The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 04-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road
Default Track Day at Pocono

Well, since I have not moved down to Florida yet, I took the opportunity to go to the NCCC East Region driving school at Pocono Raceway this weekend to get my NCCC high speed license. Other than being worn out, and the car needing some serious detailing, wow, what a great weekend!

We ran the North Course at Pocono which is about 1.3 miles, seven turns road course. If you are familiar with the Pocono track from watching NASCAR, we ran clockwise through the banked turn 3, down to just short of the tunnel turn before diving hard into the infield road course, which then exits back at turn 3. What a rush! One of the biggest kicks I got was running just a few feet from the concrete wall with the driver's window open and listening my Z06 wind through the gears. No other sound like it.

I would highly recommend anyone that really wants to experience exactly what their Corvette can do, try a high speed event. You need to be aware of a couple of drawbacks before you go off and do this. First, regardless of how you prepare the car, you cannot wrap it in a bubble and keep objects from hitting the car at well over 100 MPH. Second, be prepared to replace rotors and pads because you will wear them out in a couple track days if you are running hard. But if you can live with that, then you got to try it.

I have included a picture I took in the driveway when I got home this evening. It will show you how much I tried to protect the car and still I have new chips that I did not have before the event.
Attached Images

Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

That sounds like way too much fun

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

We Need Sounds like a blast
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Sorry BYM, I did not get any pics. I was too damn busy at triple digit speeds to reach over and grab the camera. But I did have it in mind because I took the camera. Unfortunately, the way Pocono has it setup if you are not on the track, you are in the garage area, which is real easy to see the front straight. But we were not running that section. We were on the north course which was only visible if you walked about a quarter mile from the garage area. Did not have time to do this. When you came off the course you needed to do a little maintenance items like check your tire pressure. They were growing about 7 pounds per session, so you needed to drop them a bit to equalize the pressure and then re-adjust them just before going back out. Brakes are a big issue in events like this as well. You are supposed to run a Z06 1 quart up on the oil, so you were checking that also. Then you needed to get your windshield cleaned up because it was hot this weekend in PA and the winshields were getting pelted with chunks of rubber.

Anyway, no pics from my camera, that is why I took the one once I got home. I know a couple people from my club walked up to turn 5 and was taking pictures and if they send them out, I will try to put a photoshow together.

But it was an absolute blast. This will take care of your need for speed! Everyone needs to try it at least once.

Rich
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Rich! I remembered you saying you were going but I didn't remember when. What a rush!! Can't wait to hear you explain it in person. Next time you and Joyce are down I want ALL the details!! I sure hope somebody got photos