The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Torque wrench....

I have a confession to make. Not only do I NOT own a torque wrench, I have NEVER owned one.

So since everything on the new vehicles now seems to have torque specifications, I guess I need to buy one, huh? Or do I need more then one? Seems I see all kinds of specs, and I doubt one wrench could handle them all accurately. So what brand is "acceptable" in quality? I don't need to have the best one around, just one that is adequate for a shade tree mechanic. I'm not going to be pulling transmissions or heads or stuff like that, mostly just light duty stuff that are befitting some 55 year old guy who just likes to putter around on occasion. So with that in mind, do I just run to Sears and buy one? Or would a Walmart special do just fine?
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I've never owned one either.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
EatRice

Name :
EatRice has disabled reputation

When it comes to a torque wrench quality matters. A torque wrench is a highly calibrated tool that is useless when not working properly.If you plan on purchasing one make sure it is a high quality piece. I have three Snap On wrenches that are pampered. Also torque specs have been provided for cars for as long as I can remember....nothing special about new cars.

As for weather you need one....not from what you are saying. You will have no problems using common hand tools along with common sense when working on your car. Not to mention if you ever really needed a torque wrench you can rent one or I am sure someone on the board will loan you one.
EatRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
KBlanke

Name : Kenny Blankenship
KBlanke is on a distinguished road

The Sears one should work fine for occasional use, just make sure that it is stored with the reading on zero each time.
KBlanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket
I've never owned one either.
Me too. I plan on buying one soon. Probably the biggest thing is the wheels. Is there a master listing of torque specs? I'm guessing the 3 book manual for the Z06 would have it?

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

I have 2...one from Sears and one from Home Depot....Sears had them on sale last week damn near 50% off.....

It is one of those tools that you really need more than one....
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well I went to Sears today and bought a 3/8th inch torque wrench that was on sale. Got it for around $55 I think. I may go back and get the 1/2 inch one, just for the heck of it. I'm a tool-a-holic anyway so the more the merrier! Doesn't matter if I never use it! But at least I will have it. I bought a milling machine and a small lathe a while back and about every piece of tooling you can imagine. Haven't used but about 1 percent of the stuff........
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Zyell06

Name :
Zyell06 is on a distinguished road

Gotta have TQ wrenches. I use em on everything. From wheels to sparkplugs to get this.............oil drain plugs!! I know. i have a problem. "Hello, my name is Gary and i am a torq-aholic." hehehe

gary
Zyell06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyell06
Gotta have TQ wrenches. I use em on everything. From wheels to sparkplugs to get this.............oil drain plugs!! I know. i have a problem. "Hello, my name is Gary and i am a torq-aholic." hehehe

gary
Unread 05-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well I went to Sears today and bought a 3/8th inch torque wrench that was on sale. Got it for around $55 I think. I may go back and get the 1/2 inch one, just for the heck of it. I'm a tool-a-holic anyway so the more the merrier! Doesn't matter if I never use it! But at least I will have it. I bought a milling machine and a small lathe a while back and about every piece of tooling you can imagine. Haven't used but about 1 percent of the stuff........

yep...don't worry you will use them....I have more crap I don't need due to buying stuff I do need because it usually comes in a set that is priced so low that buying the 1 piece would be stupid...
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote