The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road
Default Long Tube Headers

A few months ago I installed a set of Mid-America Quad Cruiser mufflers.
I like the sound they make but it is too noisy in the cabin when accelerating at any speed. I am getting a little slack from the wife.

I still have the stock mufflers and thought of putting them back on but I will miss the rumble.

Anyone knows how noisy it would be in the cabin with Long Tube Headers and stock mufflers? I can probably get Kook headers for about $1,200.

The other options would be to get Corsa Touring mufflers for about $1,600.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Lou
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

I run Dynatech 1-7/8" LT's with Magnaflow complete 3" exhaust. Theres not really much a drone to me. Theres a insulator they sell to put above your torque tube and inside the cabin that will reduce sound.

Most of your sound is going to come from the mufflers, and being theres like nothing between the mufflers and the rear hatch thats were the majority of sound resonance is going to come from. Since it sounds likes to reverb off glass, itll shoot forward to the sitting cabin...

I drive around with my cutouts open ALL the time lol, only close them when a lady or someone who hates the sound gets in.
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

I installed a set of Melrose LT headers on my '07 and mated them to my stock exhaust/mufflers. Plenty of sound (during acceleration) without the drone or cabin noise. Slight additional power but will require a tune...otherwise you will likely throw some codes. I liked the Melrose product for the fit and finish and they come coated from the factory to reduce heat.

I removed them prior to trading the '07 because I did not want any issues w/ the factory warranty. Good luck!
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Lou G

Name :

Thanks guys. Two good options I had not thought of.
I plan to do something within the next couple of weeks.
Will let you know what I did and how I like it.
Thanks again.
Lou
Unread 08-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Lou G

Name :

I have another question.

As I look at the different headers I see 1 7/8" and 1 3/4" dimensions. What is the difference between the two (beside size) and do you guys know what came stock with the '06?
Unread 08-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
MRS. XTREME

Name :
MRS. XTREME is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou G View Post
I have another question.

As I look at the different headers I see 1 7/8" and 1 3/4" dimensions. What is the difference between the two (beside size) and do you guys know what came stock with the '06?

There really is no difference its just the sz of the primary tube.
If your gonna remain stock 1 3/4" will suit what your gonna do...but if you plan on supercharging or turbos or heads and cam then the 1 7/8" would be better to accomodate the extra air your introducing into the engine.

MRS. XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Lou G

Name :

Thank you so much.
I am thinking of heads and cam in a few months so I will go with the 1 7/8".

For a while there I thought that you and revxtreme were the same company.
Do you both do the same but are located in different parts of Florida?
Lou
Unread 08-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
MRS. XTREME

Name :

Quote:
Thank you so much.
I am thinking of heads and cam in a few months so I will go with the 1 7/8".

For a while there I thought that you and revxtreme were the same company.
Do you both do the same but are located in different parts of Florida?
Lou
No problem

No we're not the same company but yes basically do the same stuff.

We are in the Panhandle of FLA and they are a little ways down South.

Good luck with you head and cam job you will LOVE IT !!!!
Unread 08-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have another question.

Actually this is of interest to me right now. When I got my LG MotorSports Pro Long Tube headers for my C5Z, I faced that same question. From what I remember, apparently the wider primary tubes are better for high end torque, and the smaller diameter primaries are better for low to mid range torque. At least on a stock engine. Since I had in mind getting turbos (or similar power adder) later on down the road, I figured the high end torque would be well taken care of by the power adder, so I wanted the headers to help boost the low end for me.

But now that I am considering getting a 427 Warhawk motor built and dropped into the C5Z, I'm wondering if those headers are going to be an acceptable match for the larger amount of air that both the bigger motor and the increased boost that the motor will be able to withstand from the turbos. Right now the turbos are limited to only 6.5 psi, but with the new motor, then the gloves can come off and those turbos can sing as hard as they want to. I still want the low to midrange enhanced, since the turbos will still be taking care of that upper end for me, but will they then be a restriction at the upper end? Also, I'm wondering if the new heads might have exhaust ports that will be larger then the port openings in the headers.... Not that I would want to spend another $1,600 for new headers unless they would be a severe problem..... Maybe some experts will chip in here with some opinions....

As for the noise issue, I noted that when I had the long tube headers installed with the stock mufflers, that the tone got deeper, but particularly louder... I did some videos of a comparison a while back, so I guess they still work -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...hread.php?t=34
Unread 08-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
MRS. XTREME

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually this is of interest to me right now. When I got my LG MotorSports Pro Long Tube headers for my C5Z, I faced that same question. From what I remember, apparently the wider primary tubes are better for high end torque, and the smaller diameter primaries are better for low to mid range torque. At least on a stock engine. Since I had in mind getting turbos (or similar power adder) later on down the road, I figured the high end torque would be well taken care of by the power adder, so I wanted the headers to help boost the low end for me.

But now that I am considering getting a 427 Warhawk motor built and dropped into the C5Z, I'm wondering if those headers are going to be an acceptable match for the larger amount of air that both the bigger motor and the increased boost that the motor will be able to withstand from the turbos. I still want the low to midrange enhanced, since the turbos will still be taking care of that upper end for me, but will they then be a restriction at the upper end? Also, I'm wondering if the new heads might have exhaust ports that will be larger then the port openings in the headers.... Not that I would want to spend another $1,600 for new headers unless they would be a severe problem..... Maybe some experts will chip in here with some opinions....

As for the noise issue, I noted that when I had the long tube headers installed with the stock mufflers, that the tone got deeper, but particularly louder... I did some videos of a comparison a while back, so I guess they still work -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...hread.php?t=34

Dave at Random Technology and Chris discussed several times on doing dyno testing on this particular question and have considered with the larger displacement engines that are coming out trying a set of 2" primary headers.

Personally Rich you going with some bigger primary headers wouldnt hurt. I think even running a complete 3" exhaust system with you running that much amount of air would help.