The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Contractor for metal building (garage) in Crawfordville area?

I've called a couple of people about getting a garage built, but so far not having any luck getting someone interested in doing business with me for this. I'm thinking of a four car garage and need a contractor to handle this. Either that or get someone to clear the land, then someone else to pour the slab, and figure out what permits are needed for this. Most metal building manufacturers offer free delivery and setup, so once that is done, then I would need an electrician for the electrical. Not sure which would be the best route, but I would like to get something started pretty soon.

Anyone local got any suggestions for someone for me to talk to about this?
Unread 06-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I've built 4-500 of the critters over the past 45 yrs .I'll send ya a pm.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Rich Z

I've had one general contractor stop out here, and been talking to Jeff Victorine at PSBI. Trying to get all the ducks lined up in a row about getting this garage built. Been catching rats in a live trap set out near the cars. The other night I caught one and some dog came onto the property and found the rat in that cage. Dumb ass dog dragged the cage all over the damned place and dug up the driveway trying to dig UNDER that cage to get to that rat. I don't see any damage to the vehicles, which is a miracle because he had that cage all over the place trying to get to that rat.

Man, living in the country...... Sounds good on paper....... But I'm about ready to slash and burn our entire 50 acres.
Unread 06-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

Here's a link to the answers I got for the same question on TallahasseeMusclecar:

http://www.tallahasseemusclecar.com/...ad.php?t=20807

I'm planning to build my own, just had a 30x48 slab poured at the new house. It will be a slow go, but its a start at least.
'70 LeMans Sport
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Rich Z

My target is no more than $50K. Looking at a four car garage measuring 50x30 ft, 10 ft. tall. Either four individual doors per bay or two larger doors.

Need to have the land cleared. Maybe a dozen larger pine trees on it. Slab poured with at least 12 ft apron in front of the doors. Electrical will be interior lights and receptacles, one or two motion sensor lights outside with at least one receptacle, and some sort of exhaust fan to draw the heat out during the hot months.

I sure hate to be spending the money I made on selling my gun collection for this. Really wanted to buy a new car, but I don't think I can swing what the dealers want with the money I have left over. Heck, this is much like getting underwear for a present at Christmas...... Yeah, I know I need a garage, but darn............

Caught another rat in a trap night before last. Ordered a few more traps to set out to try to catch as many of those suckers as I can.
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

$50k should be easy. I got a quote of $21k to do a 31x42 metal building (including a slab), but no electrical.
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

It sounds very doable. I would also suggest Hurricane reinforced garage doors. I thought they were very affordable and what a difference from the stock doors which are a POS.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Rich Z

Actually I've been gathering quotes on the individual steps to getting this garage built, and as best I can figure the general contractors I have contacted want to make $12,000 to $15,000 just to manage the project. I guess business is slow for them so they want to make several months living expenses all off of me.. I think I'll take a stab at managing it myself. $15K would go a LONG way towards either getting that new Z06 I want or else dropping a bullet proof Warhawk 427 into my C5Z.
Unread 07-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

The one I tried to send you is a 30x50 barn style, installed for $18.5. I know the slab and electric would be extra.
Unread 07-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Rich Z

I've been talking to a guy at SteelMax out of Georgia. I might be able to get what I am looking for at around $15K. Four roll-up doors, one walk-in door, insulated and rainspouts, everything delivered to my site for that price. He's trying to locate an erection crew for me so I can see what they will cost. Probably from $5K to $7K. I think it may be possible to keep the total cost down to around $35K to $40K without cutting any corners.