The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation
Default Possible Camaro purchase- need feedback

My wife is thinking about getting a Camaro once we give our DD to our son. Not sure if we'll go the new-car route or get (certified) used from a GM dealer- yeah, we'll pay more, but I like the warranty cushion. But I've had decent luck buying privately so that's in the equation, also.

What are the experiences and/or stories, good and bad, regarding the 2010, and 2011, and (slight maybe) 2012 model years? With the exception of my recent '03 purchase, I've been out of the car buying world since '02. This is my first attempt at looking into the Camaro.

Don't know why, but she won't go for another Vette. I tried.

Thanks a lot.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
mickeystoysz16
I have stripes

Name :
mickeystoysz16 is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about the new ones but if you ever decide to buy a first gen 67-69 they are full of fraud. 1 in 10 on ebay are undisclosed clones with fake tags and restamped vins. The 69 that I have was checked by a local expert and then double checked by a nationally known expert.

I think if you want a Camaro you are better off buying a new one than a classic one. That way you know exactly what you are getting espically if you want a driver.
2004 Z06 Corvette Z16 Commemorative Edition #770
2004 Silverado LS 5.3L SWB
1969 Camaro SS RS 396/350HP TH400

Members I have met:
LEJ_ZO6, JCB_NJB, als2052, Phil @ Tampa Tuning, Riceman, C5CHICK, Kap142
mickeystoysz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Cor66Vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoysz16 View Post
I don't know much about the new ones but if you ever decide to buy a first gen 67-69 they are full of fraud. 1 in 10 on ebay are undisclosed clones with fake tags and restamped vins. The 69 that I have was checked by a local expert and then double checked by a nationally known expert.

I think if you want a Camaro you are better off buying a new one than a classic one. That way you know exactly what you are getting espically if you want a driver.
Thanks. She has a 2010 thru 2013 in mind. I'm all the "Classic" she needs.
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I have heard nothing negative about the new Camaro's. In fact, if it were me, I'd buy the new ZL/1. 580 hp for $55K is a bargain to me. My wife wants a new CTS V, the supercharged 556 hp six speed automatic that sells for $69K. I think the bang for the buck goes to the Camaro!
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Looked at several not too long ago at a local dealership and was just not impressed with the quality of the interior. All plastic (as is everthing now) and all the same.
Unread 11-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Cor66Vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I have heard nothing negative about the new Camaro's. In fact, if it were me, I'd buy the new ZL/1. 580 hp for $55K is a bargain to me. My wife wants a new CTS V, the supercharged 556 hp six speed automatic that sells for $69K. I think the bang for the buck goes to the Camaro!
The CTS V is one of my wife's choices. She says it has better visibility and a nicer interior than the Camaro or some others she's test driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Looked at several not too long ago at a local dealership and was just not impressed with the quality of the interior. All plastic (as is everthing now) and all the same.
Agreed.

Thanks for the input, guys. Have a great Thanksgiving.
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

I would shy away from it. I test drove a 2011 before I bought a 2011 Shelby. 2SS/6M and it felt slow, and turned like a boat. The dealer gave me free reign in the back lot...and it was so bad my wife even said no.

Not to shy away from GM products, but I would pick a new 5.0 Mustang any day of the week before thinking of a newer Camaro.
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Cor66Vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
I would shy away from it. I test drove a 2011 before I bought a 2011 Shelby. 2SS/6M and it felt slow, and turned like a boat. The dealer gave me free reign in the back lot...and it was so bad my wife even said no.

Not to shy away from GM products, but I would pick a new 5.0 Mustang any day of the week before thinking of a newer Camaro.
Thanks for the feedback. I keep hearing a lot about blind spots with the new Camaros. Any issues with blind spots and the Mustang?
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

I saw a video of a test between a ZL1 Camaro and a Shelby GT500. Probably a bit different than what you're looking for but they brought up some good points. The Shelby was the quicker of the 2 cars, maybe due to the weight difference, but the Camaros brakes were far superior. They also said there was an issue with visibility in the Camaro. In the Mustang, it felt as if you were sitting up higher and so the visibility was better than the Camaro. They did mention that the Mustangs ride was harsher. That may be due to the GT500 package but it did make it a bit more squirrely on the track.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Very good article from Motortrend, copy and paste if the link doesn't work.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...2_chevrolet...

In a nutshell they took the cars to Laguna Seca and found that the Mustang beat the ZL-1 by a half of a second on it's fastest lap. The Mustang packs 85 more ponies than the ZL-1 and beats it on the straight aways, but the ZL-1 beat the Mustang in the corners and pulled higher g's. Also had better brakes. They said the Mustang was done after the run and could not repeat it's performance due to the brakes overheating.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs. 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 - Motortrend

Last edited by 85vette; 11-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote