The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #521
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Heck, no telling.... Tuning is taking far longer than he had hoped it would. Here's a video of some progress being made when I went out there on Monday.

Aaron thinks the new dual disk Fidanza clutch I have in there may be slipping when boost kicks in. He sent the car off to have the alignment done and hopes to know more when he can actually take it out on the road to test drive it. At this time, I haven't heard anything further about it.
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #522
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

THAT IS SICK AS ALL GET OUT!!!! I love it when the turbo's let loose at the end. Wow, just WOW! I'd love to hear that beast go flat out down the front stretch at Sebring Raceway!
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #523
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

Rich,

Do you know who he is going to take the car to to get the alignment? If I can recommend someone, Ron Goodson, if he is still in business, is BY FAR the best alignment guy in Thomasville. He has aligned all my vehicles that will fit on his rack.

What power is that new clutch rated for?
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #524
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
Rich,

Do you know who he is going to take the car to to get the alignment? If I can recommend someone, Ron Goodson, if he is still in business, is BY FAR the best alignment guy in Thomasville. He has aligned all my vehicles that will fit on his rack.
Aaron told me, but it wasn't anything I felt I needed to remember. So I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
What power is that new clutch rated for?
Chris said it was rated at 1,300 hp. The part number on the invoice I got from Chris indicating the 6.5 inch twin disk Fidanza unit he bought is rated at only 625 ft/lbs torque.

Obviously a discrepancy.......
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #525
Rich Z

Here's another video I took the same day so I could watch one of the tires to see if it was slipping on the roller for the dyno.

Unread 10-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #526
Rich Z

I talked with Aaron at SGC today (actually Thursday) and he said my car is still over at the shop doing the alignment. The guy there is finding all sorts of stuff that is just loose and apparently never tightened down. To make matters worse, he had found some bolts that were cross threaded and took some real work to get out. Apparently one of the ball joints got ruined as well. Par for the course, I guess.

On a semi-brighter note, Chris did straighten me out about one thing. Apparently what I was seeing in the IDs for the Fidanza twin disk clutches is NOT the diameter in inches. It's sort of like a version number. So whereas I was thinking the 625 ft. lbs. clutch was 6.5 inches and the 900 ft. lbs one was 7.6 inches, it's actually a VERSION number. The higher the version number, apparently the higher the torque rating. So Chris put in version #6.5m that was supposed to be version 7.6, but the ad copy in the Ebay auction he bought it from was misleading. I saw it too, and would have to agree that a mistake could easily have been made. That being said, Chris still should have researched it more thoroughly to make certain the clutch he got was what would be sufficient for my car.

Anyway, Chris believes that by simply replacing the v6.5 carbon organic disks with the v7.6 ceramic disks, that will bring the clutch's power rating up to snuff.

Regardless, the drivetrain is going to have to be taken out of my car yet again from the clutch back. Obviously this doesn't thrill me in the least and will even further delay getting my car done. If I can get Chris to shake a leg in getting that refund check to me for the transmission and differential that I never got, I am thinking seriously about getting a C6 Z06 geared transmission put in there. After driving the C6 Z06, I like the ratio selection in that transmission a hell of a whole lot better than that of the C5 Z06. If the drivetrain wasn't going to be removed, I wouldn't buy a new transmission nor differential just because I didn't want to pull them out and delay getting my car back, but heck, since it has to happen anyway, I can toy with this idea. But my car allowance is pretty much depleted and it hinges on Chris getting that refund to me in a timely fashion.

But heck, I just don't know. I get a little twinge of excitement back seeing the car on the dyno, but then get knocked back two steps finding out about the crap that was not done, or else wasn't done correctly. Learning about that wrong clutch being in there and having to pull out the drivetrain was definitely a pretty low blip on the fun-o-meter....
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #527
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

If/when I replace the transmission in mine, I want to go all the way to ZR1 gears. You might think about that s another option.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #528
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
If/when I replace the transmission in mine, I want to go all the way to ZR1 gears. You might think about that s another option.
Without having driven one, I would have no idea whether or not I actually would like the gear ratio used. Since this has to happen real soon, if at all, finding someone locally to let me drive their ZR-1 in the next couple of days doesn't seem very likely.

Is your engine getting close to being done?
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #529
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

I haven't personally driven a ZR1, but the "main" difference is that the ZR1 doesn't have an overdrive, it's all pull, all the time. 1-4th are very similar, but 5 & 6 still keep pulling strong. Would probably suit your car really nice. I think it's a crap ton more expensive than a ZO6 unit though. You'd probably be better off just getting the sequential gear box from LG motorsports over the ZR1. Now THAT'S a transmission.

Good luck, at least you KNOW your car is in good hands now.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #530
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
I haven't personally driven a ZR1, but the "main" difference is that the ZR1 doesn't have an overdrive, it's all pull, all the time. 1-4th are very similar, but 5 & 6 still keep pulling strong. Would probably suit your car really nice. I think it's a crap ton more expensive than a ZO6 unit though. You'd probably be better off just getting the sequential gear box from LG motorsports over the ZR1. Now THAT'S a transmission.

Good luck, at least you KNOW your car is in good hands now.
Yeah, for $27,595 it damned site BETTER be a good transmission. But definitely FAR, FAR out of my league.

As for the ZR-1 transmission, I prefer one with overdrive gears for the long trips, so that doesn't sound like what I would be interested in. Heck, with the C6 Z06, it pulls nicely in 5th and 6th enough for me. The LS7 has a good bit of torque to it, even stock.

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports