The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default Allignment issues............

Was tinkering a month ago or so and found that the pivot arm from the clutch was up and out of the bracket on the extreme L side. I pulled it back down into the bracket and tightened down the bolt but in the process it seems to have changed the front end allinment. Wheel now sits just a bit cock-eyed and the car pulls slightly to the right while in normal driving.

What ya'll think?

Again my bad, 72 C-3 454 w/ PS, PB, 4 speed and such
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Alignment and clutch are two seperate systems, and I'm purdy sure that working on one will not mess up the other. If the alignment is off, I would be willing to bet that it's because of something other than working on the clutch. This might sound a little lame, but have you checked the pressure in all 4 tires? You might have one that's low and causing the pull. You didn't have to loosen any of the bolts that hold the upper or lower A-Arms on to work on the clutch linkage did you? If you did, turn your computer off right now and head for the alignment shop......
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Kap142

Name :

Thanks Andy. You are very much right, they are 2 seperate systems which is why it's confussed me. I'll dbl check the air pressure to be sure but I think something has loosened up and allowed things to work their way out of allignment.

Had Goldie alligned maybe 6 mths ago and not very many miles (nor rough roads) have have been put on the car.

I think we'll do as you suggest and take her in to be re-allined, again.
Unread 12-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Where did you go for your alignment? Make sure they check the front end components for wear and don't just do the alignment. It seems common now to either say you have to replace $500 in front suspension parts when you just take it in for an alignment, or the shop just does the alignment without checking so you'll have to bring it back again sooner than later.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Kap142

Name :

I had it done at a Goodyear over in Winter Haven and they allowed me to be all under and over the whole checking for worn parts and alignment. The dude that did it was very sharp.. Just found the invoice. was 2/08 and has since had about 2K miles put on her.

Oh and it goes without saying that that store has closed and it's people scattered to the wind..

The alignment was all the computerized thing.

Not a real biggie. I'll just get it done again.
Unread 12-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Ken,

The clutch rod that you were talking about has no connection to the front suspension or steering. Before you go to the alignment shop, I would also double check all the bushings in the front suspension, upper control arms, lower control arms, etc. Have you ever replaced these since you have owned your C3? If not, they maybe the original rubber bushings, and if that's the case, I bet they are shot. No sense spending money on an alignment if the bushings are bad and it won't hold the alignment settings.

Let us know how you make out.

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Kap142

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
Ken,

The clutch rod that you were talking about has no connection to the front suspension or steering. Before you go to the alignment shop, I would also double check all the bushings in the front suspension, upper control arms, lower control arms, etc. Have you ever replaced these since you have owned your C3? If not, they maybe the original rubber bushings, and if that's the case, I bet they are shot. No sense spending money on an alignment if the bushings are bad and it won't hold the alignment settings.

Let us know how you make out.

Rich
Good solid logic. If one bushing has disengrated it would indeed cause most of the problem wouldn't it? Last inspection (a while ago.....). It looked to me to be the original bushings and they were in "fair" shape then. I need to get it to a decent front end shop for an inspection.

Thanks Rich
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Good solid logic. If one bushing has disengrated it would indeed cause most of the problem wouldn't it? Last inspection (a while ago.....). It looked to me to be the original bushings and they were in "fair" shape then. I need to get it to a decent front end shop for an inspection.

Thanks Rich
I know it's a haul, but if you can. I'd call Mike at "Thee Corvette Shop" in Tampa (Dale Maby & Gray I believe, just south of the Interstate).

They have a full crash rebuild facility and specialize in the remake of totalled corvettes.

I'd give you odds that he'd be able to do the alighment the right way for you

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Ken, another possibility might be that when you had the alignment done the last time 1 or more of the bolts were either not tightened completely or left completely loose. Are there any "clunking" or "creaking" noises coming from the front end? Any noises at all? If you take a sharp turn, do you hear any noises when the wheels come back to the center position? I think if it was me, I would take it to a front end shop, tell them that it was aligned 3000 miles ago, it's starting to pull to one side, and ask them to find out what's making it do that before they "just do another alignment". If it went out in 3K, it'll darn sure do it again if the root cause isn't found and fixed. Might even be that one or both of the coil springs are starting to sag. Hell, when I was 40, I started to sag too! Just my 2 cents worth.....
Andy (Snow's gone but the cold's still here. Smile if you're livin' warm)
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/

Last edited by navy2kcoupe; 12-11-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: bad typing skills......
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Kap142

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Ken, another possibility might be that when you had the alignment done the last time 1 or more of the bolts were either not tightened completely or left completely loose. Are there any "clunking" or "creaking" noises coming from the front end? Any noises at all? If you take a sharp turn, do you hear any noises when the wheels come back to the center position? I think if it was me, I would take it to a front end shop, tell them that it was aligned 3000 miles ago, it's starting to pull to one side, and ask them to find out what's making it do that before they "just do another alignment". If it went out in 3K, it'll darn sure do it again if the root cause isn't found and fixed. Might even be that one or both of the coil springs are starting to sag. Hell, when I was 40, I started to sag too! Just my 2 cents worth.....
Andy (Snow's gone but the cold's still here. Smile if you're livin' warm)
Last time I drove Goldie I even went so far as to turn off my Jimmy Buffett CD so I could listen real closely for odd sounds (other then the ones I normally make). Their is no unusual sounds as in a shot bushing or one that has disintigrated causing a metal to metal contact or loosness. I looked for slop in both fronts wheels with none found. I agree a front end shop is next for a diagnosis.

I'm just a bit past 40 myself and sag is the word of the day closely followed by droop.

Take care and be well