The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Firearms and Other Weapons

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Firearms and Other Weapons Had a request for this forum, so here it is. Guess it will give me some place to talk about guns myself after selling my ArmsLocker forum.

Unread 01-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough
Question Open Carry

I was told that there is a movement to allow open carry in the State of Florida.

It won't change me from concealed.

Bad guy walks into a room and sees an open carry, guess who gets popped first. I think I will always be concealed.

Steve

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I think the law is more because some people accidentally had a gun exposed and got arrested for open carry. At least that's what I heard. Just doesn't make sense that carrying a gun concealed is OK (with a permit) yet that same person could be arrested if the gun becomes exposed.

Of course, I'll bet the anti-gunners are popping blood veins in their heads over this one as well. Claiming that Florida will become the WILD WEST or something because people will go berserk if they can carry a gun openly on their hip.
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

I agree.... my friend that owns the gun shop was remodeling the shop. He was at home depot getting some electrical parts and when he reached for an item that was up high, his concealed weapon was exposed briefly.
Within 5 minutes he was face to face with 2 officers. The only thing that saved him was that he was buying for the gun store and while performing business related to the gun store he can open carry or something like that. It also helped that he knew the statutes.

So yes, I can see where open carry would stop the accidental exposure from becoming a crime. Good point!!!!

So, now I have to ask myself if I should continue to practice my quick-draw moves

Steve

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
brad

Name :
brad has disabled reputation

wasnt there a loop hole about 20 years ago that had people walking around carrying in plain sight?I remember it was closed real fast
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
...Of course, I'll bet the anti-gunners are popping blood veins in their heads over this one as well. Claiming that Florida will become the WILD WEST or something because people will go berserk if they can carry a gun openly on their hip.
You're absolutely correct Rich.
They made the same claim in Kennesaw, Ga., and about every other state that supported open or right to carry laws.

In each case, the opposite became fact

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

More on Open Carry in Florida.

Actually it appears that you can open carry in Florida in a limited context:

Quote:
Summary
Florida is not a traditional open carry state.
Open Carry is lawful while engaged in, or going directly to and from, lawful Target Shooting, Hunting, Fishing, and Camping expeditions. FL Statutes XLVI 790.25(3)(h), (j), and (k)
Quote:
(3)LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;
Quote:
790.053 Open carrying of weapons.

(1)Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.

(2)A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:

(a)A self-defense chemical spray.

(b)A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

(3)Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

History.—s. 1, ch. 87-537; s. 173, ch. 91-224; s. 3, ch. 97-72; s. 1205, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2006-298.
Of course, there are exceptions and therefores, and otherwises in here that might contrdict one section or another..