The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 01-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
tv_dir

Name :
tv_dir is on a distinguished road
Default A VERY good reason why you should NOT let your 17 year old drive the C6..ANYWHERE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is in response to many posts about 16, 17, and 18 year old kids driving a powerful car like the C6.

On Thursday, Dec. 21st at 8:00PM my wife was walking one of our two Golden Retrievers on a DEAD END STREEET. As she went to cross at the crosswalk with Smokey on his 6 foot leash, a Dodge Charger R/T (I believe that's 350 hp) came barreling down the road toward the dead end...where a lot of kids in fast cars come to do "donuts" The 16 year old driver blew past the stop sign at around 80mph. He not only did NOT brake...but while my wife was stopped dead in her tracks trying to figure out what this clown was doing...HE TURNED THE WHEEL RIGHT TOWARDS HER. She took a half a step backwards and the car slammed into Smokey head on killing him instantly and throwing his 75 pound body 50 yards away. The car then proceeded to hit a palm tree and flip over three times in the dead end...landing in a neighbors yard past the dead end in another sub division. My wife LITTERARLY came within inches of getting killed.

The kids (3 I believe) were not only fine.....but MANY witnesses say they were laughing about the incident. The driver was charged with "reckless driving" and went home to spend a happy Christmas with his family.

His parents were called. When they arrived at the scene, with my wife hysterical crying over the loss of one of our "kids" (we don't have human kids..we have always had Golden Retrievers).......The parents (who drove up in a brand new Jaguar) said "my kid couldn't have done that, he's a good kid. We are good parents."

Now we are left to deal with the grief, because a 16 year old, who (IMHO) should not be driving at all, was showing off for his girlfriend and another guy in the car. Or worse yet....AIMING for my dog. (you all know)...."5 points for the dog...ha ha ha "

Parents........your kids don't drive the same for you as they do when egged on by piers.

I hope this will save just one life...human or beloved pet.

--Mike--
Unread 01-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Sounds like 10 minutes out behind the woodshed with a baseball bat is in order for some attitude adustment on the kids AND those parents.
Unread 01-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Wow, how awful! I'm sorry you lost your dog. Your poor wife must have been beside herself to have been so close to being run over herself ! I can't even imagine how that feels. Man, you just never know when something like that is going to happen. So, reckless driving is all the kid gets, huh?
Unread 01-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

Mike,

I am very sorry for your loss. Our pets are as much a part of the family as our son is. We spend a lot of money on them and some people don't understand why we don't just put them to sleep. Can't do that we love them and they give us unconditional love.

It is hard to understand why parents are so blind to the way kids are when riding around with friends. We were kids too and I have to admit showing off my '70 Challenger R/T SE was not unusual. I guess we were just smart enough not to horse around where other people could get hurt.

My wife's and my thoughts are with you in this time of grief.

Steve & Judy

Charter Member #64

Last edited by SteveK; 01-01-2007 at 10:15 PM.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
silverback

Name :
silverback has disabled reputation

Man that is worst than sad, after some time to heal, I would be hauling the punks and their families into court. Let a judge " straighten " them out.
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
tv_dir

Name :
tv_dir is on a distinguished road

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the state of Florida (and many more I understand), dogs are chattel. Property just as our cars and furniture

I hope to file a lawsuit against the parents and their insurance company for "Intentional infliction of emotional distress". Florida does recognize this as legitimate grounds for a suit. A 16 year old is not old enough to be sued. However, It will be tough to get an attorney to pursue this kind of case.

The sad thing to me (besides the loss right before Christmas and dealing with my basket case wife), is that NO ONE from the kids family has tried to contact us or even leave a card in our mailbox expressing any kind of guilt or remorse, even though they proudly proclaimed what "good" parents they are. If this ever happened to me (God forbid) ...I would feel such overwhelming guilt, I would NEED to seek out the injured party and pour my heart out in apology. I'll keep you informed as the process goes forward.

Thank you all for thoughts and prayers.

--Mike--
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Having never had children I'm probably way off base here. When I hear about stuff like this it just boils my blood. I don't blame the kids, I blame their parents. Unless the kids just not right in the head to start with, behavior like that starts at home and gets worse because the parents do nothing. They apparently have no morals whatsoever and they're raising their son to be the same. Mike, I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope you and your wife come through this ordeal OK. My thoughts are with you both.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_dir

In the state of Florida (and many more I understand), dogs are chattel. Property just as our cars and furniture

I hope to file a lawsuit against the parents and their insurance company for "Intentional infliction of emotional distress". Florida does recognize this as legitimate grounds for a suit. A 16 year old is not old enough to be sued. However, It will be tough to get an attorney to pursue this kind of case.

The sad thing to me (besides the loss right before Christmas and dealing with my basket case wife), is that NO ONE from the kids family has tried to contact us or even leave a card in our mailbox expressing any kind of guilt or remorse, even though they proudly proclaimed what "good" parents they are. If this ever happened to me (God forbid) ...I would feel such overwhelming guilt, I would NEED to seek out the injured party and pour my heart out in apology. I'll keep you informed as the process goes forward.

Thank you all for thoughts and prayers.

--Mike--
Sue the parents. If parents of children misusing guns can be held liable, then certainly parents of children misusing an automobile can be held to the same standards. Even if you do a small claims court filing, that will get their attention....

Were there any other witnesses? Did the police report show that you dog had been killed and was only 6 feet away from your wife?

Seriously, in your shoes I would be in jail right now for manslaughter (kidslaughter?).
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I'd sue the owner of the car (parents) for not regulating juniors actions properly. I'd also sue the cars insurance company.

I may also find out where he lived and .......... well cant post that here,,,, just sue the s*** out of him.......
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your family dog.