prefer it to going up 75 which is really out of the way, anyway.
Whichever way you go, have a safe trip!
Unread 12-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

I traveled the entire state for over 25 yrs in my business...mainly on the interstates and turnpike. I-75 is a zoo this time of year;; I-4 is a zoo ANY time of the year. Now, I use the backroads (particularly w/ the vette) and really enjoy it more. I find the interstates (especially I-4) increasingly unreliable. Remember, with the vette, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RIDE! US 27 provides excellent transportation (4 lane) from Clewiston to Clermont and beyond. US 17 is OK but is 2 lane in many places and takes you thru Kissimmee, which is heavy tourist this time of year. Good Luck and be safe!
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about moving down around Glades or Hendry county, i'm so tired of city life and traffic. That's about the only part of FL that's not built up yet.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

The time will probably be about the same either way. Possible a little longer with the lights and local speed limits (watch the smaller towns), but the view is much better

When I have the time, I do the back roads. If I need to get somewhere quick, I usually take the interstates and feeders. Heavy traffic in some areas but when you can move...YOU CAN MOVE!!!

If you hve the time though, I'd go the back way...
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51
I'm thinking about moving down around Glades or Hendry county, i'm so tired of city life and traffic. That's about the only part of FL that's not built up yet.
Be sure to let us know when (and where) you find it...I'm suffocating!
Unread 12-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51
I guess you haven't been up to my neck of the woods lately..... Still a lot of wide open spaces around here. The main corridors in and out of Tallahassee are getting worse, but relatively speaking, it's not bad at all. Heck, years ago I was out in Los Angeles for a month for school. NOTHING out here can compare to THAT! I talked to people who would spend 2 HOURS each way just commuting to and from work. I have NO idea what it is like out there now, and have absolutely no desire whatsoever to find out.
Unread 12-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I guess you haven't been up to my neck of the woods lately..... Still a lot of wide open spaces around here. The main corridors in and out of Tallahassee are getting worse, but relatively speaking, it's not bad at all. Heck, years ago I was out in Los Angeles for a month for school. NOTHING out here can compare to THAT! I talked to people who would spend 2 HOURS each way just commuting to and from work. I have NO idea what it is like out there now, and have absolutely no desire whatsoever to find out.
Love your neck of the woods...I'm very partial to N. FL having lived in Perdido Key and Jax...also put 2 kids thru Half A$$ U. Central Fla has become much too crowded. I'd move in a heartbeat but the other half has deeper roots.