The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 04-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road
Default I knew this was coming!!

info on GM'S crackdown on aftermarket tunes...

the following is the p.i for calibration confirmation from GM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4386: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations - 2.0 2.2 2.4 2.8 2.9 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.8 3.9 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.6 4.8 5.0 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 7.0 7.4 8.1 - (Apr 8, 2008)

Subject: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations

Models: 2005-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

except Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Aveo, and All Saab Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may have the need to verify engine calibrations. If a dealer feels an aftermarket power-up calibration has induced engine and/or drive train damage, there is now a way to verify what calibration is currently in the vehicle.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case, or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than those that these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and / or other driveline components where a non GM engine calibration has been verified, are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Instructions for confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)
• Go to TIS2WEB

• Select Calibration Information (SPS Info)

• Enter VIN

• Select "Get Cal ID"

• Select ECM Engine Control Module

• Hit "next"

• Select "Complete History"

• Print

Take Printout to Vehicle along with Tech II
• Plug in Tech II

• Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

• Select Powertrain

• Select the engine

• Select F0 - Engine Control Module

• Select F4/F5 - I/M information System / Module ID information*

• Select F1

• Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* This step may vary by controller; use the Module ID Information in the Engine Controls.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued.

If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY calibration verification numbers (CVN's) do not match the printout, it is likely that a non GM certified calibration has been installed.

In order to document the case - a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the TECH 2 screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture and a PDF copy of the TIS2WEB printout should be forwarded to jay.dankovich@GM.com for verification along with the VIN and the reason the vehicle is currently in for service. Please copy your GM Area Service Manager (DVM/DSM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 48 hours.

If both the Part numbers and the CVN are different, photograph the part numbers and CVN's on the tech 2 screen as described above, assuring the VIN shows clearly in the photograph of the TECH2 screen, and check to see if the vehicle has the latest released calibration. If the latest released calibration is not installed in the vehicle, the part numbers will not match , and the CVN's won't either. E- mail the original Part Numbers and CVN's found in the vehicle on the TECH 2 to: jay.dankovich@GM.com to check if the calibration and CVN matches a previous release. Recalibrate with the latest released cal and re-check against the part numbers and CVN's that are released.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I really think I know what your sayin' Junk but as ya know my clock runs backwards Does this mean ???? Come on give it to me straight up in one line,I can handle it.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

GM has found another way to put the screws to us again...When will it ever end...
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
KBlanke

Name : Kenny Blankenship
KBlanke is on a distinguished road

Why are they putting the screws to us? If you build something and sell with a warranty, then someone that may or may know what they are doing makes changes to its brain, are you going to be OK with? I think that we have to be willing to pay the price for the things that we do or change. When I go to Road Atlanta next month, I know that if I break something in my car or worse, it's coming out of my pocket.
KBlanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Yeah but when a car cost roughly 50-60k new, and its supposed to be the flagship car of the car manufacturer, it should be able to stand a good amount of extra power with a professional tuner, not some carport grease monkey(i know some tuners do stuff out of their house but your not bunched with this group lol) with a ecu flasher.

I mean hell, my car has 22k miles on it for a 07C6 thats never seen the track and maybe less then 10 off the line pulls(4 were from testing the new kdw's and t/c off). Yet with my car on the dyno yesterday running pig rich, full supporting mods, #7 piston took a crap. Seems to be a common problem to according to numerous threads ive read.

Itll probably come down to the point where a tuner, will maybe reflash the car back to stock enough times, a aftermarket tune wont show up.
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I think we need to look at this from GM's perspective.

How will they know the tune was done by a professional and not by someone doing a "hmm, I wonder what will happen if I change THIS value?" Yes, the tuning programs WILL allow you to destroy your motor. Just as the steering wheel will allow you to run into a telephone pole. In which case, you certainly would not expect GM to pay for those damages incurred.

It is not at all difficult to break your motor if you make mistakes in judgment fueled by inexperience in tuning your motor. Why should GM pay for that *OOPS* that someone else did?

That being said, no, GM cannot just blanket void the entire warranty just because a custom tune was done on your car. The ONLY thing they can legally disclaim is damage DIRECTLY caused as a result of that tune. But of course, PROVING your case in court would likely cost you much more than just digging into your own pocket to pay for the repairs.
Unread 04-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Making too much of it on one hand and on the other.

If you have your work done professionally, then the tuner/shop might want to stand behind thier work.

There's always a possibility that something may go wrong in the process. Be prepared to deal with it or dont' do it.

On the flip side, I've seen dealerships try everything in the world to get out of correcting a problem that is thiers to begin with.

The duty I believe, will ultimately fall on the dealership to prove that the tune caused or contributed to the failure.

Maybe one could copy thier codes, then convert them back before taking it to the dealer? IDK, I don't know enough about tuning to say?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

old news...

FWIW flashing back to stock will NOT help you...

if ya wanna play ya gotta be willing to pay...

if you want a warranty don't mod your car.

I have alot more info on this if you want it PM me...
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
fletcher4u

Name : Bob Fletcher
fletcher4u has disabled reputation

G.M. is also held to E.P.A. emission standards. that should tell you were the real problem is.
fletcher4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
old news...

FWIW flashing back to stock will NOT help you...

if ya wanna play ya gotta be willing to pay...

if you want a warranty don't mod your car.

I have alot more info on this if you want it PM me...
If there's more info on the matter would you mind post it up?

That way, everyone gets a chance to peruse and you're getting hit with redundant pms. It's a win-win for everyone

Also, modding the car alone will not necessarily void a warranty. It depends on the modification, the vehicle or part failure and the ability to encase one withon the other
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote