The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Z06Fever!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Z06Fever! Well, why not? Having one of these toys is definitely an illness for which there is no cure, so let's talk about this specific malady.

Unread 06-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
BuilderBob

Name :
BuilderBob has disabled reputation
Default Towing motorcycle trailer w/Z

OK. For everyone who absolutely WOULD NOT consider putting a trailer hitch on his/her Z, this thread is not for you. Please go elsewhere.

For those sticking around, who among you has towed a motorcycle on a trailer with your Z? I'll be making a trip later this summer to do a motorcycle tour of the UP of Michigan. I'm meeting a buddy in Ohio where we will be leaving for MI on the bikes.

I really would rather drive the Z than the F-250 from FL to OH pulling the bike. BTW, the bike is a 2007 Yamaha FJR. I guess it's about 600 lbs. I'd get a very light single-bike trailer for the haul.

Any (constructive) thoughts?
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

I haven't done it, but it's been done. There are at least two commercially available hitches. The most common use is to tow a tire & tools trailer for guys that go to autocross and HPDEs, so they can drive on street tires and then change to race tires at the event. However, I have heard of folks towing a bike, for things like Deal's Gap or drag racing, and also towing Sea-Doos. The largest population of Vette trailer-towers is probably on the Autocross forum at CorvetteForum.

GM has no trailer rating for the C5, but there is one for the C6. Since they have basically the same chassis and driveline, I should think the C6 rating would also apply to the C5, as a practical matter. An aluminum trailer, and a single bike, should not be a problem. Be sure to get the tongue weight right; it's a much more important issue on an IRS than a straight axle.

Good luck, and don't let any naysayers deter you! Heck, there's a guy on CF who is a railroad enthusiast, and he tows a small gas-powered rail "speeder" around with it.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I have seen vettes towing everything from sea-doos to 4x6 box trailers. You wouldn't have a problem toting your bike with your Z.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
BuilderBob

Name :
BuilderBob has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet
Good luck, and don't let any naysayers deter you! Heck, there's a guy on CF who is a railroad enthusiast, and he tows a small gas-powered rail "speeder" around with it.
That's wild! I've never heard of that hobby. To each his own, but I don't think I would tow that thing with the Vette. The motorcycle, yes. It's reasonably light and aerodynamic so I don't think it would put much stress on the vette's drive train and rear suspension. Tongue weight will be negligible.
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote