The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 02-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #81
ironhorse
Road Warrior

Name :
ironhorse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj341 View Post
Last time I saw him and Jackie it was at the Gators, I was in the stands (Top Eliminator Club) He was doing his THING!!
George also had a stroked Viper that John L built for him...540 in motor, holy sh*t did that car run strong...If you go on the LPE site, you will see that LPE will do Viper work...Thats a carry over from when George had John L do Vipers...George has sold that car a long time ago...
ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #82
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
I mean are you refering to racing in parking lot's? I mean the orange cone thing? OMG Bob..............have you not seen the cars I build, and your asking me about Auto cross, Gymkana racing?

Come on now Bob I'd rather talk drag racing your vette. There's just one thing I haven't quite figured with anyone in this club..........Pinks and the other show Pass time guessing ET times. 1 1/2 years ago A blue 427 Mallett with just slicks was on the show, Then Speed brought it back later to race a couple 650 Kawasacki crotch rocket's. The 427 Mallett turned 10.32 and second run 10.36. Oh yes, the bike's ran 10.50's Do you remember the show?
The Mallett was Nassau blue
That's good, you got me laughing.

Now back to my question. On extremely tight turns, like cones in a parking lot , would the Mustang handle better than my Vette? C'mon Spice, you know what I mean.

I didn't see that show with the Mallett. The Speed channel is turning into the NASCAR channel.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #83
NOT A TA

Name :
NOT A TA has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Nice car. Is that a Mustang?

Spice, this is a serious question maybe you can answer. In '69 & '70 I belonged to the NEISCCA (North East Indiana Sports Car Club of America). We ran some road race courses (Indy) and a lot of gymkhanas. I think today they call it auto cross. I won more than my share and I was always in a Mustang. I have had opportunities to auto cross now in my Vette. Here comes the question.

I always thought I could throw that Mustang around and put it almost any place I wanted to. It felt light and loose. In comparison, the steering in my Vette feels tight and while it would be great on a road course I don't think it would do well in a tight auto cross. I would like to know what you think. It may just be a mental thing with me but I don't think so.
Take the Vette to a real track Bob! We're in the land of plenty. Thats why I moved here. PBI, Sebring, Daytona, Homestead. It'll be a lot more fun than getting beat up by Miatas at an Auto X. Think of it as a bunch of dragstrips with no speed limits on the turn offs or return road! Try the NASA HPDE events. There's always one or two Corvettes in my group and they smoke me on the straights!

A couple years ago I went to a Chevy "Rev It Up" event at Englishtown where they had auto-X courses and other types of driving things and vehicles you could "test". It was like a car carnival, go get in line then take a car or Trailblazer SS down a short dragstrip, auto-X, street course or whatever. They also had a daylong timed competition on a longer auto X course in addition to the 2 other Auto X practice tracks. One practice track was for Corvettes and one for Cobalt SS's. My competition time on the Auto X stayed top 10 till the end of the day and my drag time was 2nd for the day (I'm light).

Since there weren't very many people when I arrived early in the day (weekday) I got through all of the classroom instructions, "test rides" and timed hot laps with lots of spare time left over. After "testing" the Corvettes and Cobalt SS's on the auto-X practice tracks a few times I decided the Cobalts were more fun and (seemed) quicker on the short track. I spent about an hour at the Cobalt "track" just getting out of one and into the next Cobalt till I found my favorite. Since there was no line of people waiting they let me go over and over without getting out of the car till the tires were gone. Then they took the car away, so I got into another one till my favorite reappeared with NEW TIRES! Drove the car till they shut the place down. LOL Best $25.00 entry fee to a car event I've ever spent!

Before I took my runs on the Auto X practice courses I watched others. On the Corvette Auto-X track I watched several people spin out on a sharp corner applying to much throttle after an early apex. When I made my runs I didn't spin but the cars didn't really feel at home on the tight course. The only fun part was the short straight. In my opinion the Vettes are more suited to the big tracks where they can stretch their legs.
NOT A TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #84
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default Amen brother Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
Take the Vette to a real track Bob! We're in the land of plenty. Thats why I moved here. PBI, Sebring, Daytona, Homestead. It'll be a lot more fun than getting beat up by Miatas at an Auto X. Think of it as a bunch of dragstrips with no speed limits on the turn offs or return road! Try the NASA HPDE events. There's always one or two Corvettes in my group and they smoke me on the straights!

A couple years ago I went to a Chevy "Rev It Up" event at Englishtown where they had auto-X courses and other types of driving things and vehicles you could "test". It was like a car carnival, go get in line then take a car or Trailblazer SS down a short dragstrip, auto-X, street course or whatever. They also had a daylong timed competition on a longer auto X course in addition to the 2 other Auto X practice tracks. One practice track was for Corvettes and one for Cobalt SS's. My competition time on the Auto X stayed top 10 till the end of the day and my drag time was 2nd for the day (I'm light).

