The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 11-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #11
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

I would tend to agree on the clutch/flywheel. Still check the dampner bolt for proper torque!!!
RevXtreme 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Sort of Helping!!

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS SITE AND MAYBE START REMOVING CAUSES OF THE PROBLEM:
http://www.tracyvette.com/vibrationdiagnosis.html
GOOD LUCK!!
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #13
Cajunmech

Name :
Cajunmech has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM KILL
TAKE A LOOK AT THIS SITE AND MAYBE START REMOVING CAUSES OF THE PROBLEM:
http://www.tracyvette.com/vibrationdiagnosis.html
GOOD LUCK!!
That is a great site. Thanks, Jim.
Hey Jim do you know who this is you are talking to?
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #14
Cajunmech

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1
I would tend to agree on the clutch/flywheel. Still check the dampner bolt for proper torque!!!
I assume that you are speaking of the front lower pulley on the crankshaft?
Also, is there a possibility that it could be from pressurization of the crankcase from the supercharger via some hoses that are connected to the pcv valve. The reason I ask is that there are some symptoms of oil in the aftercoolers. Not much but a misting. Could there be a pressurization issue. Also the sound is like a shutter to the ear and the vibration is in the peddals and the shifter and the seat. Again I can do this with the car sitting still and in neutral or in gear.
What should the torque be?
Frustrated
Unread 11-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #15
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Can't remeber the specs off hand but I think 90-110lbs. Yes it is the lowest pully. I doubt it is in any way related to the supercharger, I expect clutch/flywheel at this point if the dampner is tight.
Unread 11-23-2006, 06:29 AM   #16
Cajunmech

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1
Can't remeber the specs off hand but I think 90-110lbs. Yes it is the lowest pully. I doubt it is in any way related to the supercharger, I expect clutch/flywheel at this point if the dampner is tight.
Well, I guess I'll get into the clutch / flywheel and check the assembly. Assuming that I find all fasteners at the proper torque, the next logical step would be to have the pressure plate and flywheel inspected. Where would I bring these devides to for such an inspection?

Thank You for your help and have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
Unread 11-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #17
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunmech
Well, I guess I'll get into the clutch / flywheel and check the assembly. Assuming that I find all fasteners at the proper torque, the next logical step would be to have the pressure plate and flywheel inspected. Where would I bring these devides to for such an inspection?

Thank You for your help and have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
We can take care of it for you.
Unread 12-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #18
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

this may sound off the wall, but i had a terrible vibration that was very similar to yours. clutch in or out. it would do it sitting still but was more pronounced under load. it would shake the whole car and come through the shifter. i replaced the b&b prt's with borla stingers and it went away instantly. the prts would cause a harmonic through the whoile car and would even cause the tail pipes to shake on only the right side. just one more thing the check out before pulling the trans and rear end. should you need to have the rear and trans pulled revextreme did a rear swap for me and it has been flawless. no issues with their work.
Unread 12-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #19
Cajunmech

Name :

Thanks to all that participated in the troubleshooting process. I took the car to Rev-Extreme and the techicians inspected the car. The diagnosis was that the crankshaft pulley was wobbling and that is what was causing the vibration. Well, I spent over 700.00 to replace the pulley and the vibration was the same. I am fully aware that this can be a very difficult diagnosis however after the repair, I went to the front desk and told them that the issue was still at hand and what should I do next. I am not here to bash this shop. Yet after spending this amount of money, and not bitching them out for missing the diagnosis, I began asking for more help. I remember standing at the front counter asking a group of technicians and principals for help and recieved no response. Just a couple of guys shaking their heads saying much of nothing.

This is a horrible place to be when you need help and are desperate for it. I felt abandonded in my search for this help. Not one time was I asked if I was satisfied.

Being fully disgusted concerning this issue, I was at Advanced Performance Tires and Rims in Drew Park and began to ask if anyone could tell me what was going on? I was refered to Greg @ Anti-Venom. I called him and stated my case. Upon his inspection of my car the next day, he immediately told me that there was no way the pulley was the source of the vibration. He said the vibration was not being generated from the front of the motor but from the rear.

His diagnosis was that it was certainly being generated from the clutch region. The clutch was inspected and found to be a new ZO6 clutch with a Fidenza aluminum flywheel. What had happened is the prevoius owner either replaced the cluth himself or had this done, and standard thread bolts were used to secure the pressure plate to the flywheel. Metric threads are the required fastner. Subequently, all of the bolts had lossened and one had sheared off completely. The clutch was in great shape but the flywheel must be replaced.

I wish to thank Greg @ Anti-Venom for properly diagnosing this issue and spending the quality customer care time with me to solve this problem.

The moral here is buyer beware. Ask more questions and get several diagnostic opinions before wasting money.

P.S. I picked up the old pulley and took it to a machine shop to test the truness of the rotation and behold, it was within the tolerence of the manufacturer. Just be careful where you spend your money. This thread is meant to be a service to all Corvette owners and nothing more.
Unread 12-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #20
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the follow-up. Good information! Greg @ Anti-Venom seems to be "The Man". Good review .............. Tom