The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 02-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road
Default Myth About Not Signing Back of Your Credit Card

If you are one of those that write, "Check ID" on the back of your credit cards, take note. Local TV News in Ft Myers took several cards with "Check ID" on back to different retailers with hidden camera and purchased items ranging in price from $25 to $150. ID's were never checked on any of the purchases. Furthermore, without a signature on back of card, retailers are not obliged to accept card per statement on back of card.

Please be guided accordingly...

Armando
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
If you are one of those that write, "Check ID" on the back of your credit cards, take note. Local TV News in Ft Myers took several cards with "Check ID" on back to different retailers with hidden camera and purchased items ranging in price from $25 to $150. ID's were never checked on any of the purchases. Furthermore, without a signature on back of card, retailers are not obliged to accept card per statement on back of card.

Please be guided accordingly...

Armando

Ive never really had problems with writing that on my card. I had one retailer say they wouldn't accept it so I showed them my DL to prove I was the same person, and as soon as the cashier sarted to complete the sale I walked away. I refused to finish the sale if they are that stupid.

If I put my signature on the card it is VERY easy to scribble the signature in some similiar fashion and use the card without the true owner knowing. I make them see the DL, and on frequent occasion I am asked for the DL itself. Just last night I returned from the restroom at a restaurant and saw the waiter standing near my table. When I got there he apologized and said "Well I'm only doing what you ask, may I see your ID?" I obliged as I hope they all do the same thing.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Hell, I can't even SIGN my name the same way twice, even if I try. I always get a chuckle out of those electronic signature gizmos the stores use now to collect the credit card data. It ALWAYS accepts my signature no matter what I scribble there! So what's the point? If someone were to take a copy and ask me if that were truly my signature, I would have to say "How the hell do I know? It just looks like some scribble that anyone could have done!"

Unread 02-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Tommy T-Bone

Name :
Tommy T-Bone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
Ive never really had problems with writing that on my card. I had one retailer say they wouldn't accept it so I showed them my DL to prove I was the same person, and as soon as the cashier sarted to complete the sale I walked away. I refused to finish the sale if they are that stupid.

If I put my signature on the card it is VERY easy to scribble the signature in some similiar fashion and use the card without the true owner knowing. I make them see the DL, and on frequent occasion I am asked for the DL itself. Just last night I returned from the restroom at a restaurant and saw the waiter standing near my table. When I got there he apologized and said "Well I'm only doing what you ask, may I see your ID?" I obliged as I hope they all do the same thing.
The first thing the credit card companies tell you to do is sign the back of your card . If you don't, you have no agreement with the credit card company. It basically stating you accept the terms of the credit card. No agreement no acceptance. It's the people who dont sign who don't follow the rules. Walk if you want. I sign mine and at the end of the space write CK ID. Any reason for not signing the card is just a bunch of misguided b.s.
Tommy T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Z06 Rocket

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy T-Bone View Post
The first thing the credit card companies tell you to do is sign the back of your card . If you don't, you have no agreement with the credit card company. It basically stating you accept the terms of the credit card. No agreement no acceptance. It's the people who dont sign who don't follow the rules. Walk if you want. I sign mine and at the end of the space write CK ID. Any reason for not signing the card is just a bunch of misguided b.s.

Well when the server uses your card in a skimmer to read the numbers, then uses your card around town and the bank looks at the signatures on file and says its you (or prove it isnt) then maybe you will understand. I know someone that happened to. If they dont see my signature they can't duplicate it. It takes just a little intelligence for the server - cashier- etc to look at the ID card, if they can't handle that then I don't need to spend my money there. I have had VERY LITTLE problem with it, and my family has had VERY LITTLE problem with it. I would rather deal with an incompetent cashier than an identity thief. We all know it's too easy for them as it is, there's no need to help them along.

Quote:
It's the people who dont sign who don't follow the rules.
How can you make some absurd statement such as this? Who are you to make any sort of statement that no signature mans were some sort of rebel without a cause?? That's akin to saying that if I carry it in a money clip instead of in a wallet then I am not protecting it and it may get damaged, and since it's the banks property I am not following the agreement... You must work for a bank.

As for the agreement, I get the bill each month, and they get their payment, so I guess our agreement works now doesn't it?

Quote:
No agreement no acceptance...........I sign mine and at the end of the space write CK ID.
Sound like there's a bit of a problem here, you aren't following the "agreement" either as "Chek ID" is not part of your name....
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Tommy T-Bone

Name :

Back of Sears MasterCard. Authorized signature. Not valid unless signed.
Back of Macy's credit card. Authorized signature.

Using the top example makes the non signer an invalid user.
Using the second example makes anybodys signature the authorized signature.
Either way, not signing is a perfect example of some peoples inability to follow
simple instructions.
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Z06 Rocket

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy T-Bone View Post
Back of Sears MasterCard. Authorized signature. Not valid unless signed.
Back of Macy's credit card. Authorized signature.

Using the top example makes the non signer an invalid user.
Using the second example makes anybodys signature the authorized signature.
Either way, not signing is a perfect example of some peoples inability to follow
simple instructions.
I guess they must tolerate my wayward, rowdy, and totally anti establishment methods because they sure as heck wanted my money for all these years now didn't they? The "simple instructions" must not be all that important or every single establishment would refuse to sell to the scum of the earth that cant chew bubble gum and walk at the same time much less follow simple instructions.

If you want to sign then go right ahead. It's your card and your credit score on the line. I'm sure your the type of person that also goes 45 mph in a 45 zone (NEVER EVER 46 mph heaven forbid) because that would be failure to follow SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS- "Speed limit" sign. You also never roll a stop sign or roll a right on red,, because again that would be failure to follow SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS - "Stop". So sign till your hearts content, and hopefully you never loose your wallet or get it stolen because the first few charges are all yours..........
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

FWIW, I once had my card numbers stolen. They used it to party all throughout Disney/Lake Buena Vista to the tune of about $2500.00!

My bank...Wachovia...did thier investigation and in the meantime, cancelled all charges and refunded every dime of my $$. I had no idea it was missing until I checked my statement at the ATM on day.

Now, I check everyday on lineFind something I don't recognize, I call

Of course, most people can somehow prove where they were at a given time as was my case. I was working a case on the other side of the state and had purchase receipts during the time frame.

Sign or no sign, anything can happen. Tommy's right and I have been called on my card a few times because it's so old and worn that you can't read the signature or the "void" is starting to show through They usually accept it after a brief and relatively unobtrusive verification process

BTW, the "void" in the sig line is there in case someone tries to erase your signatureAnother saftey net.

Now, each of you have a point so please, play nice with each other
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Tommy T-Bone

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
I guess they must tolerate my wayward, rowdy, and totally anti establishment methods
I can tolerate you too.

Quote:
I'm sure your the type of person that also goes 45 mph in a 45 zone (NEVER EVER 46 mph heaven forbid) because that would be failure to follow SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS- "Speed limit" sign. You also never roll a stop sign or roll a right on red,, because again that would be failure to follow SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS - "Stop". So sign till your hearts content, and hopefully you never loose your wallet or get it stolen because the first few charges are all yours..........
You obviously don't know me. Just because the rules are in place doesn't mean I follow all the rules. I break the ones I want to break when I want to break them. I have no issue with you personally. You obviously have an issue with rules and regulations. I just stated the facts. Violate on dude.
Unread 02-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

This is an interesting discussion. Please don't ruin it by allowing it to become a personal feud. Just because your opinion is different from someone else's doesn't mean it is WRONG.