The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 08-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Water beading and spotting

OK, I'm puzzled by this. Today my sister in law comes to visit us and it's been raining most of the day. So her Jeep Cherokee (silver gray colored) has been sitting outside and the rain water eventually evaporated off of it. So I go and give it a real close eyeball to see how badly the finish is spotted from water spots. Well, let me tell you, I couldn't find ANY......... Yet if I had had the silver C6 out there in similar situations, the spots would have been terrible to behold.

So what the heck is going on? Are we making our own headaches by using all these products that MAKE the water bead up on the surface? Is the beading actually a detriment by promoting the water spots? Perhaps having no beading at all is the best route to take.

Now I have looked for products that claim to not cause water beading and instead allow water to sheet off of the surface, and I am not thinking strongly that I may have to try that out. Of course, maybe I am just looking at this from a cockeyed point of view, but perhaps things that make water spots should be considered as BAD, and things that don't, are GOOD. Other considerations aside, of course.....

Now thinking back on it, I never ever, even when I used to take diligent care of my previous vehicles, can remember having problems with water spots. Was I just not paying attention to detail, or have we created our own frankenstein?
Unread 08-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Is her Cherokee even waxed? I've heard of the products you're speaking of. Do they protect the paint at all? Also, I have a little water spotting on my cars from rainwater or dew, but if I rinse them off with the garden hose and let it dry, bigtime water spots! Hard water in this area! I still like seeing the water bead up on a freshly waxed car! And I hate those days when the wind is blowing so hard the car drys before you can chamois it off!
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
Rich Z

I actually dry my car off with a leaf blower after washing. There may be tiny water spots remaining, but they are easy to get off with a wipe down with detail spray.

I need to look up those non-beading products again. I think I saved links somewhere.....
Unread 08-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :
Flash man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I actually dry my car off with a leaf blower after washing. There may be tiny water spots remaining, but they are easy to get off with a wipe down with detail spray.

I need to look up those non-beading products again. I think I saved links somewhere.....

Hi Rich,

The rain water is not as hard as the water that comes from the hose. If you keep your car waxed and it rains on the car, after it dries you should not have any water spots. if you do, they are usually faint spots and can be wiped off. If you wash your car, you better make sure you dry it off with a chamois or microfiber towel. The water is very hard and contains harsh calcium deposits. You will then need a cleaner wax to remove them if the sun bakes them into the clear.

As far as should we wax and have beading or not wax and have the water sheath off is totally up to you. The benefits of waxing are as follows:

Keeping wax or polish on your car:

1. Protects your finish from the harsh UV Rays of the Florida Sun.
2. Leaves a high gloss and looks good.
3. Leaves a smooth surface and stops contaminates from attacking the clearcoat.
4. Makes vehicle easier to wipe and resists staining.

Never and I say Never, hose your car down and let it air dry. Not in Florida.
You must always wipe the car down after washing. If you have enough wax on the car it should resist rain water spots.

Detail sprays are good to use in between waxing, but you must hand wax, regularly to keep contaminates away. Hand waxes contain silicone and that my friend is your UV protection. The more wax you have on the car, the more durable the finish and the longer it lasts. Wax build up is very good! The sun is just too dam strong down here. I will tell you that the best hand wax to use is: Flash Liquid Paste Wax made by Malco products.

It contains Carnauba, and Dupont Teflon. This wax when used regularly will resist spotting and contaminates. Its easy to use , has a good cleaner in it and leaves a high gloss. I have used Flash since it came out in 1989 and its a great product. We named our company after that wax!

I would rather keep my clearcoat protected from the harsh enviroment, than not to wax it and let it fade away. Take Care.

Joe - Flash Auto Detail Products
Flash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Rich Z

Does that Flash Liquid Paste Wax leave a white residue in all the seams between body panels and discolor mouldings? That effect is murder if you have rock chips on a dark colored vehicle, because the dried wax then becomes glaring white spots all over the place....
Unread 08-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Hi Rich,

Flash leaves a light residue and its not dusty, but it will stain porous plastic surfaces. Just wipe it on carefully around those areas. If you do get wax on the plastic, use a scrub brush, or old tooth brush with Cherry bomb cleaner or Brown Royal and it will clean the wax out. Then use Aqua gloss to protect the plastic. I will have Kellie send you a free sample of Flash wax on Monday and you can try it for yourself.

Joe-Flash
Unread 08-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
Rich Z

Thanks Joe. If I can break away from the critters long enough, I'll try to order a buffer from you so you can just throw the freebie in the box. No promises though, this time of year is pretty rough around here.
Unread 08-05-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Hi Rich,

No problem. Things are slow all over right now. I will send it out monday. Thanks.

Joe
Unread 09-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
Rich Z

Joe,

I got the Flash was a while back and forgot to thank you for it. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, however, as this is just a busy time of year for me. And no, I didn't think to order the buffer from you.

What shows are you attending this year? It may be easier to ask you to bring some stuff with you for me....

Thanks!

Rich Z.
Unread 09-05-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Rich
My Vette is Pewter and In the few months I've owned it I've never waxed it. I do however, use meguiars Ultimate detailer at least once a week. My car is a daily driver and has been in the rain and has dried naturally. I do not or have not had a problem with spotting. I don't know what was used on it prior, but I the water really beads up on the car.
When I was at the Insty Tune drop in, there was a guy there selling wax the the water sheeted off and didn't bead and was instantly dry.