Since there weren't very many people when I arrived early in the day (weekday) I got through all of the classroom instructions, "test rides" and timed hot laps with lots of spare time left over. After "testing" the Corvettes and Cobalt SS's on the auto-X practice tracks a few times I decided the Cobalts were more fun and (seemed) quicker on the short track. I spent about an hour at the Cobalt "track" just getting out of one and into the next Cobalt till I found my favorite. Since there was no line of people waiting they let me go over and over without getting out of the car till the tires were gone. Then they took the car away, so I got into another one till my favorite reappeared with NEW TIRES! Drove the car till they shut the place down. LOL Best $25.00 entry fee to a car event I've ever spent!

Before I took my runs on the Auto X practice courses I watched others. On the Corvette Auto-X track I watched several people spin out on a sharp corner applying to much throttle after an early apex. When I made my runs I didn't spin but the cars didn't really feel at home on the tight course. The only fun part was the short straight. In my opinion the Vettes are more suited to the big tracks where they can stretch their legs.
Corvette's are in deed meant for Lemans and Daytona, ect Sebring.
Alot of reason why so. As for one, the vette has tight sensitive steering
designed so the car follows your eyes and control through the hands on the wheel. Sensors can tell just what your eye control wants through your hands on the wheel. (late c-4 engineering developement ESM) . Little Colbalts are a ton on fun, just read or see Johnny O and Oliie run them around the tracks. Nimble and very quick.
Spice
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #85
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:

I'm just really committed this year to getting in the 'win' column at the strip and I am starting to find just switching from streets to dr's and putting it on the trailer is work when it didn't used to be. I am also thinking about maybe an old Camaro or Mustang to be used only at the track. That would allow me to set up the Vette for the things you suggest. I really would enjoy that. Spice may even approve.

In 2005 I raced almost the whole year at Englishtown. I saw some guys running the auto cross but never paid much attention to them. If you remember there was a private airport along side of the pits with a very small lake in between. There also was a fence (chain link) between the pits and the lake. Some kid in his new Vette was running the auto cross, went through the fence and into the lake. All that was visible was a small section of the roof. I don't imagine that car was ever repaired.

You have confirmed what I feel regarding the Vette vs Mustang. I have never driven a Cobalt but we share the same views that the Vette is not as nimble.
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #86
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
Corvette's are in deed meant for Lemans and Daytona, ect Sebring.
Alot of reason why so. As for one, the vette has tight sensitive steering
designed so the car follows your eyes and control through the hands on the wheel. Sensors can tell just what your eye control wants through your hands on the wheel. (late c-4 engineering developement ESM) . Little Colbalts are a ton on fun, just read or see Johnny O and Oliie run them around the tracks. Nimble and very quick.
Spice
Thanks Spice. I asked you, who BTW I would consider to be THE expert given your history, to confirm what I felt. I have had discussions with other folks that have never done anything but drag race and when I say I just can't throw the Vette around like I could the Mustang they don't have a clue what I mean. On the other hand I wasn't sure if that was just something I felt and possibly having never tried it I was wrong.

You and TA have confirmed that indeed the steering is tight on the Vette and my gut feelings were correct. I really respect you guys and your opinions and I appreciate the feedback.
Unread 02-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #87
NOT A TA

Name :

Bob; If you do decide to build a dedicated drag car I have a Mustang project I never finished you might be interested in. It's a 66 coupe with a carbed 69 302 built to run nitrous, built C4, and a Currie equipped 9" with 4.88s.

I've finally admitted to myself I need to let go of some of my toys and sell some of the cars. I don't have the storage here I did up north and it's silly to keep cars in storage facilities and not use them. I also have too many upgrade projects that I need to do on other cars before I might even possibly have time to get back to working on the Mustang so that will be one of the ones for sale. The other cars are all running driveable etc. I figure I'll put 6 up for sale and the first 4 that sell will go. Maybe 5 if someone wants to trade a Corvette for one or more of them. I've set myself a goal of getting down to 4 cars and a tow vehicle.

Since this started as a drag racing thread and we all like to see pics here's another one of my cars at the strip. A 70 Wildcat 455 at Lebanon Valley in NY at a track rental day. We took that car because my buddys Syclone had computer issues so I told him we could just take one of my other cars and swap back and forth to see who could get the best time in each car. Second pic is looking out of my Firebird while he ran the Wildcat. Sadly the Wildcat hasn't been used much the past 5 years and sits locked up in storage.

