The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Board of Inquiry®

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Board of Inquiry® Got a problem with someone you had a dealing with? Can't get it resolved and no other recourse presents itself? Had an especially good transaction with someone? Looking for info on a dealer?

Unread 05-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #181
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDuss View Post
Not a post stirrer
Hey Bubba, I was just yanking Shadow's chain when I posted. I have also read Rich's post and I agree that you need to have all of your ducks in a row.

This is serious business and usually not allowed on a lot of forums but it definitely can help the members as far as getting work done on our cars. Now I need to get out of here before I get spanked. Oh dam-, I see him coming.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #182
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
...Now I need to get out of here before I get spanked. Oh dam-, I see him coming.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #183
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

Um... the BoI isn't viewable by non-members is it? If it is, perhaps just a first name and last initial might be best.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #184
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaZ View Post
Um... the BoI isn't viewable by non-members is it? If it is, perhaps just a first name and last initial might be best.
I would think a PM to Rich or Shadow would be all that's required. You wouldn't want to post it.
Unread 05-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #185
Shadow

Name :

Rich obviously has the final say on how information is posted in the BOI.

Personally, I'd prefer some sort of confirmable identifier be forwarded privately to one of the mods or an admin so it could be validated, yet not published.

There are a lot of reasons for not wanting to post one's entire name on the internet. Fraud, ID theft, retribution, are all concerns nowdays.

But I do think there should be some way of validating a person's identity where it concerns a compaint that may damage a party's reputation or ability to earn a living.

JMHO

Remember:

Unread 05-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #186
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
retribution, are all concerns nowdays.

But I do think there should be some way of validating a person's identity where it concerns a compaint that may damage a party's reputation or ability to earn a living.

JMHO
I haven't been on here that long but I have seen what I would consider to be some nut cases, in my opinion. I would be concerned with the retribution pat of your post. We can protect ourselves and our property but if someone is determined enough they will probably succeed.
Unread 05-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #187
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Rich obviously has the final say on how information is posted in the BOI.

Personally, I'd prefer some sort of confirmable identifier be forwarded privately to one of the mods or an admin so it could be validated, yet not published.

There are a lot of reasons for not wanting to post one's entire name on the internet. Fraud, ID theft, retribution, are all concerns nowdays.

JMHO
There are varying opinions on how to do something like this, of course, but I will likely model this after the way I run the BOI forum on my main site -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=13

In my opinion, identification of the parties involved is pretty much necessary in order to establish credibility. Anyone can say absolutely anything they want if there is no verifiable ownership attached to the words they type. Which, of course, would more likely cause people posting to be less retrospective with the accuracy and truthfulness of what they are posting publicly.

As far as retribution is concerned, that weapon being used frivolously and/or maliciously can be a two edged sword. If someone posts what appears to be factual information that is non flattering to the business they dealt with, and that business files a frivolous defamation lawsuit against their former customer, what do you think potentially new customers are going to think about doing business with that place? That in itself would be extremely damaging to any business. As for the defendant in such a lawsuit, as long as they have their ducks lined up in a row and can PROVE what they have claimed, they WILL win the case. And after doing so, they can turn around and file a countersuit seeking damages for abuse of process and PROVABLE defamation of character and libel for the false statements that business claimed against them. Quite frankly, any business that has to resort to the threat of lawsuits in order to keep the truth from being exposed to the public is certainly not going to be around for very long.

Heck, I have had MORE than my share of threatened lawsuits just for maintaining that BOI forum mentioned above. The point of such threats was to attempt to scare me into deleting the thread about the person or business in order to destroy the evidence posted. However, I don't scare so easily, and have NEVER deleted any such evidence at all. There is substantial case history stemming from federal law that protects owners and staff of sites like this concerning such matters.
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #188
Bob K
Deceased

I was referring to physical retribution Rich.
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #189
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I was referring to physical retribution Rich.
Hell, you live in Florida. If someone physically attacks you in a place you have a right to be in, you can shoot the sob. -> http://www.gunlaws.com/FloridaCastleDoctrine.htm
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #190
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
...As far as retribution is concerned, that weapon being used frivolously and/or maliciously can be a two edged sword. If someone posts what appears to be factual information that is non flattering to the business they dealt with, and that business files a frivolous defamation lawsuit against their former customer, what do you think potentially new customers are going to think about doing business with that place? That in itself would be extremely damaging to any business. As for the defendant in such a lawsuit, as long as they have their ducks lined up in a row and can PROVE what they have claimed, they WILL win the case. And after doing so, they can turn around and file a countersuit seeking damages for abuse of process and PROVABLE defamation of character and libel for the false statements that business claimed against them. Quite frankly, any business that has to resort to the threat of lawsuits in order to keep the truth from being exposed to the public is certainly not going to be around for very long...
That's assuming the information posted is in fact correct and not malicious. The appearance of fact and fact, are worlds apart

But you're correct that a business that needs to use the threat of legal action to control the dissemination of truth based information, won't be around long...I wonder what we'll name the USA next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hell, you live in Florida. If someone physically attacks you in a place you have a right to be in, you can shoot the sob. -> http://www.gunlaws.com/FloridaCastleDoctrine.htm
Hell yeah!

Remember: