The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 09-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation
Default Ethanol Free Gas

There is a local Mobil selling E free gas 89 octane. What are your thoughts on the adequacy of the 89 octane rating? Also, I've been using "Sta-bil" on a regular basis. What are the thoughts about which is better; straight E free gas or adding the stabilizer treatment to the 10% E high test gas?
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
goldhunter_2

Name :
goldhunter_2 has disabled reputation

I have been or was having E gas issue in every thing form the Porsches to the boat. I tried a couple of additives and wasn't happy. I know its more expensive but if I will be leaving anything sit (not daily driver) I have been putting aircraft 100L fuel in so so I do not have issues.......... just another option to think about.

depend on your engine compression , the lower compression should run on the lower octane fuel your asking about but a higher compression engine mite get some knocking or dieseling
goldhunter_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Cor66Vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhunter_2 View Post
I have been or was having E gas issue in every thing form the Porsches to the boat. I tried a couple of additives and wasn't happy. I know its more expensive but if I will be leaving anything sit (not daily driver) I have been putting aircraft 100L fuel in so so I do not have issues.......... just another option to think about.

depend on your engine compression , the lower compression should run on the lower octane fuel your asking about but a higher compression engine mite get some knocking or dieseling
After the non sense I went through because the car sat around, I will no longer be an absentee vette owner, or I should say, driver. I plan on enjoying it on a regular basis, so the storage aspect isn't my main concern. Yes, I had to change out the gas tank and a lot of associated parts, but I also had to change out brake calipers and brake lines because the thing was just sitting there looking pretty. I am concerned about the adequacy of the 89 octane, E-free notwithstanding! I am not sure of the engine's compression (it has cam work) so I'll have to do the ol' trial and error with the gas.
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

I recall reading an internet article a few weeks ago when I was looking for a local source on non-e fuel. The article said that retailers do not have to state if or how much ethanol their fuel contains and it further stated that it is highly questionable that any FL fuel can be eth free due to the way fuel (in bulk) is pushed through the pipe lines to terminals for distribution.

Eth is crap. I sure wish those up there would get a clue.
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

It doesn't make sense to convert FOOD items to gasoline additives. So the obvious reason is that some BIG money changed hands somewhere to make this happen. Otherwise, what's the point? It's certainly not benefitting the consumers any.
Unread 10-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Kap142

Name :

Rich you are so totally right. It will be interesting whats being burned and what's being said about eth in about 15 years. Hydrogen technology maybe?
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Cor66Vette

Name :

I heard this and thought I would throw it out here ...

1 gallon of a Sunoco "racing fuel" mixed with 5 gallons E-free 89 octane results in 6 gallons E-free 103 octane?

Anybody know if this is true?
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Rich Z

I've been meaning to try that Sunoco racing fuel, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much and then be hooked on the SINGLE source that I know of ANYWHERE.

Does anyone remember this issue of ethanol ever being debated in Congress with any input solicited from the constituents (us)?
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Kap142

Name :

"Does anyone remember this issue of ethanol ever being debated in Congress with any input solicited from the constituents (us)"?

You a funny, funny man Rich. Like Congress would want to hear what we have to say.
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Rich Z

Well, I needed to fill up the gas tank on the C5Z today, so I drove up to the Sunoco on south Monroe that has ethanol free 93 octane gas. They also have some 112 octane race fuel, but it's right pricey. The 93 octane stuff was $4.25 per gallon.

Anyway, I feel like I am doing my part to help the hungry of the world by not using fuel with additives coming from food items.......

But I'm sure I won't be able to find ethanol free gasoline everywhere I drive, unfortunately.

So far the only difference I could detect was that my engine wasn't surging going down my road at 8 mph like it normally did.

Tags
the mobil is new