The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 01-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

I've been holding off, and holding off, trying to do brakes and wheels and tires all at once. Finally got a flat on Friday in one of the OEM rear tires. When I tried to air it up it would blow right out just as fast from what felt like a BIG hole. I wonder if I wore right through them? Dunno, they were pretty damn worn.

Quoted about $1560, out the door, at the Tire Kingdom in Seffner (I'm waiting for the tires to come in). Michelin Pilot Sport 2s, in 265/40-17 and 295/35-18. Price includes setting up the new wheels with new sensors (I provide), dismounting and disposing the old tires, tax, etc. No alignment, I'm going to come back in a week and get that. Tire Rack would be about $1270, shipped. For the tires alone I'm paying about $1445 with tax, so it's costing me about $175 extra to buy local. OTOH, this is the guy who is going to do my 4-wheel align and I want to start building a relationship with him, so I don't mind it (too much).

Having the Vette down is killing me! Hopefully Wednesday it'll be back on the road.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Gannet

Name :

Scratch the above. I ended up being poorly treated by Tire Kingdom (imo) and cancelled the order. I went with Tire Rack instead. I'm going to use http://PitCrewTire.com for the install. I'll report back on how that goes.
Unread 01-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet
Scratch the above. I ended up being poorly treated by Tire Kingdom (imo) and cancelled the order. I went with Tire Rack instead. I'm going to use http://PitCrewTire.com for the install. I'll report back on how that goes.
Well now I've got to ask. How would you define "poorly treated"?
Unread 01-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
Gannet

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well now I've got to ask. How would you define "poorly treated"?
It's a long story (maybe a whine, I dunno), and it's not sufficiently bad to warrant going over in public. They aren't terrible people, and I wasn't "ripped off" other than wasting my time. I'll just say that I don't take well to non-performance on what was previously agreed. I don't tell you my problems, and I don't want to hear about yours. I will do my darndest to do what I say I'm going to do, even if it maybe costs me extra, because a deal's a deal. Few businesses have that attitude. They want to promise the world to get your business and then say "oops, sorry" if something goes wrong. Well, not with me. Not on my dime, or time. Life's too short for BS.

This whole deal may cause me to miss the Garlits run. If that happens, I will really be pissed.
Unread 01-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #15
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I understand. I also don't believe I have to put up with being slighted and lied to from people I intend to spend money with. In that respect, I have certainly been known to cut off my nose just to spite my face. Sometimes you do just have to stand on the principle of the thing.
Unread 01-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #16
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

If a biss flubbs me over thats it, i dont go back!
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #17
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Man, I'm sorry this is turning out to be such an ordeal for you. If you weren't on the other side of the state, I'd hook you up with the guy who took care of me at Big 10. Good folks. Hope the rest of the saga goes well.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #18
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile
Welp, it's time for new tires. Prices from TR for new GYSC's + shipping is over $1300.. Does anyone know of a way to get TR to discount the tires further?.........Tom
Beg and plea!!!!!!!!

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #19
Bountyhuntrss

Name :
Bountyhuntrss is on a distinguished road

Well I keep reading and waiting for one of you to find the magic place to get tires so that I can get them too. They look pretty worn to me, but I'm not quite even with the wear bar yet, so I guess I'm okay for now. It's not easy to find the tires I need....when I look online most places are missing the Z...I guess that means they are Z rated tires (the run no flat type). I have a tire warranty and must replace exactly what's on there now...they are P245/45ZR17 on front and P275/40ZR18 on back. Please let me know when you guys find something.
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:49 AM   #20
Gannet

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyhuntrss
Well I keep reading and waiting for one of you to find the magic place to get tires so that I can get them too. They look pretty worn to me, but I'm not quite even with the wear bar yet, so I guess I'm okay for now. It's not easy to find the tires I need....when I look online most places are missing the Z...I guess that means they are Z rated tires (the run no flat type). I have a tire warranty and must replace exactly what's on there now...they are P245/45ZR17 on front and P275/40ZR18 on back. Please let me know when you guys find something.
Finding the tires is easy. Finding an installer you can trust can be tougher.

Go to http://TireRack.com. Search by size to see the different makers of your size. That will show you what is available. Be sure to choose a brand and model that is available in both your front and rear sizes.

Then click on 'Installation" at the top of the page. Put in your zipcode, or one near you, and they will show you a list of installers. All these installers have agreed to accept tire shipments, and to install them at quoted prices. Find one near you that you think you can work with (time to ask the Vette club). When you order the tires you can specify an installer right then and it will automatically set them as the "ship to" address. Then you just make an appointment with the installer.

Tire Rack doesn't charge sales tax in Florida. The shipping for my 4 tires was $56, and is only supposed to take one day from their warehouse in Georgia. The tires themselves were about $170 cheaper than the best local price I could find. I haven't tried the particular installer I'm using yet, but he specializes in exotics and sports cars and comes highly recommended, so I think that will probably go OK.

Anyway, there ya go, at least one source. Good luck!

Oh, wait, sorry, I just re-read where you said you have a tire warranty. In tht case, yo uhave to go where your warranty will be honored. Sorry, can't help you there. I don't do warranties, for exactly this sort of reason.