The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #31
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

There's always the chance, however slim, that the officer won't appear. then you walk.
Is the officer required to be there and if so is he reimbursed for his time?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #32
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, that's ALL 9T8Vette would have needed to do to make matters worse. Searching around for the cell phone while being stressed out by a tailgater and trying to punch in a number while accelerating, and then get wrapped around a telephone pole.
Why does everything need to end in disaster?

Quote:
Personally, I believe that cell phone use while driving is just damned foolish. People need to give their UNDIVIDED attention to driving. Didn't we have enough automobile accidents BEFORE cell phones got thrown into the equation? There is already too much going on around them that they need to pay attention to without the further distraction of a phone conversation. Yeah, have a cell phone for emergencies, but pull off of the road to use it.
Ok, lets try this again.
If you place your phone on a dash/console holder, utilize a bluetooth device or speakerphone, use voice activation and select 1 number dialing for 911, there's no SEARCHING for the phone or dialing for the number.

FWIW, my entire bluetooth earpiece, dash mount holder, cost me a grand total of approximately $175.00, the bulk of which was spent on a high end Motorola earpiece.

I pieced the dash mount together from two separate packages.
A weighted dash GPS mount base that can be easily transferred from vehicle to vehicle, boat or??? and a window/dash suction mount types designed for my phone.
I don't like window mounts as they have a tendency to obstruct vision, and the suction dash mount wont work on my type of dash (too grainey).

If I'd just used the dash/window mount, it'd been about $40.00 less.

Everything is voice activated, the phone is "line of sight" with the road, and I rarely have to remove my hands from the wheel

I can check my email at redlights, respond via voice command, and when it's time to roll, focus on the business at hand (driving) and essentially never take my eyes off the road.

Why do you think that the states that have outlawed cell phones while driving, have authorized thier use with hands free devices? (aside from the political pressure put upon them by the cell phone companies that is).

As for "distractions" that arguement is as old as the ALPS and as full of holes as Swiss cheese

There's no more distraction to talking with an earpiece or speaker phone system, than there is having a passenger/kids in the car

It could reasonably be concluded that there's probably more with a passenger since in many cases, there's more interaction and a better likelyhood that you're going to at times look at your passenger when speaking or being spoken to.
I don't have anyone to look at and no one vying for my attention when i'm alone in the car on the phone.

I will "assume" however, that since you're so strongly opposed to distractions, that you'll forego the radio, CD/DVD player, GPS and other "distractions" in all your vehicles.
You will only ride solo (or not allow Connie to speak...right) and if you do have a radio/CD player, etc, you'll never change the settings unless at a full stop or off the road.
Right?

Pretty silly now that we think about it, isn't it?

Quote:
And, IMHO, any judge (or anyone else for that matter) who would recommend that a driver try to use a cell phone while in a high stress situation while driving should be whacked alongside the head by a two-by-four
Well, I guess I fall into that "or anyone else for that matter" category?

I just hope that whomever is wielding that 2x4 comes up from behind me quickly and acts so violently as to remove me from consciousness immediately.

Otherwise, they're not going to fare well at all

FWIW, I've sat through the endless taffic court hearings, both as a Deputy Sheriff, Police Officer and a P.I.

Everytime I think I've "heard it all", some moron comes up with one a new one.

I've heard the arguments and the attorney's pleadings.

I've heard the judges make comments just like that (did you call the police if you were scared?) and I've listened to the verdicts (both ways) that made absolutely no sense and left everyone in the courtroom (cops, attorneys, spectators and defendants) going WTF just happened?

I'm not just spouting off personal opinions, they're based on factual cases.

Sometimes I wish I'd have kept better notes. Some of this stuff would make the most humorous reading you can imagine.

I used to have a very high regard for the legal system and it's officers (attorney's, judges, magistrates).
Not so much any more.
If you think the judiciary is "smart", think again. Most are just politcally motivated with enough clout and aspirations to get elected/appointed.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this all turns out?

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #33
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Yes, he/she is the states witness.
If they're off duty, they're entitled to reimbursement by the state (standard witness fee-somewhere in the range of a whopping $10.00 =/-)

It depends on the agency.

The Sheriff here used to require us to relinquish our fee to the county and take comp/court time instead.

Some agencies allow the officers to keep it.

Remember:

Unread 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #34
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Yes, he/she is the states witness.
If they're off duty, they're entitled to reimbursement by the state (standard witness fee-somewhere in the range of a whopping $10.00 =/-)

It depends on the agency.

The Sheriff here used to require us to relinquish our fee to the county and take comp/court time instead.

Some agencies allow the officers to keep it.
Thanks.

I did agree with Rich's post and also with your last one. Half the time I see someone make a stupid move in traffic they're holding a cell phone. Usually just talking on it. It's like they're lost in the conversation and are oblivious to what's around them. They would probably be equally lost if talking to a passenger.
Unread 08-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #35
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Thanks.

I did agree with Rich's post and also with your last one. Half the time I see someone make a stupid move in traffic they're holding a cell phone. Usually just talking on it. It's like they're lost in the conversation and are oblivious to what's around them. They would probably be equally lost if talking to a passenger.
You're welcome.
And for the record, although I'm jerkin' his chain a bit, the fact of the matter is, I agree with some of what he's saying as well

I'm on the road sometimes 100+ miles a day, and I see a lot of absolutely brain dead moves out there.
When i get along side them, there's usually a cell phone stuck in thier hand and glued to thier ear.

I agree with restricting hand held usage and there's documented evidence to prove that such useage is dangerous.

There's nothing presently available that can definatively support hands free useage is any more dangerous than having a passenger, drinking a soft drink or changing the settings on your CD player.

I see a ton of LEO's on the phone daily, in the course of thier duties, and every damed one of them are on a hand held set!

If it's that dangerous, mandate hands free use only and be done with it.

Then again, most agencies have in car computers. think those haven't been responsible for a crash or 2 or 20?But it'll never read that way on the crash report.

The bottom line is, you still can't fix stupid and you can't legislate common sense.

What we need is less government control of our lives and more personal responsibility for our actions.

I don't need some suit telling me I can't use the phone in my car.
At the same time, I don't need to be looking to sue the cell phone company if I'm DWHUA and have a crash.

Personal responsibility 101.

Remember:

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #36
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
You're welcome.

and I see a lot of absolutely brain dead moves out there.
When i get along side them, there's usually a cell phone stuck in thier hand and glued to thier ear.

I agree with restricting hand held usage and there's documented evidence to prove that such useage is dangerous.
Exactly what I'm seeing. I thought hands free was the law?

I know with a 'smart phone' you either need voice dialing or get off the road to place your call. Touch screens are almost impossible while driving.
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #37
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, I guess you could claim you thought the guy was a maniac or something the way he was dogging your tail and you just wanted to get away from him. Say you feared for your life because of his aggressive and antagonistic driving. I guess if it's OK to shoot someone who puts you in fear for your life, then just simply trying to escape from him because you have the means to do so, should be a piece of cake.

Get an attorney and try to put HIM on the defensive. Reasonable doubt and all that.....
my old nieghbor is a deputy sherffic of sarasota and said that north port cops r known for pushing u in to speeding faster. also told me to get a traffic lawyer and i could reduce the fine plus get the points off .we will see
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #38
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Exactly what I'm seeing. I thought hands free was the law?

I know with a 'smart phone' you either need voice dialing or get off the road to place your call. Touch screens are almost impossible while driving.
Yeah, I love it when you can see people actually TEXTING while driving....
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #39
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As Shadow said $5 to $10 witness fee plus overtime rate of whatever they earn on the job. If they are on duty at the time of the hearing then it is part of the normal work day and there is no extra pay or witness fee given. Thats why some guys love midnight shift... everything is overtime since there is no "night court" like the old sitcom.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #40
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
As Shadow said $5 to $10 witness fee plus overtime rate of whatever they earn on the job. If they are on duty at the time of the hearing then it is part of the normal work day and there is no extra pay or witness fee given. Thats why some guys love midnight shift... everything is overtime since there is no "night court" like the old sitcom.
OK, thanks.