The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
CK 6

Name :
CK 6 has disabled reputation
Default What's it take to be stopped?

This may be an irresponsible question, but how much over the speed limit on the interstates will get you pulled over? I have heard you are probably OK if you are less than 10 mph over the posted speed. Any truth to that?
CK 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, I don't really know, but if I'm speeding, I normally try to keep within 10 percent over the speed limit, OR keep up with the flow of traffic, whichever is higher.
Unread 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

This is a totally subjective realm of thought because it has way.... too many variables to give a clear cut answer.

My department "usually" allowed a 10 way give or take, unless it was an obviously stupid or disrespectful driver, or an impaired or suspect driver. Now the variables start becoming, is it an enforcement task force (very little tolerance) or a check point or is the officer having a very good day or a very bad day, are you being a dumba** on his roads etc.

I can tell you, with rare exception if our unit had the word "traffic" on the marked unit you could plan on a "press hard, five copies" if stopped.

I have many friends who proudly serve as Troopers on the highways and most will say something similar to the above but please keep in mind an officer is allowed nearly total discretion in a speed violation and will (and should) use their judgement.

Now with that disclaimer having been said I'll honestly tell you I generally will run (other then those sudden bursts, totally caused by my Vette) no more then 10 over.

Their are several present members of the forum who are, or were LEO. See what the guys say.

Oh and as a final note beware of small towns!

Ken
Unread 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
CK 6

Name :
CK 6 has disabled reputation

What a great Vette. I had a '72 same color but with the base engine. Wish I had kept it.

Thanks for your reply. Almost all my driving is interstate and I tend to hang 5 over the limit. However I end up being the slow guy.
CK 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142
This is a totally subjective realm of thought because it has way.... too many variables to give a clear cut answer.

My department "usually" allowed a 10 way give or take, unless it was an obviously stupid or disrespectful driver, or an impaired or suspect driver. Now the variables start becoming, is it an enforcement task force (very little tolerance) or a check point or is the officer having a very good day or a very bad day, are you being a dumba** on his roads etc.

I can tell you, with rare exception if our unit had the word "traffic" on the marked unit you could plan on a "press hard, five copies" if stopped.

I have many friends who proudly serve as Troopers on the highways and most will say something similar to the above but please keep in mind an officer is allowed nearly total discretion in a speed violation and will (and should) use their judgement.

Now with that disclaimer having been said I'll honestly tell you I generally will run (other then those sudden bursts, totally caused by my Vette) no more then 10 over.

Their are several present members of the forum who are, or were LEO. See what the guys say.

Oh and as a final note beware of small towns!

Ken

The only minimum ste by statute is 5mph in excess of the posted limit.

Other than that, you're on your own
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I remember on my LAST DAY on Andrews AFB being pulled over and TICKETED for doing 33 in a 30 zone......
Unread 09-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

It's pretty much the Deputies discretion in my county, but generally speaking, 9 MPH or less OVER the limit, I won't stop you. School zones are different. We don't give much there. 3 to 5 MPH over and you will be stopped, and I'm sure you all know the fines are doubled as they are in a construction zone. Keep in mind though, if a law enforcement officer wants to stop you, you can be stopped for as little as 1 MPH over, you just won't be cited (except in the afore mentioned school/construction zones) But bear in mind, that is just my personal ethic, other may vary.....
85vette is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Ghost

Name :
Ghost is on a distinguished road

Exactly. Florida statute mandates a warning for 5 mph or less, except in school zones.

Tickets are discretionary, unless a department has rules/orders to the effect. Many departments or officers will give 10 over before stopping, but if you're doing 6 or more over, and the nice officer wishes to have a chat with you a pull you over to check you out, the officer is well within their rights to do so.... So keep that in mind if you are doing something else wrong, or you're license is suspended or that cold bud is sitting in the cupholder!!!

Back when I was a road toad (rather than the desk jockey I am now!) I would give 11 over in the 30 mph zone (Stop and write ya at 41) and 8 over in the 25mph residential zone ( stop and write at 33). Zero tolerance in the school zone. (I'd warn at 4 or less over, but write at 20).

To me tho, it was always more than just the ticket. Someone with a clean record, was humble and perhaps admitted to messing up would more than likely be sent on their way with a little pat on the head and a promise not to speed in my community again (repeat offenders got no break). I tell my officers to look beyond the ticket. Why is this person here now and at this time. What's in the car that doesn't look right. Are they nervous? Does the driver's story sound reasonable? Once got a guy with ooodles of cocaine on him, just because he was speeding some and his license was suspended. (Confiscated his Mercedes from him too!) I've arrested people wanted for manslaughter, agg battery, etc, just because I took the time to investigate rather than just scratch out the ticket and let em sign.

So, probably more than what you were looking for. No hard and fast rule. Bottom line is: If the officer wants ya, he/she will get ya!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Having traveled the interstates on the east coast ,i've found 10 over is safe as long as everyone else is 20 over.
I've been ticket free for fifteen years except officer Kaugh (Maine state police) 2mph under the speed limit @ 3am in the morning.I was having engine problems.A real chicken ship ticket.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Generally I'll stick to 10mph over or less. Typically i'll have the V1 going and wait for a guinea pig who's traveling faster than myself, wait for them to get roughly 1/2 mile in front of me and lock in behind them.

Away we go!