The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-09-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
Carl81

Name :
Carl81 has disabled reputation
Default Bilstein Engine Flush

I already know I screwed up badly, but I have a lot of engine oil sludge built up on top of my L-81 heads. I am ready and willing to pay for the Bilstein Engine Flush to clean some of that crap out of my engine before I blow it up.

Does anyone know of any Florida dealers that have this machine and the cost? I have seen $60 and I have seen $120, both out of state.

(I hereby promise to do a better job in the future with changing my oil every 90 days, starting tomorrow.)

Thanks.

www.mycarframes.com
Carl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
Carl81

Name :

To answer my own question: No, I don't think there is a dealer in FL that does this engine flush. Looks like I will be spending a few hours (days?) under mine getting nice and dirty. I love the smell of old oil, don't you?
Unread 10-19-2006, 02:16 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Honestly, I have never heard of the "Bilstein Engine Flush". Is it something special?

My general rule of thumb is to not let the oil get any darker than one shade darker over what it looks like when new. Oil is relatively cheap and I have NEVER heard of anyone having problems by changing the oil too often....

IMHO....
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
MR.LT1

Name :
MR.LT1 is on a distinguished road

I remember when I met my wife she was clueless about cars, the year was 1990 and she had purchased back in 1997 a new Hyundai Excel
So when we started dating me being the car guy that I am I check over her car all fluids etc...when I come to see that the dipstick isn't showing any oil
I ask her..when was the last time she changed the oil...her reply: "I didn't know that was suppose to be changed"
Unread 10-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Default TRY THIS IDEA!!

GO TO WEBSITE AND FILL OUT FORM...FIND DEALER...THEN HE CAN TELL YOU WHO HE SOLD ONE TO IN YOUR AREA.

http://www.bilstein.com/dealerlocatornoecomm.php

GOOD LUCK!!
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

This will help with carbon build-up.

This stuff works and it's very easy to use. When I did it there was soooo much smoke it was crazy.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtip...=212&TopicID=1

Good luck.
Suicide King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
Carl81

Name :

Thank you all for your comments and help.

I did contact Bilstein about finding a dealer here in FL, but after a couple of weeks, I have not heard back from them. I would assume, there is not one.
A phone call is next.

The Bilstein Engine Flush machine is a back flush wash system designed to clear and clean the inside of your engine. It pumps heated (110 degrees) solvents back wards though your whole system filtering and cleaning the fluids continuously as it passes through the machine. It is not supposed to damage any valve seals or any other parts.

Does it work? I have no idea, but I would be willing to give it a shot, I bet it does. Everything looks logical to me on their web sight and I would guess Bilstein would not produce any real voodoo rip off crap to damage their name.

In the mean time, I am going to change the oil every 30 days for a while and try various popular chemical additives for very short periods of time to possibly help dissolve the sludge. Everything must help at least a bit.

I will try to do an update.

Thanks again.
Unread 10-20-2006, 12:50 AM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Hmm, I guess the trick doing it that way would be figuring out what sort of additive would dissolve the sludge but not break down the lubricating properties of the oil itself. I think that could be a challenge........
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #9
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

I have been a new car Service and Parts manager for thirty years. I'm not going to tell you this won't work but there are a few things to think about here. In order for it to work the first thing that is going to happen is that you are going to have to thin out the oil, if your engine is as sludged up as you say it is more than likely the oil passages are clogged as well. If by some miracle this flushing system works, that means that all that sludge and crud will be washing through your engine, thru your main bearings, thru your cam bearings, thru your oil filter and thru your pickup screen. There are only a few places sledge can collect, the top of the heads, the lifter valley and the oil pan are the most likely. If your main concern is on top of tour heads, take off the valve covers, take off the rockers, get a putty knife and clean out the crap as best you can. Years ago when we had an engine with a clogged lifter or sledge buildup we use to put Marvel Mystery Oil in with the oil to unclog the lifter or to help loosen the sledge. Run the motor for a bit then change the oil and filter. I use to sell BG products at the dealership, about $40,000 a years worth, but to be honest it was basically just a profit maker. Ya they had all kinds of documentation showing how well it worked, but to be honest it was a gaff just to make money. It is my belief that most of these miracle services that are going to clean your engine, or stop oil leaks, or make your tranny like new do not work, they are just another way to make money. Naturally the things I am saying are my opinion, but my opinions are based on 35 plus years of working in service departments and building engines. Another thing to think of is if they are going to pump a solution thru your engine under pressure you run the risk of blowing out your rear main seal and other engine seals. If your problem is as severe as you think, I believe the only way to fix it is to take it apart and clean it by hand, to have all that crap washing thru your engine at 3000 rpm is not the ideal solution. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide, I hope everything works out ok for you. Here is a website for you to check out if you want.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm

Here is a quote from this site regarding oil flushes;

Engine Flushes--The Latest Scam

Engine flushes pump heated solvent through your engine, supposedly to wash away sludge. But regular oil changes with detergent oil already take care of the sludge problem. And if you actually have an engine that is full of sludge the last thing you want to do is do an engine flush because the sludge can clog the oil passages and destroy the engine completely. These flushes are completely unnecessary. All they do is wash the money out of your wallet. As Click and Clack state: "This is what's known in the business as a "profit center." Something the garage can use to beef up the amount each person spends per visit. So unless you've got a very old car, and are trying to solve a specific, sludge- or carbon-related-problem, I'd skip the R-2000." These engine flushes usually sell for about $130. The victims are people that think that they are doing something nice for their vehicle by cleaning the engine. In fact a dealer or repair shop that tries to sell you an engine flush should be avoided for all service because they are untrustworthy.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king

Last edited by Nytro; 10-20-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

Great web page Nytro.
Lots of stuff I didn't know.

Thanks
Suicide King is offline   Reply With Quote