The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 08-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Lion Fish

And yet another reason to stay out of the water....

Quote:
Florida Lionfish ban, nation's first, goes into effect

By By Zachary Fagenson

MIAMI (Reuters) - Florida's ban on importing invasive lionfish, the first of its kind in the nation, goes into effect on Friday as wildlife managers look for a way to control the spread of the barbed, red-and-white striped fish.

Bringing the fish into the state is now punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and a year in prison.

Lionfish, native to the waters off Southeast Asia, are believed to have arrived in the region as pets for aquariums. Over time, some were released into the wild.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which approved the ban in mid-June, also loosened fishing rules making it easier for recreational divers and fisherman to catch lionfish.

Scientists are concerned that lionfish will decimate other species found in Florida waters. The fish, which have few known predators, live in warm waters up to 1,000 feet deep and feed on anything from shrimp to other fish.

The loinfish, which can grow up to a foot in length, are covered in poisonous spines. While they are not aggressive, they can flare the barbs much like a porcupine if threatened.

"They're here to stay," said Roldan Muñoz, a researcher with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in North Carolina who studies the lionfish.

"If we can prevent more of them from getting dumped into the water ... as well as making it easier for people to harvest them it's a good start," he said.

The first lionfish sighting was in 1985 off the coast of South Florida, according to Pam Schofield, a fishery researcher for the United State Geological Service (USGS).

In the mid-1990s they began spreading up Florida's east coast and can now be found year-round from the shores of Venezuela to North Carolina.

Lionfish have been spotted on the U.S. East Coast as far north as Rhode Island, but aren't able to survive in the frigid winter waters.

A lionfish database operated by the USGS includes more than 4,000 sightings logged since 1985, though estimates of the total lionfish population aren't available.

In September, the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission will consider additional punishment for breeding lionfish.

(Editing by Frank McGurty and Sandra Maler)
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/florida-lionfi...204358216.html
Unread 08-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

on almost every dive trip I went on this last year in PCB I saw at least 1 Lionfish PER dive, ranging from small ones the size of a golf ball to huge ones, up to a foot long.....

I hear they are good eating, hopefully I can get into spear fishing and can help tame the population....
Unread 08-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Rich Z

Just be careful. Their sting isn't supposed to be fatal, but I understand it's pretty painful. No sense ruining your day.
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default The first Lionfish....

I ever saw in the ocean was off Stuart (FL) much earlier then the 80's. I believe it was about 1966 or so and were a pretty fair number of them roaming around then.
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Just be careful. Their sting isn't supposed to be fatal, but I understand it's pretty painful. No sense ruining your day.
without a spear I ain't getting close to one....

This was 240 (harvested by 1 team) of the 300+ that were harvested last weekend on a spearfishing rodeo in Panama City Beach...
Unread 08-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
Rich Z

Yeah, I'll bet it's a real challenge to clean them.

Don't use the spines for toothpicks.......
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Benjamin

I think as long as you aren't poked you will be ok, just use gloves and scissors to cut them off.

I heard it is a nice flaky white fish....