Unread 02-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #88
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Bob; If you do decide to build a dedicated drag car I have a Mustang project I never finished you might be interested in. It's a 66 coupe with a carbed 69 302 built to run nitrous, built C4, and a Currie equipped 9" with 4.88s.

I've finally admitted to myself I need to let go of some of my toys and sell some of the cars. I don't have the storage here I did up north and it's silly to keep cars in storage facilities and not use them. I also have too many upgrade projects that I need to do on other cars before I might even possibly have time to get back to working on the Mustang so that will be one of the ones for sale. The other cars are all running driveable etc. I figure I'll put 6 up for sale and the first 4 that sell will go. Maybe 5 if someone wants to trade a Corvette for one or more of them. I've set myself a goal of getting down to 4 cars and a tow vehicle.

Since this started as a drag racing thread and we all like to see pics here's another one of my cars at the strip. A 70 Wildcat 455 at Lebanon Valley in NY at a track rental day. We took that car because my buddys Syclone had computer issues so I told him we could just take one of my other cars and swap back and forth to see who could get the best time in each car. Second pic is looking out of my Firebird while he ran the Wildcat. Sadly the Wildcat hasn't been used much the past 5 years and sits locked up in storage.
Did I tell you that I have done some T&T at Lebanon Valley? I wish I could see all of these cars you have. I remember the Wildcat very well. I also agree that unless you have a museum it doesn't do much good to let em sit. Just the maintenance alone would be a lot of work. Great pictures.

What I have been thinking about is a dedicated car that I can work on myself. No electronics. I used to swap pigs in the Mustang in 45 minutes. I think it's about an 8 hour job on the Vette and it's a lot more work than I would care to do. It was a major production for me to change wheel studs a few weeks ago. I followed GM instructions but I think I found an easier way. I won't know until I have to do it again.

You have mentioned the Mustang and not the others so I'm guessing that it's the only one that matches what I said I was thinking about. I know I said Mustang or Camaro but it really doesn't matter. Can you PM or email (r.korreck@yahoo.com) the specs and price on the Mustang? If you have time let me know all that you have for sale. Thanks TA.
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #89
NOT A TA

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Did I tell you that I have done some T&T at Lebanon Valley? I wish I could see all of these cars you have. I remember the Wildcat very well. I also agree that unless you have a museum it doesn't do much good to let em sit. Just the maintenance alone would be a lot of work. Great pictures.

What I have been thinking about is a dedicated car that I can work on myself. No electronics. I used to swap pigs in the Mustang in 45 minutes. I think it's about an 8 hour job on the Vette and it's a lot more work than I would care to do. It was a major production for me to change wheel studs a few weeks ago. I followed GM instructions but I think I found an easier way. I won't know until I have to do it again.

You have mentioned the Mustang and not the others so I'm guessing that it's the only one that matches what I said I was thinking about. I know I said Mustang or Camaro but it really doesn't matter. Can you PM or email (r.korreck@yahoo.com) the specs and price on the Mustang? If you have time let me know all that you have for sale. Thanks TA.
Last time I ran at Lebanon the wind coming around the speed bowl was blowing people around on the top end so they only let us run 1/8th mile. I was running 7.7 with 1.7 60' off the transbrake in my 67 Nova (sold that one already).

You're right about maintenance, it's killing me. This weekend is dedicated to a trailer. Who thinks about trailer maintenance? And man do I need an electric jack! It's getting harder to crank them by hand as the years pass!

I wish I'd put a 9" in my Firebird. I run a 2.41 rear for high speed events and a 3.73 for drags. I have to swap out the whole rear each time and although I've gotten quicker at it, it still takes a couple hours to do that and put the ET streets and skinnys on.

Here's the cars I'm considering selling in case anyone following this thread finds any of them interesting. I'll send ya an email about the Mustang Bob, it's the one that matched your desires best.

66 Mustang
67 Camaro RS SS Conv.
70 Buick Wildcat
81 Malibu
84 Suburban already on C/L
86 Carrera Euro Widebody Cabrio
88 Nova Twin Cam already on C/L
00 F-350 TD CC Dually
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #90
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
I wish I'd put a 9" in my Firebird. I run a 2.41 rear for high speed events and a 3.73 for drags. I have to swap out the whole rear each time and although I've gotten quicker at it, it still takes a couple hours to do that and put the ET streets and skinnys on.
You're talking about sliding the axles and taking out the differential (pig) right? That's what I did with the '70 Mustang and it took me 45 minutes, but I had a lift so that made a big difference. Here's a couple of photos of my '69 Mach 1 and the '70 Mustang. Drag strip was in Avilla, Indiana. Not near as nice as the photos you guys have posted.
Attached Images