The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 08-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #21
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

You're not kidding! With gas prices where they are it'd almost be cheaper to fly.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #22
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette4all
Anywhere, at least in Palm Beach County, you go you will find that Shell (which I use) is always the most expensive gas. In addition a lot of Shell stations show a differential of $.26 to $.28 between the regular and the premium.
I went to a Sunoco yesterday that was $.30 difference between regular and premium. Pissed me off. I went somewhere else.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #23
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
We have a trip planned to Maryland next month and I hate to think what the price tag is going to be on just getting there and back.
We made it to Kentucky and back on 4 tanks of gas. Not including the gas we bought while driving around town. It was actually a little less. It would have cost us more to fly and rent a car. 700 miles and change each way.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #24
00 NBFRC

Name :
00 NBFRC has disabled reputation

The owners manual says 91 octane. It really depends on how you drive the car. I know an old guy who has a C5 A4 and he puts 87 in with no knocking issues. The computer in the car will change the timing based on the octane of the fuel.
All the base gasoline is the same. What makes it different is the additive package. Those formulas are added when the fuel is pumped into the tanker for delivery.
The highest octane you can buy in California is 91.
If you are not getting 8 gallons per minute when you are at the pump, stop pumping, the filters are dirty and you could have problems.
Fill up at the coolest part of the morning because the fuel companies measure gas volume at 60 degrees. If you fill up a 20 gallon tank at 90 degrees, you are loosing .4 of a gallon. There is a lawsuit pending on this ripoff now. http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2...ed_debate.html
I generally use Chevron, BP and BJs wholesale on a rotating basis with no issues.
I filled up with BJs premium before a trip to Atlanta and averaged 29.0 mpg driving 75-90.
00 NBFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #25
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 NBFRC
Fill up at the coolest part of the morning because the fuel companies measure gas volume at 60 degrees. If you fill up a 20 gallon tank at 90 degrees, you are loosing .4 of a gallon. There is a lawsuit pending on this ripoff now. http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2...ed_debate.html
But if you fill up your 20 gallon tank at 60 degrees, what becomes of that extra 8 gallons of expanded gasoline when the tank reaches 90 degrees?
Unread 07-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #26
00 NBFRC

Name :
00 NBFRC has disabled reputation

Good question. Its not 8 gallons its .4 of a gallon out of 20 at high temp. Thats how I understood the article. Ive never had a gas tank overflow on me because of a change of temp. But this does have to add up for them. Its in the billions.
00 NBFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #27
JCswm

Name :
JCswm is on a distinguished road

Not a C5 but my C3 runs the best on Sunoco 94 and it seems to get better mpg ......

There IS WATER in Citgo fuel... I can see the bottom of my fuel tank with the gas cap off & every time I bought gas at Citgo there was water in the bottom of my tank!!

I'll bet if you filled your tank to the rim at daybreak and left your car sit at the pump 'till the heat of the day it would overflow

The fuel tanks are underground where temps don't change as much

I'm sure the Gas company's are screwing us every way they can

JCswm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 02:35 AM   #28
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Back in my high performance days with my '66 GTO, I used to use Sunoco 260 all the time. Finally got a new Sunoco station that opened up fairly nearby, so I may try some tank fulls to see how my C5Z likes it. Just not a lot of those stations around these parts, it seems....
Unread 08-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #29
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Amoco Ultimate. 93 oct. pretty much only and I'll throw in a bottle of boost 104 every now and then.

Ken
Unread 08-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #30
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

I use Lucus products in her,fuel cleaner and oil treatment,have been for years,Great stuff.I only put 91 or higher in her when it's cheap enough,normally just 89 octane.Mobile 1 Sys. oil,but the next oil change I will go to redline oil.use it before in other cars,Great stuff
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote