The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 06-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Gregg Tool

Name :
Gregg Tool is on a distinguished road
Default Run Flats

What is the proper tire inflation for the run flats? I have been maintaining 34 PSI but I noticed that the last time I got service they reduced the pressure to 29 PS. I have a 2006 with the GY Eagle F1 tires.
Gregg Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Owner's manual calls for 30 PSI

als2052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Do the non-runflats have a different optimum inflation pressure? I've got the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. I've looked on TireRacks's website but they only show a MAX inflation pressure (51 lbs). Michelin's website isn't any help either.
Unread 06-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Like I posted before OM calls for 30 PSI. Individual driving preferences may allow 1-2 PSI +/-. Just monitor wear on your tires and use pressure that best fits you.
als2052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052
Like I posted before OM calls for 30 PSI. Individual driving preferences may allow 1-2 PSI +/-. Just monitor wear on your tires and use pressure that best fits you.
I thought the OEM tires on the Z06 were NOT runflats? So does the owner's manual say that runflats or not, the tire pressure should be 30 psi?

Heck from what I understand, there are a lot of variables in tire pressure. Not the least of which are the width of the tire compared to the width of the wheel, the weight of the vehicle they go on, and the actual construction of the tire itself. So once you go to an aftermarket tire, then the owner's manual probably is just a starting point, and not the bible.

And yes the recommendation to monitor tread wear is certainly a good one to take. However, unless you do it religiously, all it may tell you is that you need to change the pressure in your NEXT set of tires....
Unread 06-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
stevecris
R&S C5

Name :
stevecris has disabled reputation

I have been chasing this one for a while now. I bought my C5 about 2 months ago and know I got a great car. The good news (and bad) is that the previous owner changed all 4 tires the day before I went down to have a look. Since the car had only 13K miles on it, I was a little concerned. I read on some other forums I have found that there have been a number of runflats that got only 13K, but I think they all had alignment problems. Looking through about 100 different posting on this, I can tell you the consensus on the tire pressure is to go with the 30 psi (cold). This could mean 33 to 34 on a hot day and a long drive. But you have to have the pressures match for the type of driving you do the most.

This past weekend I spoke to a corvette mechanic out of Gainesville that has some experience with the race team. He has been working with corvettes for more than 20 years. He validates the 30 psi cold and says you shouldn't run too long at more than 34 - and make sure the alignment is good (set to factory specs). He told me the run flats should last 50K if these things are taken card of and car is driven conservatively.

2k miles for me right now and counting.
stevecris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

30psi cold here. At about 25K miles I got rid of the noisy Goodyears and put on the Firestone Firehawk runflats. Much less road noise but still there. I couldn't believe how noisy runflats are. 12 years with my '92 and all I heard were the Flowmasters. Now I hear tire noise even over the magnaflows. Maybe I need a louder exhaust system??
Unread 06-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
Rich Z

Louder exhaust and some aftermarket speakers for the CD player ought to do it.........
Unread 06-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
Billjax
02 Quicksilver Coupe

Name :
Billjax has disabled reputation

Interesting.

I've gone through two sets of GY EMT's and both lasted 22K with reasonably conservative driving (around curves...).

I ran the last set at 31 cold and saw 34/35 when warm. On the last set, what I thought were dirt splotches on the rears were the belts showing!! $1305 later...
I now have Michelin PS2 AS ZP and am running them at 27 cold which turms into 30 warm. Evil-Twin, who used to be on CF, was a big fan of running fairly low cold pressures, trying to keep the warm psi at 30. He claimed to get great mileage from his GY EMT.

I thought the EMT's felt crisper at 31 cold but they sure did bang over bumps. The PS2's are very different.
Billjax is offline   Reply With Quote