The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 01-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road
Default USF Fires Football Coach

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/1/8/567591.html

WOW!!!

Fanhouse link ----------> http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/201...h-jim-leavitt/
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

If he broke the rules then he deserves it...beats being accused of assault...
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sophomore Joel Miller, who played high school football at Wharton high school, said he was grabbed by the throat in the locker room at halftime of the Bulls' game with Louisville in November.
Bigger question is, why?

Doesn't justify "striking a student"; however, it super jock was smarting off to the coach, maybe he needed a little addtitude adjustment? (just stirring the pot)

Quote:
The Bulls went 8-5 this season, capping off the year with a win in the International Bowl last week, the program's second straight bowl win.

In 13 seasons at USF, Leavitt went 95-57, led USF to a total of five bowls appearances and three bowl wins. Leavitt was in the second season of a seven-year, $12.6 million contract.
Sounds like a real f**k up alright

Quote:
Leavitt confirmed his dismissal to The Associated Press, telling the AP he was "disappointed" and the allegation was "absolutely false."
Polygraph my boy IF you're clean then sue the pants off Driveshaft, I mean genshaft...

Quote:
Letter from USF president Judy Genshaft
8 January 2010

An Open Letter to the USF Community and Alumni

I want to take a moment to thank Jim Leavitt, USF's founding football coach. As a native of St. Petersburg, Jim Leavitt was enthusiastic and successful in launching USF football from start-up to national achievement. He worked hard to run a successful program for 14 years and many USF athletes went on to greater heights.

Sadly, at the end of his tenure at USF, Coach Leavitt committed serious violations of our standards of conduct. A thorough, fair and professional review conducted by internal and external reviewers over the past three weeks led the university to decide that USF should now seek a new head coach.
Wonder "who" did the review?

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Bradzvette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
If he broke the rules then he deserves it...beats being accused of assault...
He struck a player, twice.

Fanhouse must be extremely pleased to be vindicated.

Over the years I have conversed with many football coaches from several different area high schools and the feedback I got on Leavitt was not very good. Basketball coaches and football coaches always talk to each other about recruiting and horror stories associated with it. Many HS caoches have actually steered their kids away from USF because of Leavitt recently. So this was not a surprise to me at all.

Dumb, just dumb.

Woody Hayes could get away with it to some extent, but apples and oranges comparing Hayes and Leavitt.
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Bradzvette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Bigger question is, why?

A penalty was called against the kid on special teams, was pivotal in the game I think.

Doesn't justify "striking a student"; however, it super jock was smarting off to the coach, maybe he needed a little addtitude adjustment? (just stirring the pot)

The Wharton kid was actually a walk on, not a pampered blue chipper. Pretty good kid from what I have heard. Regardless, it is never warranted. There are a million better ways to hold a player accountable for their game conduct and performance.

Sounds like a real f**k up alright

Multi million dollar career ending F-up. Gonna be tough to recover fromt this and get trust back. Especially after denying it and trying to cover it up, I doubt anyone will consider him at all. As soon as the story broke he should have confessed, might have been able to salvage a career, but not now.

Polygraph my boy IF you're clean then sue the pants off Driveshaft, I mean genshaft...

Kid's story was backed up by other players, assistant coaches and non-support staff who witnessed the incident. Not the first time Leavitt had struck a player for F-ing up in a football game. Don't be surprised to hear more stories like this come out now that players know their scholarships are safe.

Wonder "who" did the review?
Each major college has a compliance staff I believe that have prior investigative experience and answer to the school president, independent of the athletic office. Again all the witnesses came forth and stories were consistent.

Second D-1 coach to go down for misconduct/mistreatment of players in a month.

Time for these guys to wake up and remember what coaching is about.

"Excellence is not obtained through fear and intimidation, but rather inspiration and preperation."

That has always been the foundation of MY coaching philosophy.

Cheers
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I have not seen enough evidence to say he did it yet. I know that the player himself, and the father of the player both have recanted and changed their story several times in the media. I hope Leavitt is right in this case he sues the friggin pants off USF. I think it's more of a money issue just like it was for Leach over at Texas Tech. Both were in the start of new very high contracts. Leach was fired one day before an $800,000 dollar bonus was to hit his bank account. Fire the expensive guy and hire a new guy at less money. It's the business motto of alot of very large companies.

Suspicious indeed.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Bradzvette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
I have not seen enough evidence to say he did it yet. I know that the player himself, and the father of the player both have recanted and changed their story several times in the media. I hope Leavitt is right in this case he sues the friggin pants off USF. I think it's more of a money issue just like it was for Leach over at Texas Tech. Both were in the start of new very high contracts. Leach was fired one day before an $800,000 dollar bonus was to hit his bank account. Fire the expensive guy and hire a new guy at less money. It's the business motto of alot of very large companies.

Suspicious indeed.
You could definitely be correct on that.

However, it wasn't the Wharton kid who said anything or tipped off Fanhouse.com, either a team manager or another player. The kid obviously believed in the philosophy of what happens on the mile stays on the mile. His coach at Wharton, who is a preacher or deacon I think, has steadfastly stated since the story broke that he was struck.

Also, think about it from the kid's and parent's stand point, did they want to be the ones to topple a nationally known coach and have the spotlight and attention? To me that would explain the waffling. If the kid himself initiated all this and no corroborating testimony then I would be suspicious. But if you read the report there were at least five witnesses to the incident from various backgrounds who confirmed what happened.

As far as TT Coach, well concussions are not something to mess with, let the trainers handle that. When I have had players hurt I always errored on the side of caution, regardless. I always have to live with myslef.

Just food for thought.

Cheers
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
A penalty was called against the kid on special teams, was pivotal in the game I think.
I can understand the frustration, but as you said, regardless, it never justifies violence against a team member.

Quote:
The Wharton kid was actually a walk on, not a pampered blue chipper. Pretty good kid from what I have heard. Regardless, it is never warranted. There are a million better ways to hold a player accountable for their game conduct and performance

I've seen and heard my share of "good kids" with smart mouths. I've also seen and heard my share of "hood rats" that were as polite as the day is long. Blue Chipper or from the hood...doesn't matter. I was actually being somewhat sarcastic with the "attitude adjustment" comment. Sorry if it came across differently.

Quote:
Multi million dollar career ending F-up. Gonna be tough to recover fromt this and get trust back. Especially after denying it and trying to cover it up, I doubt anyone will consider him at all. As soon as the story broke he should have confessed, might have been able to salvage a career, but not now.
Might be for now, but if it plays out differently in the end, it could be a multi-million dollar cost to the taxpayer and career ender for genshaft.

Quote:
Kid's story was backed up by other players, assistant coaches and non-support staff who witnessed the incident. Not the first time Leavitt had struck a player for F-ing up in a football game. Don't be surprised to hear more stories like this come out now that players know their scholarships are safe.
See, that's the problem. As an outsider, I have no way of knowing how much is fact and how much might be sour grapes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradzvette View Post
Each major college has a compliance staff I believe that have prior investigative experience and answer to the school president, independent of the athletic office. Again all the witnesses came forth and stories were consistent.

Didn't rocket mention something about some inconsistencies or withdrawls in the statements? Does the president and this coach have a history? Answering to the president seems like a problem in itself. Seems like I'd want the accountable to some entity )state or PD) outside the university (I know the PD is "part of" the university, but the pres. has no authority over them.
Hopefully, the investigative staff have a decent investigative background. Screw something like this up and

Second D-1 coach to go down for misconduct/mistreatment of players in a month.

Not a good pattern. Maybe they need some of our "human diversity & conflict resolution courses....the touchy feely, feel good chit

Time for these guys to wake up and remember what coaching is about.

It's a game. Some of these coaches (like the numskull from UF) take it too personally

"Excellence is not obtained through fear and intimidation, but rather inspiration and preperation."

Are you suggesting that someone should "earn" respect rather than "demand" it?

That has always been the foundation of MY coaching philosophy.

Not a coach, but it's the way I always tried to approach policing when I could. I agree
Cheers
It'll be interesting to see how this continues to unfold.

Remember:

Unread 01-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Bradzvette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
[color="Red"]I've seen and heard my share of "good kids" with smart mouths. I've also seen and heard my share of "hood rats" that were as polite as the day is long. Blue Chipper or from the hood...doesn't matter. I was actually being somewhat sarcastic with the "attitude adjustment" comment. Sorry if it came across differently.
Oh no, you were right on with that. Shoot we benched five regulars last week becasue of bad attitudes (yeah they are good kids but are not with the game plan so to speak) and started five freshaman against Springstead. So no doubt your point was right on. Just passing along a pespective of 25 years of coaching and 11 years in the classroom dealing with kids.

Most college athletic walk-ons are fighting for a scholarship, usually they are not the PITAs, its the blue chippers that think they can do what they want to and have the attitudes. They think because they were recruited by several programs that they are the chit.

Also dont forget the kid's HS coach stepped up publically and supported him from day one, that was huge. If the coach is wrong, no D1 recruiter will ever visit Wharton again. And those HS players will go to Hillsborough, Plant etc.

We will see though.

Always good having a discussion with you Shadow, never a worry brother.

Cheers
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Shadow

Name :

Thanks for the insight. My history is not in the classroom or on the field, so all I ever get to see is either what's on TV/Newspaper, or the aftermath of things gone wrong

Good to get a better perspective.

Thanks

Remember: