The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 04-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
jpalamaro

Name :
jpalamaro has disabled reputation
Default Can OnStar Be Turned Off!???

2009 Convertible with all of the bling, including OnStar. Talk about invasive, and yeah, I even extended my 'telephone minutes' and get this e-mail regularly warning me about my 2lbs low on the front, left tire and the inherent dangers of low tire pressure. GMAB!

So, am thinking, can this monster [OnStar]report other data e.g. max RPM (during break-in, voiding warranty), speeds, for the LEO's to correlate to a time (say I had an accident), and all sorts of 'big brother info'.

Can OnStar be turned off, if so, HOW, is the specific question?
jpalamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Yes, you can disable the service; however, it's my understanding that you can't remove the equipment without setting off a ton of codes.

To disable, remove the antenna (slide to side and remove) and pull the fuse...viola...no omre comms with OnStar

Simplest way would have been to order the car without it in the first place.

If you're not interested in it. you may be able to have the dealer or an aftermarket service company, uninstall it for you.

I wouldn't worry so much about OnStar reporting your errant ways as I would the CDR, (Crash Data Recorder), normally referred to as the "Black Box."

It generally records the last 5-15 seconds of an event for accelleration, braking, yaw, position, blah blah blah blah.....
Law enforcement, and insurance companies may access this information. You (and the other guys) insurance company at will.
Law Enforcement with a subpoena.

Removing it will not only void the warranty, it will (IIRC?) disable your passive restraints (airbags and such). Doing this does a couple of things:

1) Voids the warranty
2) Likely violates Federal Law (have to research it again but I believe that's the case
3) Sets you up for SERIOUS LIABILITY issues in the event of a crash where anyone else, either riding in your car or another car, is injured. (Sets a presumption of your intent to violate the law)
4) Eliminates or seriously impaires your opportunity/ability to recover damages if you're injured in the car, even as a result of someone elses negligence.

I'm sure I missed something, but you get the drift

And by far, that CDR and you OBD system are your biggest enemies when it comes to dealerships and thier warranties.

Hope that helps some.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
jpalamaro

Name :
Default Thanks Shadow...

I may or may not have introduced myself but am new to the auto scene, specifically the Corvette. In response to your very, very informative reply, I didn't special order the car but purchased it off of the lot with just about every known option, so OnStar came with it. I likely would have passed on it as well as the Navigation system, but, it's there.

While I may have erroneously focused on OnStar I am/was totally unfamiliar with the [crash data recorder] CDR and had no idea of its existence. I will likely do some research (lazy man, Google) to learn more about CDR's. All I can say to all of this is 'wow' how little [we/I] know about what's being recorded in our lives!

Thanks for great reply and the time it took you to respond!
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro View Post
I may or may not have introduced myself but am new to the auto scene, specifically the Corvette. In response to your very, very informative reply, I didn't special order the car but purchased it off of the lot with just about every known option, so OnStar came with it. I likely would have passed on it as well as the Navigation system, but, it's there.

While I may have erroneously focused on OnStar I am/was totally unfamiliar with the [crash data recorder] CDR and had no idea of its existence. I will likely do some research (lazy man, Google) to learn more about CDR's. All I can say to all of this is 'wow' how little [we/I] know about what's being recorded in our lives!

Thanks for great reply and the time it took you to respond!
No problem my friend. Always happy to help and aboard. Not only to the site, but the addiction called Corvette

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me and I'll hook you up with some answers

The CDR can be your best friend or your worse enemy.....

Gordon

Remember:

Unread 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Greg at Anticenom said to remove the fuse. I also want my Onstar to become offstar.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Greg at Anticenom said to remove the fuse. I also want my Onstar to become offstar.
I mean to say Antivenom.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
I mean to say Antivenom.
He's correct

Anything that dirupts power/signal will effectively shut it down.

Remember:

Unread 04-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

But.... The big difference is that on star can locate your car if stolen and shut it down so some small time car thief thug doesn't smash it up running from the police..... I hate big brother as much as anyone else (or even more I believe) but that feature is really cool.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #9
Shadow

Name :

Great point Rocket

I believe there are some other GPS based anti theft related products out there as well, that are not, shall we say, so "invasive?"

I think I recall reading about them. I know there are tracking devises out there just not sure if any can remotely shut down the car. Need to do some research.

Might be a good product to design and promote for some electronic gearhead

Remember:

Unread 04-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
jpalamaro

Name :

I started this thread and never thought it would get any 'legs'. But, so far have learned about EDR's(event driven recorders)/CDR's (Shadow, guess the free world loves avoiding the word 'crash'; btw, some motorcyclists get their shorts in a wad should you mention 'crash bars' rather than 'engine/body protectors'. To that I say, GMAFB!)

Anyhow, I have a more benign view of OnStar. Not quite sure why, other than perhaps it's overshadowed by the EDR. And while I am dead set against 'invasive' and truth be told, if my Vette ever stolen I'm not sure I want it back, I am reminded of the great Will Roger's quote (I think it was Will): "It's a good thing we don't get all of the government we pay for!"