The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
sigarms

Name :
sigarms has disabled reputation
Default What would you do ?

Today going down McMullen/Booth Blvd. on the way to Tampa a young kid stayed within one car length behind me all the time and then stopping @ 6 or 7 stop lights he would be so close I could not see his bumper or the front of his hood. Not wanting to make any sudden stops or moves and keep him from accidently bumping me .. Under Rich Z's Legal Issues #316.191 I did a "exhibition of speed or accerlation".
I put the pedal to the metal but I've never had the car at those RPM's before and
I did know what was going to happen

The next stop light came up rather quickly and I never saw the kid again.

Anyways what do you guys do or what do you recommend in these situations?
sigarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
EatRice

Name :
EatRice has disabled reputation

Well if there are no cops to be seen I do the same thing. As for the RPMs...if it did not hit the rev limiter then all is good. The car is built to turn those RPMs...you should run it up occassionally. It is a Corvette after all.
Unread 06-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRice
Well if there are no cops to be seen I do the same thing. As for the RPMs...if it did not hit the rev limiter then all is good. The car is built to turn those RPMs...you should run it up occassionally. It is a Corvette after all.
Agreed,but only if the way is clean and the road is clear ahead. Today with the low profiles, unmarked and undercover cars, you never really know if you're alone out there.

Instead I usuallly:

A) just move over and let the turdball take point

B) I just stay nice and slow and eventually, they go around.

I usually opt for plan "A."
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Would be nice to have some sort of afterburner for the tailpipes. Then you could just melt the guy's front grill.....
Unread 06-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Hot Pursuit

Name :
Hot Pursuit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Agreed,but only if the way is clean and the road is clear ahead. Today with the low profiles, unmarked and undercover cars, you never really know if you're alone out there.

Instead I usuallly:

A) just move over and let the turdball take point

B) I just stay nice and slow and eventually, they go around.

I usually opt for plan "A."

Yea your taking a chance goosing the gas pedal. In reality the ratio of police to speeders is very low, but why chance it? A professional opinion would be to opt for Shadows choices above. "A" is better if your not in a hurry, because "B" could give a knucklehead a "reason" in his own mind to road rage and add to his agression. I've worked hit and runs recently where some bonehead sped up to pass a slower moving car after riding their bumper, but he changed back too soon and clipped the slower car. Then it results in a mini chase to get tag numbers and driver descriptions.
Hot Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
FourG63 97GST

Name :
FourG63 97GST is on a distinguished road

I usually put it neutral an let the car coast, they usually past me before it gets to 25mph, depending on the mood, i'll return the favor
Unread 06-06-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
I usually put it neutral an let the car coast, they usually past me before it gets to 25mph, depending on the mood, i'll return the favor
Just watch out for the clown who might slam on the brakes. If it's some garbage scow on wheels, he could care less about the damage and may have YOU getting the ticket for the accident. Hitting someone in the rear is tough calling the other guy out for being at fault.
Unread 06-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Just watch out for the clown who might slam on the brakes. If it's some garbage scow on wheels, he could care less about the damage and may have YOU getting the ticket for the accident. Hitting someone in the rear is tough calling the other guy out for being at fault.
Yea, no kidding. Without a real stand up witness to stop for you and testify that the scumbag hit the brakes for no reason, you will eat the ticket for following too closely.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
I actually didn't know, until reading all these statutes, that it is illegal to put the car in neutral and coast. And I suppose at some point you are going below the minimum speed limit. I know it's 40mph on the highway, is there actually a minimum for a 45mph road like McMullen Booth Rd?

I usually just move over and let 'em pass. I've finally lost the ego problem I once had where I felt it necessary to blow their doors off.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADN3SS
I actually didn't know, until reading all these statutes, that it is illegal to put the car in neutral and coast. And I suppose at some point you are going below the minimum speed limit. I know it's 40mph on the highway, is there actually a minimum for a 45mph road like McMullen Booth Rd?

I usually just move over and let 'em pass. I've finally lost the ego problem I once had where I felt it necessary to blow their doors off.
That's the key I have nothing to prove to anyone.

If he wants to take point and absorb all the LASER/RADAR flak, by all means, be my guest

As far as minimum speed limits on local roads, there's the obstruction of traffic statute that would apply, but no minimum unless posted.

Otherwise we'd have a field day with the blue hairs and tourist
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote